C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken ring land result,whats your opinion(lot of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 04:20 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Broken ring land result,whats your opinion(lot of pics)

So after a pass on the dyno may car began to smoke and the dispstick had pop really high with a good flow of oil I took everything apart because my new blcok is coming home in maybe a week or so.
The no 7 cylinder is busted,again since i got a new block coming i dont really care .Here are the result in pics:

My pass side head is perfect(of course) but my driver side head got some small pieces of the pistons stuck on the valve rod(seems to be melted) and some other fragment on the face of the heads(just under the intake valve),no hole on the face of the head.I took a lot of the fragment carefulley with a scrapper and a 800 sand paper but i stopped because i dont want to risk to mess those heads. They are less than 300 miles new (PRC LS6 2.5 CNC).The valve still seal perfectly and when i push it down the rest of the rod is clean.

So do i need a new exhaust valve ?
Do i need to take it to a machine shop or i can just continue to sand the fragment ?

Thanks
Eric
Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did u break the no. 7 ringland?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:16 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I think you mean valve "stem" not valve "rod".

Aside from that, this type of damage is typically caused by a lean condition. I would send your injectors off (label them carefully so that you KNOW which one was on the #7 cylinder) to have them serviced. These guys http://www.witchhunter.com/ are great and will tell you flow before and after.

Notice how clean the chamber is on the bad cylinder. It takes a lot of heat to burn all that stuff off.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 AM
84REDCROSSFIRE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcm95403
I think you mean valve "stem" not valve "rod".

Aside from that, this type of damage is typically caused by a lean condition. I would send your injectors off (label them carefully so that you KNOW which one was on the #7 cylinder) to have them serviced. These guys http://www.witchhunter.com/ are great and will tell you flow before and after.

Notice how clean the chamber is on the bad cylinder. It takes a lot of heat to burn all that stuff off.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I concur, looks like that cylinder was runing lean.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken ring land result,whats your opinion(lot of pics)

Quick Reply: Broken ring land result,whats your opinion(lot of pics)