C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Drain Plug Question

Old 08-21-2011, 09:41 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Radiator Drain Plug Question

Recently changed coolant & hoses. Drove a few hundred miles since, but just noticed some coolant on garage floor. It's coming from drain plug, which seems to be seated properly (I got my 1/8" drive & turned in counter clockwise a bit then clockwise to be sure its in).
Got a new plug on hand. How do you get the old one out WITHOUT BREAKING ANYTHING??
Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

The OEM drain plug is a fragile POS. It is real easy to break the pin off. Turn it 90 CCW (ONLY 90 degrees) and pull straight out with pliers. Then check to see if it has a pin on ONE side and an o-ring still on. If all that is good, then replace with new plug. If any of that is missing you will have to figure out if it is jammed up in the drain hole. I used an inspection camera when I had the same problem--good luck.

Last edited by jcgunn; 08-21-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-21-2011, 07:22 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the help guys!
Since I only put 3k miles annually on my Vette...& change coolant every 3-4 yrs....I doubt it's corrosion. Probably the o-ring as you suggested.
I just hate to waste 2 gallons of new Dex-Cool. But I guess there's no way to save it if changing the drain plug.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Catch it and filter it when you refill the tank. I bought a funnel that has a fine screen in it and it can be popped out to clean it as well.
Good idea!
Thanks!
btw...love ur ride!!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want to make sure that you have filtered the DexCool properly, put a coffee filter paper in the funnel. It will be a little slower to fill, but it will definitely get the garbage out.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:37 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
If you want to make sure that you have filtered the DexCool properly, put a coffee filter paper in the funnel. It will be a little slower to fill, but it will definitely get the garbage out.
What he said...FWIW I changed out the coolant after 75K and 8 years and it looked good as new.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:45 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I did that recently when I was changing my coolant recovery tank. Sloooow process though.

Painters use disposable paper funnels with a screen mesh built in for when they pour from the can into their paint guns. Much better. Cheap too.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:18 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

Coolant can look fine but still be corrosive, with no anticorrosion additive left. The only way to be sure is to use a coolant test kit for long life coolant.

These kits will allow you to check PH, anticorrosion additive level and freeze protection.

Coolant slowly becomes corrosive because minute amounts of carbon dioxide from the combustion process gets into the coolant, molecule by molecule, past the head gasket, forming carbonic acid. Once the anticorrosion additive is gone, the coolant will eat something else, like headgasket steel and aluminum parts.

Another option to using a test kit is to change coolant frequently, every three years for long life and every two for standard green appearing coolant. These intervals are conservative, of course, but you usually are unable to get all of the coolant out on a change without removing the waterpump.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:37 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

I forgot; test kit: ACUSTRIP, www.acustrip.com 800 947 2078

Less than $20 delivered.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default If you DRAIN IT IN A PAN you won't LOOSE IT

Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
Thanks for the help guys!
Since I only put 3k miles annually on my Vette...& change coolant every 3-4 yrs....I doubt it's corrosion. Probably the o-ring as you suggested.
I just hate to waste 2 gallons of new Dex-Cool. But I guess there's no way to save it if changing the drain plug.
Draining antifreeze in a collection pan, like one used for draining oil WON'T RUIN IT. The antifreeze won't even know it was out of the car and will be happy to be returned to your cooling system.
It's NOT MILK, won't spoil when it hits the air.

Have done this several times when I had to replace a defective water pump multiple times in a few months. Its not going to be ruined by draining and replacing with a funnel.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Well, after draining coolant into a clean jug....
replacing drain plug....
refilling cooling system....
bleeding system....
going on a test drive....
guess what?
next day there was more coolant on garage floor...again!
So this time I looked from top down.
turns out one of the small coolant hoses on right side was leaking....
& making it's way down to bottom shelf...
right under drain plug!
Took off air intake assembly & related parts in order to get to the only hose which is NOT accessible (of course) & snugged up worm gear clamp.
PROBLEM SOLVED!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default At least you didn't have an earthquake yesterday, or did you?

No data on you or your location. Nice pic though.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Drain Plug Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radiator Drain Plug Question