C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood adjustment

Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 PM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Hood adjustment

Just installed a mcm hood. I need to elevate the nose of the hood because it sits too low . I have the allowable adjustment on the hood as high as possible. Are shimms to be placed under the hoods hinge where the hinge bolts to the frame to elevate it or am I missing something here?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by flash of red
Just installed a mcm hood. I need to elevate the nose of the hood because it sits too low . I have the allowable adjustment on the hood as high as possible. Are shimms to be placed under the hoods hinge where the hinge bolts to the frame to elevate it or am I missing something here?
Is this a New hood from the resurfaced MCM company...??? One that was just made...? Because my MCM hood which came from one of two molds designed and made by the original owner designer..( Those molds were sold to BBP and Ecklars 5 years ago... MY original MCM hood sat on the front stops exactly where the stock hood sat...and I could raise the front of the hood another 1/4 inch with the front stops if I had to make an adjustment. I did not have to adjust the hinges either, it was as if I took the stock hood off, and then just bolted it back on.
Bill aka ET
Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

flash of red,
If you look at a past thread that shows the bottom side of E/Twins
MCM hood. You will see the extra rubber stops to each front side by the nose.
If you look at that area on your new hood, is there a small round
"key hole" on each side?
That would be the area where you could put a threaded adjustable bumper on each side.
Good luck.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 PM
SR-71
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the hood fitted? I'm eager to see how this new mcm hood fits and if it is as easy to deal with as the former set-up.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default hood

Originally Posted by SR-71
Did you get the hood fitted? I'm eager to see how this new mcm hood fits and if it is as easy to deal with as the former set-up.
Me too!, I need a hood for my 99. I want to get a good strong and correct fitting hood. No Chinesse crap. Post a photo or two. I love..... photos.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 AM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I really hope the "new" MCM hoods are not of a lesser quality than the originals from Motor City. My painter said the hood fit perfectly without adjustment and I have to say to my eye it is perfect. (Bought in 2004 direct from MCM).

Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Still waiting on my MCM hood. Sure you got an MCM hood!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 PM
gremmit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are sure you have an MCM hood? Reason I'm asking is because there are people on the forum, including myself, who wasted their money buying a hood that looks like the MCM hood. This hood has numerous quality and fitment issues. In my case and I have read others mention this as well, the front of the hood was lower than the front fascia.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:43 PM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dale002
Me too!, I need a hood for my 99. I want to get a good strong and correct fitting hood. No Chinesse crap. Post a photo or two. I love..... photos.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

So you posted, asking how to get the nose of your MCM hood up.
Is this the picture of your hood?
If it is... Is it an MCM hood?
If it is.. What was needed to get the nose up?
Geeze....
Old 09-05-2011, 06:58 PM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bumble-z
So you posted, asking how to get the nose of your MCM hood up.
Is this the picture of your hood?
If it is... Is it an MCM hood?
If it is.. What was needed to get the nose up?
Geeze....
I ordered it from MCM so, yes it is an MCM hood. I had to keep working with the front adjustment on the hood latch and added the andjustment stops on the front corners mentioned above. The hood is very nice but it had glue on the underside of the hood that was a bit messy. My painter did my MCM from about 5 years ago and says the hood isnt as clean as the earlier hood as far as the issues with glue on the raw cardon fiber. I am loving the hood.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:12 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

flash of red, sending pm.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Is this a New hood from the resurfaced MCM company...??? One that was just made...? Because my MCM hood which came from one of two molds designed and made by the original owner designer..( Those molds were sold to BBP and Ecklars 5 years ago... MY original MCM hood sat on the front stops exactly where the stock hood sat...and I could raise the front of the hood another 1/4 inch with the front stops if I had to make an adjustment. I did not have to adjust the hinges either, it was as if I took the stock hood off, and then just bolted it back on.
Bill aka ET
Reading Bills post, the molds are with BBP and Ecklers. the question is are they using MCM standards. Has anyone seen any of the hoods manufactured by BBP or Ecklers?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 PM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dale002
Reading Bills post, the molds are with BBP and Ecklers. the question is are they using MCM standards. Has anyone seen any of the hoods manufactured by BBP or Ecklers?
cant say I have seen the other guys hoods but I can say I am very happy with the quality of this hood. It had a bit more glue on the underside than I would have prefered as compared to my old MCM hood but it ended up fitting just right. I have a spectre works rear fascia and ACP rear fenders that both required a lot of prep and body work to look good and fit correctly, This hood didnt require any of that. I spoke to the mcm people a couple years ago when I was thinking of getting one of these hoods so they havnt just sprung up.

Last edited by flash of red; 09-05-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

cant say I have seen the other guys hoods but I can say I am very happy with the quality of this hood. It had a bit more glue on the underside than I would have prefered as compared to my old MCM hood but it ended up fitting just right. I have a spectre works rear fascia and ACP rear fenders that both required a lot of prep and body work to look good and fit correctly, This hood didnt require any of that. I spoke to the mcm people a couple years ago when I was thinking of getting one of these hoods so they havnt just sprung up.
The original team, of three people stopped making MCM molds 5 years ago..the #2 man died and the owner designer took seriously ill ( that was five years ago )2006... Mike the owner sold his molds to Ecklars and BBP.. they were not allowed to call them MCM hoods... and they did not use the process that they used at MCM which was vacuum formed.. Ecklars and BBP made hoods with hand lay up fiber glass for 1/2 the price.. these hood likes like the MCM hoods but the quality was crap... I also called MCM several years ago to see if Mike was any better.. but Mike sold the company, was still sick.. and they had not made any hoods..they were doing other things.. So since 2006, MCM as a new company who bought Mikes company name and website, did not make any molds until just recently... I suspect, MCM may be using the vacuum formed process from mike, and just started making them again.. they either bought back the molds from Ecklars, and BBP.. or they made a new mold using mike's design.... I suspect they are missing the other ingredient that made the original hood so good... they made those hoods with alot of love.. The may be able to control the glue issue with some time and experience.. but they have not been making hoods or have much experience..this is a New company,.
Bill aka ET

Get notified of new replies

To Hood adjustment

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood adjustment