C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Level and ??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 PM
grantbiz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Level and ??????

Im getting the "low oil level" message in my 02 Z. Here is what has happened (This entire time the actual oil level has been perfect, and car has been on an almost level surface):
Driving onto the hwy and I lose power for 1/2 second.
Two days later Im 1/5mi down the street after starting it and it just shuts off while driving. Try starting 10 times but the engine just shuts off after a second each time. Finally starts 20mins later and I get it back to the house. Now, once I start it to put it in the garage I get my FIRST "low oil level" message. Jack it up and find some melted wires (near the headers) that look like they may be bad... replace and starts fine. Im driving it easy for 20mins and my engine shuts off as Im coming to a turn... I coast into a gas station. I add 1qt oil just for the hell of it. No help, still getting error message and engine wont stay on for more than a second. Get it towed to the house and find the oil level sensor wires may be melted bad too (thanks headers!). Im disconnecting the harness from the sensor and I find someone had already crimped one of the two wires for repair... it broke off when I pulled slightly. Fine, it should be the wires then right (called Chevy and ordered new harness). I have them DISCONNECTED from the oil level sensor now and go to move it in the garage.
Here is whats weird...
Battery is dead so I charge it fully. Go to start it to move into the garage. Start it, pop the clutch to move it a whole 4ft before the engine shuts off again. BUT the second time I start it, its running perfect and stays on (oil level sensor is unplugged). Now, wouldnt the engine shut off again like it has been? At this time I have NO error message! I start it 2hrs later just to test it again... runs perfect again but now I have the "low oil level" error again.
Does the computer on C5s freak out if it has a low battery? Some of this just doesnt make any sense

Please help!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by grantbiz
Im getting the "low oil level" message in my 02 Z. Here is what has happened (This entire time the actual oil level has been perfect, and car has been on an almost level surface):
Two days later Im 1/5mi down the street after starting it and it just shuts off while driving. Try starting 10 times but the engine just shuts off after a second each time. Finally starts 20mins later and I get it back to the house. Now, once I start it to put it in the garage I get my FIRST "low oil level" message. Jack it up and find some melted wires (near the headers) that look like they may be bad... replace and starts fine. Im driving it easy for 20mins and my engine shuts off as Im coming to a turn... I coast into a gas station. I add 1qt oil just for the hell of it. No help, still getting error message and engine wont stay on for more than a second. Get it towed to the house and find the oil level sensor wires may be melted bad too (thanks headers!). Im disconnecting the harness from the sensor and I find someone had already crimped one of the two wires for repair... it broke off when I pulled slightly. Fine, it should be the wires then right (called Chevy and ordered new harness). I have them DISCONNECTED from the oil level sensor now and go to move it in the garage.
Here is whats weird...
Battery is dead so I charge it fully. Go to start it to move into the garage. Start it, pop the clutch to move it a whole 4ft before the engine shuts off again. BUT the second time I start it, its running perfect and stays on (oil level sensor is unplugged). Now, wouldnt the engine shut off again like it has been? At this time I have NO error message! I start it 2hrs later just to test it again... runs perfect again but now I have the "low oil level" error again.
Does the computer on C5s freak out if it has a low battery? Some of this just doesnt make any sense

Please help!
The oil level sensor has NOTHING to do with the engine running.

Pull your codes: http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Also, if the wiring is damaged from heat, then everything needs to be inspected.....especially the O2 harness and crank sensor wiring.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the computer on C5s freak out if it has a low battery?:
Yup... low batteries cause all kinds of weird issues on this car. Replace those melted wires and you should be good to go. Make sure they are away from the headers. Also, check your oil level. Since you stated you added a quart without checking the level you might be a quart too full now...
Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM
grantbiz
7th Gear

Thanks... Yea I figured the engine was shutting off automatically because it thought it had no/low oil (precaution). It's just weird that once I mess with the oil level sensor, the engine runs fine even though you say it has nothing to do with it. I don't doubt you, I'm just trying to understand this!
I have a professional tester and the only code it is throwing is P0803 (1-4 upshift). This has been on for a while even though I have reset it. The car has run perfectly fine. Any quick advise on that would be great!
Seems like I just need to inspect all my wiring and wrap those around the headers.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:45 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks... Yea I figured the engine was shutting off automatically because it thought it had no/low oil (precaution). It's just weird that once I mess with the oil level sensor, the engine runs fine even though you say it has nothing to do with it. I don't doubt you, I'm just trying to understand this!
I have a professional tester and the only code it is throwing is P0803 (1-4 upshift). This has been on for a while even though I have reset it. The car has run perfectly fine. Any quick advise on that would be great!
Seems like I just need to inspect all my wiring and wrap those around the headers.
Your "professional" tester, may not reveal all codes. My standing suggestion is to pull the codes, per the link I provided.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:16 AM
grantbiz
7th Gear

Alright I pulled all the codes per the link as well... NOTHING comes up.
Replaced the oil level sensor and the harness. All other wiring is fine.
Car still shows "low oil level". I had the car running for 5mins (all gages showed normal), pulled it out on the street, and the damn thing shut off again 3 houses down.
I have no idea what it could be now.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Replaced the oil level sensor and the harness. All other wiring is fine.
Car still shows "low oil level". I had the car running for 5mins (all gages showed normal), pulled it out on the street, and the damn thing shut off again 3 houses down.
I have no idea what it could be now.
You have fuel PSI???
Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

That's kinda hard to believe in all honesty. Did you cycle through all categories? You didn't even see any history codes?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is whats weird...

Please help!
Multiple melted wires and a disconnected battery. You probably have some history codes just based on those two things without your car dying for no reason. How did you read your codes? Pull them through the DIC per the link above. Be sure to cycle through all the modules...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 PM
grantbiz
7th Gear

I cycled through all the codes. My car only has 22,000 miles on it so I dont think its that hard to believe. And no, I dont track it.

I disconnected the battery for a day and the low oil level warning was gone. Now its back a day later.

I dont really have a way to check possible fuel related issues... filter, pump, etc. I think it might be one of these though.

Unless someone has some experience with this, I think my car just needs to go to Chevy because its driving me crazy (no pun intended!)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

I cycled through all the codes. My car only has 22,000 miles on it so I dont think its that hard to believe. And no, I dont track it.
Then you own the only C5 ever made that can run with melted wiring harnesses from Bubba's header install and repeatedly stall without throwing any codes. Everyone else's C5 throws codes when they sneeze BUT NO NOT YOURS.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 PM
grantbiz
7th Gear

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Then you own the only C5 ever made that can run with melted wiring harnesses from Bubba's header install and repeatedly stall without throwing any codes. Everyone else's C5 throws codes when they sneeze BUT NO NOT YOURS.
If you would actually read whats been going on you might ascertain from my descriptions that melted wiring wasnt my problem to begin with (just a potential future problem) so why would my car be throwing codes for such. Also, nowhere did I mention that I'm the original owner. For all I know some old codes could have been erased before I took ownership, but your the "expert" right!?

Unless you have some useful information, which is why this forum is here, run along. Thanks for your copious input!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

If you would actually read whats been going on you might ascertain from my descriptions that melted wiring wasnt my problem to begin with (just a potential future problem) so why would my car be throwing codes for such.
And if you knew thing 1 about these cars, you would understand that they're bristling with sensors and computer controls. And it's virtually impossible to short out any of its wiring without triggering codes. It's also incredibly difficult to get a C5 in a no-run/no-start situation without throwing codes. Even something as benign as low voltage while cranking can cause codes to pop up.

So there are 2 possibilities here.

1. You have an incredibly unusual stalling C5 with melted wiring that doesn't have any trouble codes

OR

2. You did not (correctly?) inspect said codes

Now if we two were to switch sides of this debate, honestly tell me which of those would seem WAY more plausible to you? You know I'm not the only incredulous poster here, right?

Unless you have some useful information, which is why this forum is here, run along. Thanks for your copious input!
You better grow a thicker skin damned quick if you wanna survive here.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 AM
grantbiz
7th Gear

I understand your skepticism. I too have noticed that most people cant do the simplest tasks, but I assure you I can press a couple buttons to start the scan and then press options to cycle through each module.
The following reads for each module: NO CODES

I must have an incredibly unusual Corvette! Fact: The wiring harness was melted, yes, but that doesnt mean it was actually shorted. Therefore, it wouldnt throw a code. I now know the wiring isnt the main problem. It seems like another issue was arising such as a fuel filter problem.

It is safe to assume that everything I have said I've done has been done correctly. With that said, I am here for suggestions & help, not sarcasm.

I have explained these issues (in person) to Chevy TECHNICIANS and even they do not know whats going on. They have even told me things contradicting facts from you guys on this forum which is pretty sad on their part (e.g. "the car wont run with the oil level sensor unplugged). I had my car RUNNING with it unplugged later that day! Unfortunately, they will be the ones "fixing" my car if I dont get help on here.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-07-2011, 11:38 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

hmmmmm, my first assumption would be fuel filter clogged
Old 10-07-2011, 04:28 PM
AZ 7TVETTE
Instructor

Unfortunately, you've just seen first hand that Chevy techs don't know much about C5's. Find yourself a good Corvette mechanic if you can.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 AM
grantbiz
7th Gear

I HAVE CODES NOW

Today I went to unlock my car and it starts freaking out like a relay was going. So I went to O'Reilly and had the battery tested. Battery (3 years old) is "fine" even though it was almost dead and I had charged it fully the week prior.
What I think is happening is something must be draining the battery very quickly and then the computer freaks out when its low.

After I put in the fully charged battery, I was able to get 4 codes (all 40-BCM module):
B0503 H (RH DRL Relay Circuit)
B0508 H (LH DRL Relay Circuit)
B2483 H (Backup lamp relay circuit)
B2528 H (Horn relay circuit)

I still have the "low oil level" warning, BUT MY CAR NOW RUNS with the fully charged battery. ???

Any ideas guys?

Get notified of new replies

To Low Oil Level and ??????

Old 10-08-2011, 03:50 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

I understand your skepticism. I too have noticed that most people cant do the simplest tasks, but I assure you I can press a couple buttons to start the scan and then press options to cycle through each module.
The following reads for each module: NO CODES
Ok, thank you for understanding where I'm coming from. And now I have a better understanding of where you're coming from as well.

I HAVE CODES NOW

Today I went to unlock my car and it starts freaking out like a relay was going. So I went to O'Reilly and had the battery tested. Battery (3 years old) is "fine" even though it was almost dead and I had charged it fully the week prior.
What I think is happening is something must be draining the battery very quickly and then the computer freaks out when its low.

After I put in the fully charged battery, I was able to get 4 codes (all 40-BCM module):
B0503 H (RH DRL Relay Circuit)
B0508 H (LH DRL Relay Circuit)
B2483 H (Backup lamp relay circuit)
B2528 H (Horn relay circuit)

I still have the "low oil level" warning, BUT MY CAR NOW RUNS with the fully charged battery. ???

Any ideas guys?
Those codes won't keep your car from running.

I suspect you have a battery with an intermittent internal short. A lead acid battery can seem perfectly fine one second and then dead as door nail the next.

If the battery was allowed to go completely dead, it should be replaced regardless.

Last edited by wcsinx; 10-08-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:14 AM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Batteries that have died and been revived should be shelved to live out their remaining life with little or not stress. Try a new battery.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:48 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue... Added 2 quarts of oil. Message went away... I don't think the shop I went to filled me up properly.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Level and ??????