C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Speed 224r Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:37 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchcole
I know you said that you measured the pushrod length, but if you're using stock heads (unmilled) and stock gaskets - there's no way that the right size pushrod is shorter than stock. In order to get that level of lift, the cam grinder has to make a smaller base circle cam. For me the difference between the stock cam and the Comp cam was 0.102" for base circle diameter. Divide that by 2 and I should be running an extra 0.050" pushrod over factory 7.400". I had already purchased 7.425" and that's what I'm going with.

That said - my car isn't back together yet.
he did mention he had LS7 lifters which from what I have read over and over again require a .050 shorter pushrod even though they are direct replacement parts.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM
mitchcole
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
he did mention he had LS7 lifters which from what I have read over and over again require a .050 shorter pushrod even though they are direct replacement parts.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...1-lifters.html
Old 11-28-2015, 04:37 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Did the shorter LS1 pushrods correct the valve train noise?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:41 AM
kmetros
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This seems to be common with Texas Speed 224 and 228 cams; as someone else eluded to it's not the lift but the open and close rates off of the seat. It's well documented that these cams will give you a sewing machine sound, with the solution being either less lash or more noise (headers) to cover the ticking sound. Neither were a great solution to me. I went with an EPS cam. It's amazing. Research this as anything else you can do at this point with the cam that's in there is a bandaid, it's pretty well documented here as well as on the LS1 and GTO forums.

Kurt
Old 11-29-2015, 09:47 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by kmetros
This seems to be common with Texas Speed 224 and 228 cams; as someone else eluded to it's not the lift but the open and close rates off of the seat. It's well documented that these cams will give you a sewing machine sound, with the solution being either less lash or more noise (headers) to cover the ticking sound. Neither were a great solution to me. I went with an EPS cam. It's amazing. Research this as anything else you can do at this point with the cam that's in there is a bandaid, it's pretty well documented here as well as on the LS1 and GTO forums.

Kurt
What are the numbers on your ESP cam?
Old 12-03-2015, 07:49 PM
kmetros
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
What are the numbers on your ESP cam?
EPS Custom Ground Comp Cam - 226/230 .598-.608 W/ 113 LSA

Quick Reply: Texas Speed 224r Cam question