C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C5 owner - can't get the codes

Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM
dcrflhr
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New C5 owner - can't get the codes

As a new C5 owner, I'm flying blind. Just bought a very clean 2000 6 speed roadster with these messages on the dash.

Service Traction System
Service Tire Monitoring System
Service ABS
Service Active Handling

After reading most of the pages on this forum...these sound common. I also have a 2001 Caddy and have been through the ECBM issue with that car. I sent the unit to ABS Fixer with $150. and it's good.

Here's my problem...other than C5 stupidity...I can't get the codes out. I've followed this forum and tried the "hold the options button down and press the fuel button 4 and then 5 times...nothing. The dash message center doesn't change...still the same message roll. Press the reset and it goes blank then resets the same message roll. I'm certainly missing something...any thoughts? Don't be shy...I'm too old to be embarresed.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

And the PAIN begins.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 PM
dcrflhr
Cruising

Appreciate the quick response...I called the ABS folks first. It was worth a try. It's a shame too...they were great to work with on my wifes Caddy. Every Vette has had it's share of issues. I've owned them since the 60's and have owned every decade except the 50's. But you may be right...let the fun begin! I owned an 84...can I pick them or what.

I actually followed these directions with no luck....several times. The message roll never changes until you hit the reset and then it goes blank and then back to the same roll. The engine service light is on and the traction light is on...the traction light stays on, no matter how many times you press the button on the console. Does this sound like anything anyone has seen before? I don't have the car with me but will try this procedure again tonight.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:44 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dcrflhr
Appreciate the quick response...I called the ABS folks first. It was worth a try. It's a shame too...they were great to work with on my wifes Caddy. Every Vette has had it's share of issues. I've owned them since the 60's and have owned every decade except the 50's. But you may be right...let the fun begin! I owned an 84...can I pick them or what.

I actually followed these directions with no luck....several times. The message roll never changes until you hit the reset and then it goes blank and then back to the same roll. The engine service light is on and the traction light is on...the traction light stays on, no matter how many times you press the button on the console. Does this sound like anything anyone has seen before? I don't have the car with me but will try this procedure again tonight.
Try the procedure again. Just because you have warning messages, does not mean the EBCM is bad!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:49 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to CLEAR all of the warning messages i.e. service active handling, door ajar, hatch ajar, etc. before you can pull the codes. The DIC screen should be blank when you go to pull them...
Old 10-17-2011, 07:46 PM
dcrflhr
Cruising

Thanks for the additional data point...hit the reset before you get the codes....it worked just like it should have. In going through the sections and clearing everything out....we're down to 2 codes:

section 28 TCS - C1255-C
section 40 BCM - B2723 H -C

What do they indicate?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 PM
02koolC5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

Hope that helps

Get notified of new replies

To New C5 owner - can't get the codes

Search this Thread