Where do the brake pad clips go? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

Where do the brake pad clips go?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Bowtieguy54

Default Where do the brake pad clips go?

I am about to install a set of GM performace front brake calipers & pads. The pads came with a bag of hardware. I know where 4 of the clips go - each end of the abutment brackets but there are 2 other clips. I believe they are squeal clips but I can not tell where they go from the instructions provided. Can ayone provide a picture or explain in detail where this clip goes and what it does? Is it really necessary?
Bowtieguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtieguy54 View Post
I am about to install a set of GM performace front brake calipers & pads. The pads came with a bag of hardware. I know where 4 of the clips go - each end of the abutment brackets but there are 2 other clips. I believe they are squeal clips but I can not tell where they go from the instructions provided. Can ayone provide a picture or explain in detail where this clip goes and what it does? Is it really necessary?
If they are what I think they are they clip to the brake pads positioned such that the piston contacts the metal guard instead of the back of the actual pad. Do you have a picture?
cdkcorvette7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
gotz06?
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7 View Post
If they are what I think they are they clip to the brake pads positioned such that the piston contacts the metal guard instead of the back of the actual pad. Do you have a picture?
I agree
gotz06? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
CHJ In Virginia
CF Senior Member

The third clip goes on the inside of the caliper. Look at it and you will see two small "arms" about 3/16" long pushed out from the rounded side of the clip. These locate the clip on the inside of the caliper. It will snap in place with a little pressure. This clip keeps the pads pushed all the way down and help alleviate squeel.
CHJ In Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Bowtieguy54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia View Post
The third clip goes on the inside of the caliper. Look at it and you will see two small "arms" about 3/16" long pushed out from the rounded side of the clip. These locate the clip on the inside of the caliper. It will snap in place with a little pressure. This clip keeps the pads pushed all the way down and help alleviate squeel.

Very nice explanation - thanks for the help!
Bowtieguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post--------> will explode in 7 days

just pop the other wheel off and look at it for guidance...
$$$frumnuttin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Where do the brake pad clips go?
  •