C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob programming problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:31 AM
TB04TJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob programming problem

I have a 02 Z06, when I follow these instructions:
Turn the ignition to ON.
Turn the radio to OFF.
Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC warning messages.
Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.
Press and hold the RESET button for 3 seconds.
Press the OPTIONS button until FOB TRAINING message is displayed.
Press the RESET button in order to begin the programming sequence. The message HOLD LK + UNLK 1ST FOB will be displayed.

When I do the last press of the RESET, I DO NOT get the 'HOLD LK + UNLK 1ST FOB' message. The FOB TRAINING message remains until I give up.

I have tried holding the buttons at that point but nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Other info:
Recently purchased the car and the one fob came with it.
The re sync did nothing.
The fob is the correct model for the car. (I checked the part number)
the fob has the number 2 on the back.
I have replaced the battery in the fob.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Heres the entire service manual procedure. Take the FOB to AUTO ZONE. They have a transmitter tester that will tell you if the FOB is at least transmiting

Theres TWO programming modes. FOB Programming and FOB RE-SYNC. You are trying to re sync when you should be re programming ALL your FOBs:

From the SERVICE MANUAL!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmitter Programming/Synchronization
Each transmitter has a unique Vehicle Access Code (VAC) that changes every 5 seconds. If a transmitter or receiver is replace, each transmitter must be programmed to the vehicle's receiver. Entering a specific button sequence on the DIC, up to three transmitters can be programmed into the receiver. After programming the transmitters to the vehicle, the receiver will update this code every 5 seconds in order to match the code programmed in the transmitter.

The transmitter may not communicate or become out of synchronization with the receiver if any of the following situations occurs:

The transmitter battery is disconnected.
The vehicle battery is disconnected.
The transmitter and the vehicle are separated for 2 weeks or more.
The receiver is disconnected.
Perform the synchronizing procedure if the transmitter does not communicate or becomes out of synchronization with the receiver. If the transmitter and/or receiver are replaced, preform the following programming procedure:

Programming Transmitters
Turn the ignition to ON.
Turn the radio to OFF.
Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC warning messages.
Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.
Press and hold the RESET button for 3 seconds.
Press the OPTIONS button until FOB TRAINING message is displayed.
Press the RESET button in order to begin the programming sequence. The message HOLD LK + UNLK 1ST FOB will be displayed.
Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds. The IPC will indicate when that transmitter is programmed and when to proceed to the next. Repeat this procedure for each additional transmitter or press the OPTIONS button to exit.
Programming Cancellation
The receiver will cancel the programming sequence if any of the following conditions occur:

The program mode is exited through the DIC.
The ignition is turned to OFF.
The three transmitters have been programmed.
The RFA system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no transmitters have been learned.
If the program mode is cancelled with less than three codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes just stored. If the program mode is cancelled before any code is stored, the codes still remain valid.

The receiver retains all current access codes in memory if either of the following conditions occur:

A programming sequence is interrupted.
The battery is disconnected.
Synchronizing Transmitters
Preform the following procedure if a transmitter cannot communicate or becomes out of synchronization with the receiver:

Move a programmed transmitter within range.
Press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 7 seconds.
The horn will chirp once when the transmitter is synchronized. Repeat this procedure for each additional transmitter if needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-12-2011, 10:13 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

While I cannot tell you what the problem is in your circumstance, I can tell you what it isn't. It isn't the fob or the fob battery. The car doesn't start lookiing for the fob until you press the last reset in the instructions and then you get the hold lock and unlock message. If it never gets to that point as you said, it will never program the fob. I don't know what in the car would stop you from getting the instruction to press the buttons. Are you pressing the reset fairly quickly after the fob training mode comes up?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:07 PM
TB04TJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Are you pressing the reset fairly quickly after the fob training mode comes up?
Pressing quickly or waiting produces the same result. There is a beep but the display still reads FOB TRAINING and never changes to the press lock and unlock message.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Just for GRINS,, Try this:

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Reconnect and clear ALL the DTCs. Then try to reprogran the FOBS. Ive see stranger things but,, thats my last hail Mary shot!

BC
Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
SPDKNGG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this tread is old...but any luck on why the display never goes past the "Fob Training" screen whwn reset is pressed once?
I am having this problem. I just got my brand new transmitter from gm. Ordered for my 99 C5 frc.
I followed procedure and can't get past fob training display...
Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDKNGG
I know this tread is old...but any luck on why the display never goes past the "Fob Training" screen whwn reset is pressed once?
I am having this problem. I just got my brand new transmitter from gm. Ordered for my 99 C5 frc.
I followed procedure and can't get past fob training display...
Any thoughts on this?
Have you tried PM'ing the OP to see what/if he was able to solve the problem????
Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 AM
whitelite
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me too.....
Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 PM
whitelite
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick update......
I found fuse #27 in passenger footwell blown. Replaced it and the missing prompt in the DIC came back and all is well.

Get notified of new replies

To Key fob programming problem

Quick Reply: Key fob programming problem