C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C5 Owner - Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 04:53 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New C5 Owner - Oil Change

Just purchased a 2001 convertible from a high end used car lot this past Wednesday. I didn't think I needed to check the oil before the ride home to NC. The next day while driving around town, the diagnostic display said there was 4% oil life left and to "change oil soon". No kidding I thought.

When I checked the oil, it was very black and even looked a little burnt. I can't believe the previous owner would drive a Corvette like this and let the oil get this way. I also noticed the oil pressure gauge is maxed out at 80 psi.

I was under the car today for the oil change and guess what. I can't do it. There's no room to put a wrench on the socket once its on the oil plug. I'll bet every one of you already knew that.

What can I do other than take it to the dealer for the oil change? I hate to drive it any more w/o fresh oil in it. And what about that oil pressure gauge? Other than that . . .

Thanks.

Last edited by KALAWAY; 12-18-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Don't use a socket, use a box end wrench! It will work, maybe a little tight but it will come loose.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

The oil pressure guage maxed is usually caused by the oil pressure sending unit. This is a common problem. Do a search for it and you will find more than you want to read. It sounds as if you did not check the car too thoroughly before buying it.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:57 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't done an oil change on this type of car you will need to make sure that it is level. If you drive it on ramps then you must raise the back wheels since the oil needs to flow forward.

Drain it out, new filter, fill it with synthetic like the factory recommends, and keep an eye on it for a while. Remember that it requires more oil than previous Vettes.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KALAWAY
Just purchased a 2001 convertible from a high end used car lot this past Wednesday. I didn't think I needed to check the oil before the ride home to NC. The next day while driving around town, the diagnostic display said there was 4% oil life left and to "change oil soon". No kidding I thought.

When I checked the oil, it was very black and even looked a little burnt. I can't believe the previous owner would drive a Corvette like this and let the oil get this way. I also noticed the oil pressure gauge is maxed out at 80 psi.

I was under the car today for the oil change and guess what. I can't do it. There's no room to put a wrench on the socket once its on the oil plug. I'll bet every one of you already knew that.

What can I do other than take it to the dealer for the oil change? I hate to drive it any more w/o fresh oil in it. And what about that oil pressure gauge? Other than that . . .

Thanks.

Take it back to where you bought it. Your oil pressure sensor has gone bad. It happens, happened to me. They should have told you if they knew. Not a real expensive repair. If they are hign end like you said, I bet they will do it And change the oil! Read your owners manual and learn the DIC basics then search here for way more info!

The people here will help but they like it when you do some research on any given problem first. There is a ton of info on the forum!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:55 PM
goober51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Todds9
Don't use a socket, use a box end wrench! It will work, maybe a little tight but it will come loose.
What size box-end wrench? I mean I'm lazy. I don't want to carry but one wrench under there.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by goober51
What size box-end wrench? I mean I'm lazy. I don't want to carry but one wrench under there.
Then go get fleeced by the dealer or oil change joint-LAZY!!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

15mm box end wrench. Check out this "How to" link for more info.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Default Helpful links

Lifting and jacking points:

http://home.earthlink.net/~theadmira...tible/id5.html

http://www.z06vette.com/diy_lift.php

Lifting pucks: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/jacking-pads.html

Oil change: http://97vette.com/howto/oil/index.html

Ramps: http://www.raceramps.com/maintenance...car-ramps.aspx

Oil pressure sensor: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...y-vectorz.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ake-video.html
Old 12-19-2011, 01:26 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Very very easy. Have you ever done an oil change before?

Lift and support the car safely
15mm wrench for the drain plug
Raise the rear of the car slightly higher than the front so all of the oil can drain from the pan
Remove oil filter and let oil drain from there
Check to ensure that the gasket on the old oil filter is not partially stuck to the pan (if it is scrape it off)
Lightly coat gasket on new oil filter with oil
Install new filter
Replace drain plug and torque 18 ft lbs
Level car
Fill with Mobil 1 5W30 Full Synthetic or any other oil that meets GM Spec 4718M
Reset Oil Life Monitor
Drive...

As others have said, your oil pressure is pegged because your oil pressure sending unit has failed. This is extremely common. Short term fix is to replace the sending unit (usually between $40 - $60 for the part). Not a difficult job; just remove the intake manifold and you'll have easy access. If you can change a spark plug you can probably do this. The long term solution is to relocate the sending unit so it won't fail so often. TPE (forum vendor) makes a good relocation kit.

Also, since you just got the car, pull your DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) by following the procedure below. After you pull them follow the instructions to reset ALL of them, then drive the car for a while and pull them again to see which ones reappear. That will give you an idea of what all (if anything) else you need to address.

Also, take a look at this sticky: great reading for new C5 owners: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ngths-etc.html

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
POST DTCS!!!

READING YOUR Engine Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

This procedure should be carried out any time you experience a problem with your C5. Most inexpensive store bought aftermarket code readers will ONLY read power train DTC’s. Reading the DTC’s with the C5 built in code reader will allow you to read ALL the modules in the vehicle.

The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:
1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open ect)
3) Press and hold the OPTIONS button
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL button four times within a 10 -second period.

Initially, the on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which will cycle through each module and shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each module. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes) If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.

There are two types of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, “C” or “H”. A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes. More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.

Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.

Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except E/M. Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press RESET To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.
NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles. There are a few body module DTC’s that if set will prevent the module from operating properly. Once the DTC is cleared, the module will return to full function. This is not true for power train DTCs.

If you have never read and cleared your codes, there will probably be a lot of old history DTCs. It is recommended that you clear your codes and see if any come back during a driving cycle. Those are the ones that you need to concentrate on diagnosing.

Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5.

NOTE and a WARNING. You can read the DTCs while the engine is running. I pull mine up all the time while driving.
WARNING. Don’t become distracted while reading DTCs while your driving and cause an accident!!!!! Use common sense and drive safe.

These are some very good C5 Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) explanation web sites!!! They also explain how to read the DTCs

Here are some very good sites that explain what DTC mean:

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic11755.php

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix when you post your DTCs!!
Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, so much for "high end" used car lot. Your oil pressure sender is shot and the dealer probably knew that. They just hoped you wouldn't notice since it's pegged at high. But, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. However, selling you the car without even doing an oil change just shows how "high end" they really are. That tells me they didn't even give the car a once over.

You should've checked it yourself or had the car checked by someone competent. Anyways, the dealer will be responsible for fixing the oil sender. I would also complain about the oil and have it changed by them. Just make sure they use the proper synthetic oil and quality filter.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Well, so much for "high end" used car lot. Your oil pressure sender is shot and the dealer probably knew that. They just hoped you wouldn't notice since it's pegged at high. But, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. However, selling you the car without even doing an oil change just shows how "high end" they really are. That tells me they didn't even give the car a once over.

You should've checked it yourself or had the car checked by someone competent. Anyways, the dealer will be responsible for fixing the oil sender. I would also complain about the oil and have it changed by them. Just make sure they use the proper synthetic oil and quality filter.
Maybe if he wasn't so lazy to take more than 1 wrench under the car, he would have CHECKED THE CAR OUT. Who buys a car without at LEAST pulling the dipstick??
Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
15mm box end wrench. Check out this "How to" link for more info.
If the original drain plug has ever been replaced with the newer type magnetic drain plug from GM, the head size on it will be 13mm.

Last edited by Quicksilver Vert 01; 12-19-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01
If the original drain plug has ever been replaced with the newer type magnetic drain plug, the head will be 13mm on it.
FYI....I use a magnetic drain plug and use a 15mm box wrench on it.
ie. yesterday.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 AM
tomringo
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Take it back to where you bought it. Your oil pressure sensor has gone bad. It happens, happened to me. They should have told you if they knew. Not a real expensive repair. If they are hign end like you said, I bet they will do it And change the oil! Read your owners manual and learn the DIC basics then search here for way more info!

The people here will help but they like it when you do some research on any given problem first. There is a ton of info on the forum!
take it back and have them check and fix the sending unit and change the oil. Then read and understand the car before you begin to work on it and decide what you can or can't do. No sense in making a situation worse by getting hurt or doing damge
Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by goober51
Wow.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by runner140*
FYI....I use a magnetic drain plug and use a 15mm box wrench on it.
ie. yesterday.
For some reason, new replacement magnetic plugs from GM parts all have a 13mm head size now.

Get notified of new replies

To New C5 Owner - Oil Change

Old 12-20-2011, 04:22 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Maybe the OP can learn something here:
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/bcvideo...ayerType=embed
Especially about 1:50 into it.

Last edited by dougbfresh; 12-20-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:56 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

wow, lots of anger in this thread for the OP. Instead of giving him such a hard time, maybe you should READ who actually writes the comments before assuming who wrote them.

reading is just something I learnded in skool but "KALAWAY" is not the same poster as "goober51".

Chill out guys
Old 12-20-2011, 07:57 PM
goober51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 Rooster
wow, lots of anger in this thread for the OP. Instead of giving him such a hard time, maybe you should READ who actually writes the comments before assuming who wrote them.

reading is just something I learnded in skool but "KALAWAY" is not the same poster as "goober51".

Chill out guys
goober51 was just kidding about being too lazy to tk more than one wrench under there. goober51 just wanted to know what size wrench it took for the drain plug.

Quick Reply: New C5 Owner - Oil Change