C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[PROCEDURE] - Fast 92 Intake, and LS2 Throttle Body Install (C5 Corvette)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by b_rad!
I will be installing a released black FAST and LS2 TB in a few weeks and was wondering if you used your old air coupler or needed a larger one to accommodate the move from the 78mm LS6 to the 90mm LS2 TB. Great write up! I will definitely be referring to it.
I removed the stock air intake, air bridge, and air coupler in 2005.

The red air coupler that I have connecting to the Throttle body has a 4" Inner diameter. It worked on both my 78mm LS6 TB, and my new 90mm LS2 TB. I'm not sure what the stock coupler inner diameter is, but i suspect it must be around 4". The air bridge I have is also larger than stock and is from West Coast Corvette. I also have a Vararam intake.

To get the most out of the Fast 92, I would consider upgrading your intake, air bridge and air coupler.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 AM
b_rad!
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is my set up as of now. Looks like mine would probably work but car is still in storage and have not purchased a LS2 TB to compare. Here are a couple of measurement conversions I found when checking out options of air couplers on the net.

3.0" - 76mm
3.5" - 89mm
4.0" - 102mm

So 4" will definitely fit with room to spare!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by b_rad!
Here is my set up as of now. Looks like mine would probably work but car is still in storage and have not purchased a LS2 TB to compare. Here are a couple of measurement conversions I found when checking out options of air couplers on the net.

3.0" - 76mm
3.5" - 89mm
4.0" - 102mm

So 4" will definitely fit with room to spare!
Your setup should work fine. I think its the same air bridge as mine (same size/shape). Your also going to need to tap into the air coupler. Your air coupler is shorter than mine. There are various methods to get this done, but here is what I did with mine.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

My install went well, minor hiccups was I had to bend that coolant water line a bit, the one on the front, that connect the heads, I also had notch the edge of the waterpump housing, the mouth of the intake was making some contact with my Fast 92, so just hit it with a dremel.

then the coupler was another, I running the stock airbridge with a Vararam. and it's not a common size. The LS2 TB Lip is 12.50" in circumference, so 3.97" diameter. I used a home depot 4"x4"x4" coupler for test fitting, it works on the TB and stock Z06 airbridge, but slightly short. So I'm going 4"-4" coupler, 5" long. that outa get ur dun.
On test drive, The VE table def needs tweaking. but It pulls nicely
now to adjust the VE and recheck my AFRs
Old 03-30-2013, 03:42 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Good to hear !!!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:56 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

well I feel like an idiot, just realized the factory coupler fits
after having about 7hrs of my life in measuring, rigging, Home depot-ing, researching for one to fit the LS2 TB
on the upside, I save about $100 bucks. I reducer in this size is mucho money
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM
VetteBoy1979
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 3-4-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09-'12

I'm to the step to remove the fuel line, and for the life of me, I can't get it off. I started by buying a crappy metal one from AutoZone, and gave up. Went and bought the same kit you use in the write-up and my finger tips feel like I've been bass fishing all day. I've worked on it for a good 30 minutes and can't get it off.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by VetteBoy1979
I'm to the step to remove the fuel line, and for the life of me, I can't get it off. I started by buying a crappy metal one from AutoZone, and gave up. Went and bought the same kit you use in the write-up and my finger tips feel like I've been bass fishing all day. I've worked on it for a good 30 minutes and can't get it off.
Thats strange. Mine just popped off after pushing the tool into the line, and pulling on it.

Check out the last 30 sec of this video....

Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Bumble Boogie
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: River City USA, East of the Mississippi Peoples Republic of Illinois
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel line removal

The key to easy removal of the fuel line is to relieve the fuel line pressure. Am I correct?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bumble Boogie
The key to easy removal of the fuel line is to relieve the fuel line pressure. Am I correct?
I did not have to on mine... but it certainly makes sense that it would be better to relieve the pressure.

Toque
Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Push the line towards the intake as you push the disconnect tool in, then pull them both back together. If you are tugging on the line as you try to insert the disconnect tool, you may have trouble getting it to release the locks.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Guys:

I found a better way to create a line from the valve cover to the intake coupler.
After 2 years the glue I had in my coupler was beginning to crack.
This is a much better connection.

See my procedure on my web site.

www.ToqueZ06.com

Last edited by Toque; 03-02-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:19 AM
menardst
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up... I have not done the catch can mod (yet), but it looks as though you can vent the valve cover to the lifter valley vent line by adding a T-piece to the upper line instead of drilling into your intake. Is that possible or would there be an issue with going that route? Also, I am looking into swapping out my LS6 intake for a FAST and was wondering why you chose to go with the 92mm and not the 102. Is it overkill for a naturally aspirated LS6? Thanks for any insight.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by menardst
Great write up... I have not done the catch can mod (yet), but it looks as though you can vent the valve cover to the lifter valley vent line by adding a T-piece to the upper line instead of drilling into your intake. Is that possible or would there be an issue with going that route?
I thought of the same thing...

See this post and my question at Post #37

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-breather.html

Originally Posted by menardst
Also, I am looking into swapping out my LS6 intake for a FAST and was wondering why you chose to go with the 92mm and not the 102. Is it overkill for a naturally aspirated LS6? Thanks for any insight.
Seems as there are differing opinions on this. So take my choice as only one opinion.

I chose the 92 and LS2 TB because it was easy for me to install myself in my garage. I wanted to learn how to do this stuff myself.

I hear that "some" C5's have clearance issues with the FAST 102's at the firewall. I did not want to fight with that issue. I also heard that some folks have issues with the water pump (I think its the water pump) hitting the 102 Throttle body. I also did not want to mess with that issue.

I hear that the 102 TB's are a bit more tricky to tune as well.

The 102 Fast is similar $ to the 92mm Fast. I got a brand NEW LS2 TB for $201. The Nick Williams 102 TB is a LOT more $$. You also have to buy new fuel rails with the 102 setup.

I hear that you may gain 5 extra HP with the 102 setup.

for my situation the 5 extra HP was not worth the extra $$$ and not worth the risk of me having fitment issues at the firewall, or having fitment issues with the water pump/TB clearance.

Hope this helps
Toque
Old 02-09-2019, 10:20 AM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 886 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Guys:

I installed a new FAST 92mm Intake, and new LS2 Throttle Body this weekend. I hope to get it tuned in the next week or so.

I wrote a procedure on the install on my web site.
www.ToqueZ06.com
Scroll down to "Fast 92 intake, and LS2 Throttle Body install"

Hope this helps someone out !
Toque
I know this is an ancient thread....but I'm in the process of planning my next steps in the never ending quest for more fun....and I'm considering a set of Mamo 220s with a used ported Fast 90 (if I can find one) if not the 90 than a 92 and ported LS2 TB.

I reviewed your write up on the installation process as well as many of your other write ups with step by step procedure and pictures. Brother I just have to say...Fanastic work!

Well done Toque! Seriously some of the best DIY procedural write ups on the interweb for C5s.

Thank you for sharing sir!

Cheers,
Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hardcore; 02-09-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Johnny Hardcore
I know this is an ancient thread....but I'm in the process of planning my next steps in the never ending quest for more fun....and I'm considering a set of Mamo 220s with a used ported Fast 90 (if I can find one) if not the 90 than a 92 and ported LS2 TB.

I reviewed your write up on the installation process as well as many of your other write ups with step by step procedure and pictures. Brother I just have to say...Fanastic work!

Well done Toque! Seriously some of the best DIY procedural write ups on the interweb for C5s.

Thank you for sharing sir!

Cheers,
Johnny
Thanks Johnny ! Appreciate the comments.
Hope your new project works out for you !
Good luck !

Toque
Old 02-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 886 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Thanks Johnny ! Appreciate the comments.
Hope your new project works out for you !
Good luck !

Toque
:

Thanks bud. Feels like I'm pissin in the wind every time I think I'm satisfied with this car. It's been a few years since I've done anything but drive it and put fluids in it. The time has come again for more mods. It's going into Cartek next week to have a 4.10 diff and hardened output shafts installed. That should hold me over through Spring.
Then the new heads and a Fast...or the Fast then the new heads. Depends on budget of course.

You can guarantee I'll be using your DIY as my guide when I do the intake.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:17 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Johnny Hardcore
:

Thanks bud. Feels like I'm pissin in the wind every time I think I'm satisfied with this car. It's been a few years since I've done anything but drive it and put fluids in it. The time has come again for more mods. It's going into Cartek next week to have a 4.10 diff and hardened output shafts installed. That should hold me over through Spring.
Then the new heads and a Fast...or the Fast then the new heads. Depends on budget of course.

You can guarantee I'll be using your DIY as my guide when I do the intake.

Its a sickness we all suffer. Mods and more mods. Haha

Toque

Quick Reply: [PROCEDURE] - Fast 92 Intake, and LS2 Throttle Body Install (C5 Corvette)