C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Life: 5 Months and 4200 Miles Since Reset

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Oil Life: 5 Months and 4200 Miles Since Reset

I noticed for the first time after I changed the oil and reset it that I had the oil monitor light go on after 5 months and 4200 miles. I have been driving it regularly to work. I verified that the time and mileage was correct since I write down the mileage and date of each oil change plus I reset one of the trip odometers each time I do change the oil. So I'm positive I only got 5 months and 4200 miles on the last oil change. Don't know why but it seems I should be able to go longer on Mobil 1.

Art
Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 PM
DIXZ
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems very normal to me, especially since you only average 28 miles a day.

What did you expect?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRenoman
I noticed for the first time after I changed the oil and reset it that I had the oil monitor light go on after 5 months and 4200 miles. I have been driving it regularly to work. I verified that the time and mileage was correct since I write down the mileage and date of each oil change plus I reset one of the trip odometers each time I do change the oil. So I'm positive I only got 5 months and 4200 miles on the last oil change. Don't know why but it seems I should be able to go longer on Mobil 1.

Art
If I am reading this right it sounds like your LOW oil level light came on. The oil life is reported through your DIC and I have never had a light at 0% on my DIC.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:30 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I was getting "Change Oil Soon" and when I would clear it I would get the percentage remaining. It's on "Change Oil Now" with 0%.

Art
Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 AM
fishmen222
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would change it and keep up with the DIC%. Sounds mighty early to me even with city driving (assumption). I am at 6500 and have 40% to go (98% highway). Will change mine as usual @ 11k with M1. Trust the DIC. Smarter enginneers than us did the research to make it work without warranty payouts from mama GM. Just my .02 cents....
Old 01-13-2012, 11:32 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I'm going to suggest that the oil monitor reset that you did 4200 miles ago didn't actually reset it. I've seen this happen to several people.

You kind of have two choices as I see it. Trust yourself that you changed it 4200 miles ago and drive another 4200 (or more) before you change it Or do as suggested above and change it now and insure the reset works. Then check the percentage often to see what is happening.

Change it, reset it and check to make sure the monitor is working properly.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Life: 5 Months and 4200 Miles Since Reset

Quick Reply: Oil Life: 5 Months and 4200 Miles Since Reset