C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock Code Radio

Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM
AvidSkier
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock Code Radio

I want to know if anyone has had this problem.

I replaced the battery and had to enter my code to unlock the radio. Followed the steps in the owners manual and the directions someone posted a while ago. Exceeded my 8 times. Took the car today to the GM Dealer to unlock. They left the car on for an hour to unlock so they could enter the code. The code would not work. Even the GM Dealership could not unlock the code. They said they would have to remove the radio and send it out for repair. They were not even sure it could be repaired. It would cost a lot of money to repair an 8 year old radio.

So my question is, has anyone replaced their radio/cd player when it was in the LOC mode and had problems when purchasing a new radio/CD player? I'm wondering if I replace the system it still won't work
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder why the radio had a lock code to begin with. No one in their right mind would break into a car to steal an old AC Delco radio. I left the theft code disabled on mine.

It would be definitely cheaper to find a used OEM radio on Ebay. There are loads of them because that model was used in several GM cars. You just need to make sure that it functions with the Bose speakers.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 PM
PHILLY JOE
PHILLY JOE

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

why i don,t know, go to a chev. dealer. they can unlock it with your vin. if luckey they will do it for free. otherwise they charge 35.00 or more/// joe
Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Jeff in Den
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PHILLY JOE
why i don,t know, go to a chev. dealer. they can unlock it with your vin. if luckey they will do it for free. otherwise they charge 35.00 or more/// joe
Ummmm...

Originally Posted by AvidSkier
Took the car today to the GM Dealer to unlock. They left the car on for an hour to unlock so they could enter the code. The code would not work. Even the GM Dealership could not unlock the code.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:35 PM
3whit
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I replaced my Radio in my C6 for a 6 disc in dash OEM unit purchased from another forum member .It was locked .I went to my local dealer and using the codes off from the glove box label they were able to unlock the unoriginal radio and all worked fine. It cost $35.00 . My radio was functioning in previous owners car so I knew that it was functional with no issues.A good tech can do it if the equipment is working to begin with as your was I presume. Just have to find a tech who is willing to spent 30-45 min.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

time for an upgrade
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
I wonder why the radio had a lock code to begin with. No one in their right mind would break into a car to steal an old AC Delco radio. I left the theft code disabled on mine.

It would be definitely cheaper to find a used OEM radio on Ebay. There are loads of them because that model was used in several GM cars. You just need to make sure that it functions with the Bose speakers.
Or put up a wanted ad in the for sale section here. Someone always selling these pretty cheap.

Theftlock has to be one of the dumbest ideas GM ever came up with. Honestly, who is gonna steal a Mexican radio. Maybe it's just a scam so dealers can make a buck unlocking them.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 AM
AvidSkier
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I completely agree about the lock. Who would still this radio even at the time it was installed in a new vehicle. I thought my scumbag ex-husband had disabled it when the battery was replaced 3 years ago, but obviously he did not do this.

It's definitely time for an upgrade! I plan to keep the Vette for a long time so I'll get a good system.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 PM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon, we all know the only reason we lock the radio is so that the funky red-LED flashes when the car is dormant, giving the interior a cool, uber-Germanic high-tech look...

Get notified of new replies

To Lock Code Radio

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lock Code Radio