C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 PM
RonSherwinski
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Rotors

I have a 2001, though the car has 27k and looks new, the rotor are rusty around the center hub and the outter edge and it looks awful. I like the slotted and drilled new rotors and it appears that EVERYONE is in the rotor business now, WHO do you recomend for nice rotors, that will STAY looking nice, I have no reason to upgrade to larger calipers or anything, just nicer rotors...... Thanks for the input -----Ron
Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

TPS Motorsports... http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/corvet...-calipers.html Great prices with the apperance that you want. I went with the slotted and black zinc coating. In hindsight, I should have gone silver zinc, but I'm still happy with the look I got.

Originally Posted by RonSherwinski
I have a 2001, though the car has 27k and looks new, the rotor are rusty around the center hub and the outter edge and it looks awful. I like the slotted and drilled new rotors and it appears that EVERYONE is in the rotor business now, WHO do you recomend for nice rotors, that will STAY looking nice, I have no reason to upgrade to larger calipers or anything, just nicer rotors...... Thanks for the input -----Ron
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...9-shipped.html
Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IMHO if you are not tracking your car I would replace the rotors with AC Delco parts from GMPartshouse for several reasons.
1. GM does have the original specs for this rotor and the vendors that they have make them have passed the GM quality assurance program. Like it or not they do have a good quality program.
2. Rotors are made from grey iron. This is a very cheap material but it has qualities that are desireable for rotors such as superior sound dampening. Grey iron is THE cheapest iron and foreign foundries may or may not have good control of the rather broad spec for this type of iron.
3. Drilled rotors will ALL eventually crack due to the drilling operation causing a stress riser. Grey iron is graphite with a matrix of pearlite, ferrite, martinsite, and some other minor materials. The structure is fairly brittle and has a low elasticity modulus. Therefore it is prone to cracking under load and the heat cycle does not help either. I love the way the drilled and slotted rotors look and you might also but don't be surprised when they crack.

I could go on with more reasons, but you get what you pay for and these are brake components and as such designated as safety items. Do you want to trust GM or another company with your life? This is not to say that there are not good rotor manufacturers out there just that you really do not know who is making the product or more importantly who is standing behind the product.

Call Gene at GMPartshouse or go on line...........he will fix you up with good GM parts at a good price. Good Luck.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Power Slot

I recommend these:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...1&autoModClar=

I've been running them (cryo version) for many years now and they still look new. They are of excellent quality, keeps the pads perfectly parallel and "fresh", and are well protected from corrosion.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
TPS Motorsports... http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/corvet...-calipers.html Great prices with the apperance that you want. I went with the slotted and black zinc coating. In hindsight, I should have gone silver zinc, but I'm still happy with the look I got.
I am very happy with the rotors I got from TPSMotorsports.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Very same ones I purchased. I like that they use Centric rotors (Centric = Stoptech manufacturer).

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I am very happy with the rotors I got from TPSMotorsports.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I also have the rotors shown above from TPS Motorsports. Had them for about a year with no problems.

Gene

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Rotors

Quick Reply: C5 Rotors