C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Smoke from rear of engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:13 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Smoke from rear of engine

My nightmare continues. I just replaced both heads on my car with new CNC heads from TSP and replaced gaskets and lifter trays as well. I went to crank her up yesterday and everything was good, lots of smoke from headers, etc, but it eventually went away. Then bled the coolant system and monitored coolant temps, I let the engine idle to 174* and it stayed there for 5 minutes and then I drove it less than 1/8 mile in which it never went above 190*, but then smoke white odorless smoke began coming through the vents and from under the hood, but coolant temps never rose above 190*.

I pulled the car into the garage and popped the radiator cap and there were no bubbles and it didnt pour over. I had the wive rev the engine, and no bubbles in coolant, no smoke from tailpipes and no coolant loss and I have the heater core bypassed. I then checked the oil, no sign of coolant, so I ruled out head gasket.

Smoke is coming from the rear of the engine, more so on the passenger side than drivers side in the very back. I shined a flash light down there with the engine running and I couldn't see where the smoke was coming from, what could this be? I had 2 buddies tell me that I needed to drive the car longer to make sure I've burned off all the residual oil from the head change. I need you guys thoughts and suggestions?

Last edited by All_Motor_C5LS6; 03-05-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by All_Motor_C5LS6
.....but then smoke white odorless smoke....
I've never smelled odorless smoke. I've smelled odorless water vapor, but never from a vehicle; coolant is usually pretty easy to determine from the smell.

You sure you don't need your nose calibrated?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I would drive it some and see if it burns off.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Without actually being there and taking a look see,I think your buddies may be right.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Without actually being there and taking a look see,I think your buddies may be right.
^^^^^ What he said....
Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if I get this right you have no loss in oil pressure, your temps ar great, you can't smell any coolant ( unmistakable smell) and your heater core is bypassed. There's no reason i can see why you shouldn't be able to drive it a while longer, monitoring you oil temp and poressure aqnd yor coolant temp, to see if whatever is on you headers burns off. Drive it, but not like you stole it.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Smoke from rear of engine

Quick Reply: Help Smoke from rear of engine