C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body cleaning...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throttle Body cleaning...

What to use to spray clean the throttle body???
carb cleaner ok??
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish Whiskey
carb cleaner ok??
I used CRC throttle body cleaner.....its what I had and was on sale.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

carb cleaner ok??
I would not advise carb cleaner. Use TB cleaner, especially if you may need to use it on other cars in the future as well. Slightly different formulation.

There are several different brands out there and they are not expensive. As mentioned, CRC brand is one of them.

HTH
Old 03-22-2012, 11:19 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Carb cleaner will work on the TB just fine.Just dont use it on the MAF.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Carb cleaner will work on the TB just fine.Just dont use it on the MAF.
Some TBs yes, some TBs no. The C5 TB I would likely agree with you since I don't think it has a protective coating inside the throat area that others do. Many TBs have a protective coating inside that a TB cleaner is designed to not remove/destroy.

Mutiple cars in the household? Use a TB cleaner for all just to be safe. Only have a C5 in the household? Carb cleaner will work.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 AM
corpsedub
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to own another car with a DBW system(gti) and i found this procedure very useful.

first, get a can of this:

with DBW systems its important not to move the plate because the system can only adapt to so much change in the positioning .

so you can use some qtips and some folded stips of paper or napkins to clean around and through the blade. this prevents any unwanted movement of the blade itself.

below is a procedure for and GTi, but since most DBW throttle bodies are the same, this could be used here.

throttle body cleaning
Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Some TBs yes, some TBs no. The C5 TB I would likely agree with you since I don't think it has a protective coating inside the throat area that others do. Many TBs have a protective coating inside that a TB cleaner is designed to not remove/destroy.

Mutiple cars in the household? Use a TB cleaner for all just to be safe. Only have a C5 in the household? Carb cleaner will work.
We used to use TB cleaner in the shop until we compared formulas and found they were identical,but cost us 3.57 a can more.We have 5 car lines and have never had a problem yet.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Right on the mark! I know FORD uses a coating and carb cleaner will destroy it.

C5s don't have any coating especially if there ported!!

Its just best to use what is recommended. I have used CARB cleaner on the Corvette C5 and C6 TBs without issue.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM
87convpaul
Intermediate

Does the throttle body need to be removed to properly cleaned?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 87convpaul
Does the throttle body need to be removed to properly cleaned?
Nope. Spray then wipe. I use the plastic handle of one of my larger screwdrivers to help hold the blade open so I can spray and wipe inside with a clean rag. After cleaning, I leave the screwdiver in there for another minute or two to evaporate any excess fluid.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently cleaned mine for the first time. I removed it from the car, figuring that it would be easier to thoroughly clean it when it was out of the engine bay. It was a simple & straightforward procedure. I also took that opportunity to bypass the coolant line that runs through the throttle body. I used CRC Intake Cleaner for the cleaning. I held the plate open during the cleaning process and used an old toothbrush to get the stubborn deposits of the inside of the unit. My car suffered no negative effects from manually holding the plate open. The car had just over 50,000 miles when I performed the cleaning. I noticed an instant improvement in throttle response after the cleaning.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Gamdrunk
Advanced

Default Throttle body cleaning

Nope. Spray then wipe. I use the plastic handle of one of my larger screwdrivers to help hold the blade open so I can spray and wipe inside with a clean rag. After cleaning, I leave the screwdiver in there for another minute or two to evaporate any excess fluid.
I want to know if it is safe to manually move the blade cuz when I clean mine I have my battery disconnected to clean the maf
Old 10-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Gamdrunk
I want to know if it is safe to manually move the blade cuz when I clean mine I have my battery disconnected to clean the maf
As long as the ignition switch is OFF, you can move the blade by hand any where you need to.

NOTE!!! The throttle blade is NOT spring loaded to snap shut. It will FLOP to the semi shut position when not powered by the PCM which is completely (NORMAL) When you turn on the ignition, it will erect SOLID to the last known stable idle position.

I spray a rag or paper towel with brake parts cleaner and wipe the bore and blade clean. You can also wipe out the intake manifold and clean some of the OIL out of the floor.

BC

Bill
The following users liked this post:
El original (10-08-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 07:44 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine One
I recently cleaned mine for the first time. I removed it from the car, figuring that it would be easier to thoroughly clean it when it was out of the engine bay. It was a simple & straightforward procedure. I also took that opportunity to bypass the coolant line that runs through the throttle body. I used CRC Intake Cleaner for the cleaning. I held the plate open during the cleaning process and used an old toothbrush to get the stubborn deposits of the inside of the unit. My car suffered no negative effects from manually holding the plate open. The car had just over 50,000 miles when I performed the cleaning. I noticed an instant improvement in throttle response after the cleaning.
I did the same thing to mine as well, along with the MAF...Huge difference !

Last edited by SG Lou; 10-06-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:23 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

I am wondering those with blackwing, vararam or K&N type filters intakes how dirty are your throttle bodies??

I have used paper and mine still look brand new
Old 10-08-2016, 03:14 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by sirdano
I am wondering those with blackwing, vararam or K&N type filters intakes how dirty are your throttle bodies??

I have used paper and mine still look brand new
lol yeah, I stick with the paper eliminate and ziptie mod. it's just tuff to apply the right amount of oil wet filters.

I cleaned my TB few weeks back for the first time since I've owned the vehicle and did make a noticeable throttle response.

Just looked it today and still nice and clean
​clean.

Simple maintenance cam make a positive difference.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:16 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

carb cleaner ok??
btw, the car might not start on the first attempt.

Turn the key on and press the gas pedal once and then crank. Worked for me that way.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:30 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

I use brake and parts cleaner. It works great is not to harsh and does not leave a residue like carb cleaner does.

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Body cleaning...

Quick Reply: Throttle Body cleaning...