C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Specs for 01 Coupe????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Re: Alignment Specs for 01 Coupe???? (Buckmaster)

Here's a listing of all:

Z06 Wheel Alignment Specifications
Front Alignment Specs Service Allowable Service Preferred
Front Individual Toe +0.14 to -0.06 degrees +0.04 degrees
Front Sum Toe +0.28 to -0.12 " +0.08 "
Front Individual Camber +0.50 to -0.70 " -0.20 "
Front Cross Camber +/- 0.25 " within 0.50 "
Front Individual Caster +6.4 to +7.4 " 6.9 "
Front Cross Caster +/- 0.25 " within 0.50 "
Steering Wheel Angle +1.0 to -1.0 " 0.00 "
Rear Alignment Specs Service Allowable Service Preferred
Rear Individual Toe +0.09 to -0.11 degrees -0.01 degrees
Rear Sum Toe +0.18 to -0.22 " -0.02 "
Rear Thrust Angle +0.10 to - 0.10 " 0.00 "
Rear Individual Camber +0.32 to -0.68 " -0.18 "
Rear Cross Camber -- within 0.50 "

Here are spec for all C5's

RPO Operation Service Preferred Tolerance Front Alignment Specifications
All Front Individual Toe + 0.04 +/- 0.10
All Front Sum Toe + 0.08 +/- 0.20
All Steering Wheel Angle 0.0 +/- 1.0
FE1 & FE3 Front Individual Caster + 7.4 +/- 0.5
FE1 & FE3 Front Cross Caster Within +/- 0.5 --
FE1 & FE3 Front Individual Camber - 0.20 +/- 0.5
FE1 & FE3 Front Cross Camber Within +/-0.5 --
FE4 (Z06) Front Individual Caster + 6.9 +/- 0.5
FE4 (Z06) Front Cross Caster Within +/- 0.5 --
FE4 (Z06) Front Individual Camber - 0.70 +/- 0.5
FE4 (Z06) Front Cross Camber Within +/- 0.5 --
Rear Alignment Specifications
All Rear Individual Toe - 0.01 +/- 0.10
All Rear Sum Toe - 0.02 +/- 0.20
All Rear Thrust Angle 0.0 +/- 0.10
FE1 & FE3 Rear Individual Camber - 0.18 +/- 0.5
FE1 & FE3 Rear Cross Camber Within +/- 0.5 --
FE4 (Z06) Rear Individual Camber - 0.68 +/- 0.5
FE4 (Z06) Rear Cross Camber Within +/- 0.5 --

:cheers:
Old 05-17-2002, 07:05 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to set the alignment for how you drive the car. So' how do you drive the car? I also assume your new tires aren't runflats, that can make a difference also. So tell us, what driving habits do you have that wear your tires down the most.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:36 PM
RoliO
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same size combo on my car so I would like to know to. :D I don't drag race my car, but I like to drive fast (who doesn't), corner hard, and I may do an autox or two sometime. :cheers:
Old 05-18-2002, 02:11 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the same setup on my 2001 Coupe. I took it to a chevy dealer and they aligned it to Z06 specs per my request. I do some road racing and wanted the negative camber of the Z06 without going too far to adversly effect tire wear. I tried an aligment shop in town and they screwed it up, the dealer actually did a good job !

2001 Coupe, Black, Lt Oak, 1SC, Z51, 6spd, XMS hyper black wheels with BFG KDs 265/35/18, 295/35/18, lowered, Donalsdon, GMS MAF, Belanger headers, Corsa exhaust and X pipe. 341 RWHP 353 RWTQ
Old 05-18-2002, 11:52 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

OK Buckmaster, so you do some drag racing, most likely you loose more rear rubber here than anywhere else. Set your tires straight up with the road (0 degree camber). "Other than that, mainly street driven", your tires are now wider than the original tires and the tread edges will suffer even more from a small amount of negative camber. If you run all your tires straight up (0 degree camber) I think you'll be very pleased with your tread condition 20,000 miles from now. With 0 camber (which is within GM specs)you will give up a slight amount of lateral G-force during extreme cornering, but unless you're on the track or cornering at a point it always feel like it's ready to break lose, you won't notice a difference. Here's an old post of mine and what I'm running for alignment specs now. I'm over 60,000 miles on my 97. The

Here's my thoughts on alignment. I too had tire wear problems and was running on my third set of front tires by the time I acquired enough information about the C5 alignment to get things figured out, (I think). I set my own alignment in my home shop so I can try lots of settings with little expense.
First off, keep this in mind, you're driving a high performance car and a little aggressive tire wear is not out of line for a performance car running neg. camber, which is necessary to attain the cornering G-force ratings GM advertises.
According to GM document #776629, which gives alignment specs for the C5 & Z06, the (Preferred Front Camber is -.20 degree) for the C5 with FE1 & FE3 suspension. The (Camber Tolerance is +/- .50 degree). So if your front camber is anywhere between (-.70 degree to +.30 degree), you are within GM specs. You hardly need an alignment machine to get camber within that tolerance, that's easy hand level and eyeball range.
The Good Year run flat tires have a wide, square shoulder tread and a very hard sidewall which will put much more pressure on the edges of the tread, due to a small camber angle, and will result in what seems to be aggressive tread wear on the edges of the tread, usually the inside due to the neg. camber. Non-runflat tires have a much softer more compliant sidewall and is part of the reason the Z06 runs more negative camber.
The more square (0 degree camber) you set a wide tread tire, like the runflat, with the road, the less abnormal tread wear you will see.
I think it would be a wise move for GM to provide a set of "performance specifications" for aggressive driving, and another set of "touring specifications" for normal highway driving. They would need to provide a brief pro & con statement of the two specs and let the driver decide which way he wants his car set up.
So, back to the question as to what to use for good tire wear. Following is what I am currently running and with 11000+ miles on the Stone RFT’s , there is no visible or measurable wear variation in the tread.

Front
Camber: 0.0 degree, (error to the pos. side less than .10 degree if not exactly 0)
Caster: 5.0 degree, (steers a little easier and not nearly as important for street as it is for performance)
Total Toe: 0.1 degree pos.
Rear
Camber: 0.0 degree, (error to the neg. side less than .10 degree if not exactly 0)
Total Toe: 0.0 degree to neg. 0.1 degree
Old 05-19-2002, 12:02 AM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Alignment Specs for 01 Coupe???? (RoliO)

Polio, if you corner hard and autox, keep a close eye on the inside and outside edges of the tire tread. Try Z06 specs and watch for which edges of the tires that show wear first. If its the inside edges, then you have too much neg. camber for the driving you actually do and need to reduce the negative camber, if its the outside edges, then you need to increase the neg. camber for your particular driving habits.

Pick out the Z06 specs from the bottom set of numbers Patches posted above. Some of the Z06 specs in the top set of numbers are not correct.

[Modified by alanh, 10:08 PM 5/18/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment Specs for 01 Coupe????

Quick Reply: Alignment Specs for 01 Coupe????