C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously?! Steering Wheel Position Sensor - DISCONTINUED!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not an attorney, but if it gets bad enough, maybe class action suit. Diminshed value, loss of use, etc.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:44 PM
SIMM1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fas2c
I know several people that have been looking for 1.5 years. I have searched high and low can't find one. I have also heard that used ones do not work, I have a used one but one of things I noticed is that when I removed it, a small tab on the sensor snapped off and from what I can tell it cannot be removed without breaking the small tab, I'm pretty sure the tab was for aligning the sensor. Good luck on this one, I really feel bad for all the people with early C5 EBCM and Steer Pos Sensor problems, what the hecks a guy to do gm???
All I know, is I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Something has to be done. It's crazy!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
Not an attorney, but if it gets bad enough, maybe class action suit. Diminshed value, loss of use, etc.
Non-starter plus you can still drive the car.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Oh well!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Oh well!
Yeah, I know. Sux.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Go test drive a c5 and steal it
Old 04-04-2012, 12:16 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
thats the dumbest thing I ever heard they make parts for much older cars
Actually your comment may be the dumbest ever posted! They do indeed make parts for older cars....common parts that are shared across car lines,not very specific year,and model parts. Sometimes a dealer can turn up NOS sitting on another dealers back shelves or warehouse if you are lucky.

Last edited by rebelheart; 04-04-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SIMM1
Thank you. I didn't want to tell him but you're right. It was dumb.
Thirty five years in the business tells me you both havent a clue how things really work.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

If you look at other threads on this subject, it appears there are three (IIRC) versions of this part: 97-98, 99-00 and 01 on. For whatever reason (used in other cars?) the only one not available is 99-00 and when it was, it was priced at like $375. The others are available in the aftermarket at less than $100--DOESN'T MAKE SENSE--unless that two year span was entirely a unique part to Corvette only. Heck all it is is a glorified resistor inside a piece of plastc.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

By chance did you have any alignment work or had the steering wheel detached from the linkeage. Years ago that happened to me & I found they put the steering rod back together 360 deg out. After a search I found that by measuring the voltage I get everything back together and not a problem since.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

I have NO issues with my car at this time. Just trying to accumulate parts for known problems before they become NLA.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Catnip
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Your car is 13 years old,sorry but they do not make parts for cars forever.Have you tried any of the Corvette specialty wrecking yards?
I have a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 and there isn't a part on that car I can't get either new or NOS. My neighbor has a 1957 Nash Metropolitian and parts are easily available. Lets face it..GM has abandoned the early c5's and don't give a ****.

Catnip
Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I have NO issues with my car at this time. Just trying to accumulate parts for known problems before they become NLA.
Me too!

I just ordered a SWP for my '01 from Gene...should be on my front porch tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Catnip
I have a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 and there isn't a part on that car I can't get either new or NOS. My neighbor has a 1957 Nash Metropolitian and parts are easily available. Lets face it..GM has abandoned the early c5's and don't give a ****.

Catnip
Reman parts for classic cars are a big business,C5's wont be classics for many years!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:58 AM
Ironman433
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2fas2c
I know several people that have been looking for 1.5 years. I have searched high and low can't find one. I have also heard that used ones do not work, I have a used one but one of things I noticed is that when I removed it, a small tab on the sensor snapped off and from what I can tell it cannot be removed without breaking the small tab, I'm pretty sure the tab was for aligning the sensor. Good luck on this one, I really feel bad for all the people with early C5 EBCM and Steer Pos Sensor problems, what the hecks a guy to do gm???
After two months of constant searching high and low worldwide for this damn sensor, writing back and forth to Chevy (who as no help - gave me links to try checking... TO CLASSIC PICKUPS PARTS or OBSOLETE CARS 20 years older than my 1999!!) I even had GM PartsDirect make me do a pre-order confirmation and they said they had it until a week after I paid for it!! 4 other places took my money for it, too, and I'm still waiting on Corvette Specialties in CA to refund me $400 after a month!!

I found a used one on eBay that just arrived - tab is on the back of it - but I was hoping to get some info on putting it on here... I'm thinking I should take it to a dealer and have them give it a shot if it is possible to use a used one rather than screw up my only shot at fixing this for now anyway!

I did think it was weird that '97, '98, '01...'05 were all white plastic and $85 to buy but '99 and '00 are black plastic and $375...?? WTF?!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:55 AM
Ironman433
Instructor

Originally Posted by rebelheart
If this sensor was indeed only used one year, in one model of car, there isnt much of a market for it,I wouldnt hold my breath if I were you.
It was only used for two years - 1999 & 2000...
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Catnip
. Lets face it..GM has abandoned the early c5's and don't give a ****.

Catnip

Talking to a friend about this the other day. He was telling me this isn't just a C5 problem. GM has also abandoned many other vehicles that are still somewhat valuable...High End SUVs, Pickups and Cadillacs for instance. The answer by GM is those were built by the "Old GM" and we are now the "New GM" Seems anything built before the bailout is considered obsolete.

The attitude is evident when I call my local GM dealer which is one of the largest distributors in the area. I called to price the TPMS for my 99. The parts person cracked " I didn't know they had Tire Pressure Monitors on anything that old.

I think this is a general trend with manufacturers. I have 3 Sharpe HVLP spray guns I bought new some years ago. I recently went to the website looking for some service kits. According to Sharpe, these are obsolete but they give recomendations on which current models replace them. If they think I'll spend another grand or so with them, they are nuts. Typical in todays society...it breaks...toss it in the trash and get a new one.

Get notified of new replies

To Seriously?! Steering Wheel Position Sensor - DISCONTINUED!!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Ironman433
Instructor

Originally Posted by fendermender
Talking to a friend about this the other day. He was telling me this isn't just a C5 problem. GM has also abandoned many other vehicles that are still somewhat valuable...High End SUVs, Pickups and Cadillacs for instance. The answer by GM is those were built by the "Old GM" and we are now the "New GM" Seems anything built before the bailout is considered obsolete.

The attitude is evident when I call my local GM dealer which is one of the largest distributors in the area. I called to price the TPMS for my 99. The parts person cracked " I didn't know they had Tire Pressure Monitors on anything that old.

I think this is a general trend with manufacturers. I have 3 Sharpe HVLP spray guns I bought new some years ago. I recently went to the website looking for some service kits. According to Sharpe, these are obsolete but they give recomendations on which current models replace them. If they think I'll spend another grand or so with them, they are nuts. Typical in todays society...it breaks...toss it in the trash and get a new one.
Looking through eBay hoping to get lucky and find one of these, I think I may have stumbled onto the best solution yet to fix this discontinued sensor problem!! I'd like to get some feedback on my idea...

I happened to run across this on eBay:

I happened to notice that it already had a steering wheel position sensor on it and it was just like the ones you can still buy at Auto Zone for $85 all day long:

Not like this used one I paid $361 for!

The entire column - steering wheel, turn signals and all - was cheaper than that used sensor was and it says that they're all interchangable from '97 to '04, so it makes more sense to upgrade the steering colmn to one that you can still buy parts for to me...?? Right?!

Any input on that idea?!

NOTE:
I wrote the guy that I bought the used sensor from about exchanging it for a column (if he had one) and he replied:

"It was centered on removal so provided you install it just as you received it, it will work.
Can also be readjusted by anyone with a GM Tec II."
Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman433
Looking through eBay hoping to get lucky and find one of these, I think I may have stumbled onto the best solution yet to fix this discontinued sensor problem!! I'd like to get some feedback on my idea...

The entire column - steering wheel, turn signals and all - was cheaper than that used sensor was and it says that they're all interchangable from '97 to '04, so it makes more sense to upgrade the steering colmn to one that you can still buy parts for to me...?? Right?!

Any input on that idea?!

I would think that you would have to make sure the electronics (SWPS) would be compatible between the car you have, and the car the column came out of....
Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 PM
bontrager
Pro

Originally Posted by Ironman433

I happened to notice that it already had a steering wheel position sensor on it and it was just like the ones you can still buy at Auto Zone for $85 all day long:

Not like this used one I paid $361 for!

Any input on that idea?!

NOTE:
I wrote the guy that I bought the used sensor from about exchanging it for a column (if he had one) and he replied:

"It was centered on removal so provided you install it just as you received it, it will work.
Can also be readjusted by anyone with a GM Tec II."
Do you have the auto zone part number?
They have a part number for a steering wheel sensor for a 2000 vert for $268.00 but claim they can't get if from the supplier

thank you

Quick Reply: Seriously?! Steering Wheel Position Sensor - DISCONTINUED!!