Seriously?! Steering Wheel Position Sensor - DISCONTINUED!! - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Dart Machinery

Seriously?! Steering Wheel Position Sensor - DISCONTINUED!!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Ironman433
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironman433's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Montrose CO
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Seriously?! Steering Wheel Position Sensor - DISCONTINUED!!

My 1999 Corvette Z51 Coupe been getting the DTC Codes:

C1286 - Steering Sensor Bias Malfunction
C1287 - Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction

and whenever I slow down to make a corner my Active Handling System becomes activated and then tells me to Service Active Handling Soon and then to Service Vehicle Soon.

I've ordered this part twice only to learn that GM has DISCONTINUED it... It's not enough that for 1999 & 2000 models, it costs $335 when years either side of that it only costs $80 +/-... But now what do I do?! I've contacted every Chevy dealer within 1000 miles and every parts house under the sun without any luck... Any suggestions?!

Isn't that kind of an IMPORTANT PART to just up and discontinue without a solution for guys like me? Are we just supposed to take them to the land fill now or what?!
Ironman433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Ricbear
CF Senior Member
 
Ricbear's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2011
Location: Palm Coast Fl
Posts: 361
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Get a hold of Marc at vettenuts he may be able to get a working used one for you..
Ricbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Ironman433
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironman433's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Montrose CO
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricbear View Post
Get a hold of Marc at vettenuts he may be able to get a working used one for you..
Cool. I'll ask him. I had Just Vettes do a used seach without luck but it's worth shot. I hesitate on a used steering part but it's not like I have an option!! Thanks!
Ironman433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
SIMM1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman433 View Post
My 1999 Corvette Z51 Coupe been getting the DTC Codes:

C1286 - Steering Sensor Bias Malfunction
C1287 - Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction

and whenever I slow down to make a corner my Active Handling System becomes activated and then tells me to Service Active Handling Soon and then to Service Vehicle Soon.

I've ordered this part twice only to learn that GM has DISCONTINUED it... It's not enough that for 1999 & 2000 models, it costs $335 when years either side of that it only costs $80 +/-... But now what do I do?! I've contacted every Chevy dealer within 1000 miles and every parts house under the sun without any luck... Any suggestions?!

Isn't that kind of an IMPORTANT PART to just up and discontinue without a solution for guys like me? Are we just supposed to take them to the land fill now or what?!
I've been looking for this part for a year and a half. I found out it's dicontinued because there is a contract dispute. It's between a couple of manufacturers who can make the part and GM. That's all I know at this point. I took my vette out for the season and I'm afraid it won't pass inspection because of this. Very frustrated and angry.
SIMM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
rebelheart
CF Senior Member
 
rebelheart's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Lacombe Louisiana
Posts: 4,237
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Your car is 13 years old,sorry but they do not make parts for cars forever.Have you tried any of the Corvette specialty wrecking yards?
rebelheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
SIMM1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

As I stated. There are manufacturers waiting to make the part. They make steering wheel sensors for years going back at least a decade before my year. It's not that its old and they stopped making it. It's this particular year, 1999. I was told it may be resolved sometime this summer.
SIMM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
rebelheart
CF Senior Member
 
rebelheart's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Lacombe Louisiana
Posts: 4,237
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

If this sensor was indeed only used one year, in one model of car, there isnt much of a market for it,I wouldnt hold my breath if I were you.
rebelheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
SIMM1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There will be. The more people need them, the more in demand there will be. I'm in constant contact with John's Corvette in New Hampshire and he's telling me he has a hand full of people needing the part. Thankx for you support.
SIMM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
dgrant3830
Tech Contributor
Wounded Warrior Escort '11
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dgrant3830's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Van Buren Arkansas
Posts: 10,961
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Gene Culley might be a source to ask as well... www.gmpartshouse.com
dgrant3830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
PhilsFRC
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Metairie LA
Posts: 1,048
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Part #32-26058286-applies to 1999-2000:
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...&searchString=
NLA anywhere. Hopefully a new manufacturer will step up, and/or the dispute be resolved.
PhilsFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
SIMM1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you, all. So far, no luck.
SIMM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Support Corvetteforum!
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
 
pewter99's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Posts: 154,508

Thanked 151 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelheart View Post
Your car is 13 years old,sorry but they do not make parts for cars forever.Have you tried any of the Corvette specialty wrecking yards?
thats the dumbest thing I ever heard they make parts for much older cars
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
LoneStarFRC
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
 
LoneStarFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: "What do you mean I short circuited??? I never did ANY SUCH THING!!!!!"
Posts: 36,565
Thanked 148 Times in 141 Posts
Default

I'm not certain what the problem may be with this particular vendor/manufacturer that is supplying this item, but one thing I do know and that's, if GM isn't/doesn't pay it's bills, some of these vendors cut them off. It's happened before; not terribly often, but it has happened and if it's a "single-source" part, then GM and it's customers are screwed.
LoneStarFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
PhilsFRC
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Metairie LA
Posts: 1,048
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

If you had the technical specifications, you could probably have them manufactured in Taiwan for $30 each!
PhilsFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
SIMM1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
thats the dumbest thing I ever heard they make parts for much older cars
Thank you. I didn't want to tell him but you're right. It was dumb.
SIMM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
SIMM1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC View Post
I'm not certain what the problem may be with this particular vendor/manufacturer that is supplying this item, but one thing I do know and that's, if GM isn't/doesn't pay it's bills, some of these vendors cut them off. It's happened before; not terribly often, but it has happened and if it's a "single-source" part, then GM and it's customers are screwed.
I called the GMparts warehouse and got the cold shoulder. They don't have it or make it anymore. "Where am I supposed to find one," I asked. I got a flat out "I don't know" and a long silent pause. Interesting. I'm turning to salvage yards. I'm really worried I may not pass inspection this month.
thank you, Lone Star.
SIMM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
LoneStarFRC
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
 
LoneStarFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: "What do you mean I short circuited??? I never did ANY SUCH THING!!!!!"
Posts: 36,565
Thanked 148 Times in 141 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMM1 View Post
I called the GMparts warehouse and got the cold shoulder. They don't have it or make it anymore. "Where am I supposed to find one," I asked. I got a flat out "I don't know" and a long silent pause. Interesting. I'm turning to salvage yards. I'm really worried I may not pass inspection this month.
thank you, Lone Star.
Have you called Gene Culley @ gmpartshouse or Bob Wendorff at Fichtner Chev? Bob is at 1-800-234-5284. Both are excellent at their jobs and can give you the latest. I have used Bob before to track down a part nationwide before and got it drop shipped to me (GM will rarely do this and we had to get uhh, "creative" )

Unless you just live in a hardass location like Kalifornia (sorry Kalifornia, but it's true) I would not think this would keep you from getting a safety inspection sticker. A failure of this part only affects your active handling system IIRC, and the car can be safely driven without it as far as I know, just like cars have been for decades before there ever was such a thing as "active handling". Check it out.
LoneStarFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
SIMM1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC View Post
Have you called Gene Culley @ gmpartshouse or Bob Wendorff at Fichtner Chev? Bob is at 1-800-234-5284. Both are excellent at their jobs and can give you the latest. I have used Bob before to track down a part nationwide before and got it drop shipped to me (GM will rarely do this and we had to get uhh, "creative" )

Unless you just live in a hardass location like Kalifornia (sorry Kalifornia, but it's true) I would not think this would keep you from getting a safety inspection sticker. A failure of this part only affects your active handling system IIRC, and the car can be safely driven without it as far as I know, just like cars have been for decades before there ever was such a thing as "active handling". Check it out.
I just called Fichtner and spoke with someone named Tom. (Bob was at lunch). He was very nice, and of course, couldn't locate one. He'll look for me.
Thank you, Lone Star.

Everyone has been helpful and the word is out. I'll keep plugging!

DRIVE SAFE!!
SIMM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
LoneStarFRC
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
 
LoneStarFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: "What do you mean I short circuited??? I never did ANY SUCH THING!!!!!"
Posts: 36,565
Thanked 148 Times in 141 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMM1 View Post
I just called Fichtner and spoke with someone named Tom. (Bob was at lunch). He was very nice, and of course, couldn't locate one. He'll look for me.
Thank you, Lone Star.

Everyone has been helpful and the word is out. I'll keep plugging!

DRIVE SAFE!!
Tom works for Bob in the parts dept. Bob is the manager. If Tom told you he would try to help you. I'm sure he will; he's helped me before.
LoneStarFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #20
2fas2c
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I know several people that have been looking for 1.5 years. I have searched high and low can't find one. I have also heard that used ones do not work, I have a used one but one of things I noticed is that when I removed it, a small tab on the sensor snapped off and from what I can tell it cannot be removed without breaking the small tab, I'm pretty sure the tab was for aligning the sensor. Good luck on this one, I really feel bad for all the people with early C5 EBCM and Steer Pos Sensor problems, what the hecks a guy to do gm???
2fas2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Seriously?! Steering Wheel Position Sensor - DISCONTINUED!!
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Completely disabling Active Handling? C 5 C6 Corvette General Discussion 15 02-25-2016 09:00 PM
    Active Handling Fixed by dealer dbvetteman C5 General 47 09-25-2015 04:00 PM
    '99-'00 Steering Wheel Position Sensor Repair Alternative Ironman433 C5 Tech 7 01-05-2015 11:38 AM
    Service Active Handling & Active Handling Warming up MMSmart C5 General 4 11-11-2014 01:24 AM
    Service Handling Code:C1288 Calibur45 C5 Tech 8 07-08-2008 10:52 AM


    Tags
    1999, 2000, buy, c5, code, column, corbette, corvette, covette, position, remove, senor, sensor, steering, wheel

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.