C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to silence that door bing - bing - bing with driver door open?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default How to silence that door bing - bing - bing with driver door open?

I don't mind the door bing - bing - bing with ordinary driving. But when working on the car with the door open it would be nice to turn that off. Anyone know how?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the key out the ignition, or roll the window down and close the door...
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

I would like to know how too. It's nice to listen to the music while detailing with the doors open. Obviously can't pull the key in that case. I usually just turn up the tunes and drown out the ding thing.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I looked into this a while ago because it drives me nuts when I'm working on the car. The bad news is I never found a solution. I'd hoped there might be a fuse that I could pull but the audible warnings system is controlled by the IPC fuse #19 on the footwell panel. It controls way more functions than just the chime.

The IPC generates most of the warnings and the BCM controls the key in and lights warnings.

There are servicing procedures for chime always on and chime inoperative but neither point to a place where you cold inhibit the "bong". Where the chime stops working, the manual assumes the BCM is bad and the procedure is to replace it.

I guess there must be a point at which the bong feeds into the speaker but I can't find it.

Here's the wiring diagram if it helps.

Last edited by DeeGee; 03-26-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

A remote switch can be added to break one wire of the chime speaker so that it won't operate, to do this the dashboard needs to be removed because the wiring and speaker are located inside. I've done this and once you get the dash out the rest is easy.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Fast one
A remote switch can be added to break one wire of the chime speaker so that it won't operate, to do this the dashboard needs to be removed because the wiring and speaker are located inside. I've done this and once you get the dash out the rest is easy.
I seem to remember its on the IPC. Do you have any more details? Not sure its on my mods list but it would be good to know.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Here's the rear view of the gage cluster.

Here's the view with the cover removed to show the chime speaker.

This shows the wire to the speaker cut, it doesn't matter which one of the two is broken by a switch. A small electrical connector was used so the SPST switch/wiring can be separated from the gage cluster for easy removal. A closed switch = chime allowed, an open switch = silence.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Very nice. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Great post

Not sure I'm brave enough. I think I'll have to live with it
Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Jeff in Den
Pro

The Door Ajar Switch is located on the door latch mechanism. Easier to get to then pulling the instrument panel I would imagine. As the switch is closed when the door is open, all you would have to do is insert a switch to interrupt the ground when the door is open.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:46 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jeff in Den
The Door Ajar Switch is located on the door latch mechanism. Easier to get to then pulling the instrument panel I would imagine. As the switch is closed when the door is open, all you would have to do is insert a switch to interrupt the ground when the door is open.
That could work Jeff. I'd always discounted it because the switch seems to be integrated within the latch.

I guess you could tap into the circuit near the DDM connector. Is it a dedicated ground or shared with other door functions? Seems to be dedicated to the ajar switch from the diagram. I guess you could put a switch on the hot side and achieve the same.

There seems to be a difference in what's on the wiring diagram and the information in the connector decode. From the connector info, Connector C1 controls the door functions (seems to show C2 on the diagram which controls door lock and window motors):

On C1
Pin 10 (gray/white) shows as the hot feed for the LH Door Ajar Switch Signal.
Pin 14 (black/white) shows as a ground.

Door Module Connector C1

Can any electrical gurus clarify the info?

Last edited by DeeGee; 03-28-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 AM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, I love where this thread is going...I am going to have to subscribe to this.

Is there any reason you would want the chime turned "ON" other than emergency warnings while driving?

I could see having a tiny switch underneath the dash where you would only turn it to "ON" when you are going on a long trip or something.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Jeff in Den
Pro

Originally Posted by DeeGee
That could work Jeff. I'd always discounted it because the switch seems to be integrated within the latch.
It is, that's why those rods people use at car shows keep the lights and chime off...They engage the latch while holding the door open.
Originally Posted by DeeGee
I guess you could tap into the circuit near the DDM connector. Is it a dedicated ground or shared with other door functions? Seems to be dedicated to the ajar switch from the diagram. I guess you could put a switch on the hot side and achieve the same.

There seems to be a difference in what's on the wiring diagram and the information in the connector decode. From the connector info, Connector C1 controls the door functions (seems to show C2 on the diagram which controls door lock and window motors):
It appears to be dedicated, but wouldn't be hard to verify. I'm not sure what year this schematic is from, so there could easily be differences in the connector pin outs. I'm thinking if you found the ground wire where it passes through the door and into the body of the car, it would be easy to insert a switch just prior to the ground.

Then all you would have to do is open the door, engage the switch, and no more interior lights or annoying chime while the door is open.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 AM
TTOP350
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate door chimes, key in ign switch and any bing boing bong ding dong chime in a car!
I remove them in everything I drive.
I think that lil speaker would look nice in my vice while I beat it to death with a hammer... Then I'll go have a nice glass of Crown Royal while I cook my steak on the grill!
Did i mention I hate the chimes and beepers in the cars?? LMAO
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM
minitech
Safety Car

[QUOTE=Jeff in Den;1580401305]It is, that's why those rods people use at car shows keep the lights and chime off...They engage the latch while holding the door open.QUOTE]

So could I just put something in the door latch while working on the car to silence it?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Get a cheap boom box to listen to while your working on the car-they are CHEAP anymore-got one in my garage.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast one
Here's the rear view of the gage cluster.

Here's the view with the cover removed to show the chime speaker.

This shows the wire to the speaker cut, it doesn't matter which one of the two is broken by a switch. A small electrical connector was used so the SPST switch/wiring can be separated from the gage cluster for easy removal. A closed switch = chime allowed, an open switch = silence.
I like this idea, what's it like pulling the dash cluster? I've pulled the dash cluster on every car I've owned but the C5

Get notified of new replies

To How to silence that door bing - bing - bing with driver door open?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:40 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZedO6
I like this idea, what's it like pulling the dash cluster? I've pulled the dash cluster on every car I've owned but the C5
Probably easier than any other car you did. Search "Gauge Bezel" and find photo directions on how to get it out.

Also, consider doing some gauge bezels. It is easy and a tasteful addition to the car. Forum vendors should have the bezels.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jeff in Den
Then all you would have to do is open the door, engage the switch, and no more interior lights or annoying chime while the door is open.
And we could all detail in blissful silence.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Would a switch on one door disable the clime or would you need to switch both doors if both were opened? I don't think the door switches are like older cars where you can shove a tennis ball between them and the door jam.

Quick Reply: How to silence that door bing - bing - bing with driver door open?