C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 vs. LS1 Mixup

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 AM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DISTRIBUTOR SEALS!?!?!?!?

Wow you got taken. Someone on the GTO board took their car to the stealership too, and they told him his intake manifold was broken and leaking coolant!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you can buy a ZO6 crate engine from GM (for lots less) why did they go to an after market rebuilder? Unless you agreed before hand to accept a replacement part numbered engine(LS1),the dealer has NO choice but to install the proper engine.Even if they were shipped the wrong engine,it is up to them to make sure it is right BEFORE they installed it.The rebuilder should have your engine for a core,least of all they should be able to have that builder do your original engine.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:41 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Distributor seals, $12K for a rebuild and a total of 3 posts??????

Last edited by craig04c5; 04-04-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Since you can buy a ZO6 crate engine from GM (for lots less) why did they go to an after market rebuilder? Unless you agreed before hand to accept a replacement part numbered engine(LS1),the dealer has NO choice but to install the proper engine.Even if they were shipped the wrong engine,it is up to them to make sure it is right BEFORE they installed it.The rebuilder should have your engine for a core,least of all they should be able to have that builder do your original engine.
There is the challenge, there are no LS6s available from GM. Maybe a distributor/ dealership here or there has one.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:37 PM
0Sales@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12k is what i spent on my 540whp 402 stroker. I say have them romove the wrong motor. Take your 12k to a reputable shop and get a nasty motor build and installed. At least a cammed ls3.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

This has got to be a late April fools joke.....

You should have got a ~500hp engine for $12k....
Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats more then half the price for a nice used c5 complete z06
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Your car was BUILT with a ZO6 engine,, went in for service with a ZO6 engine and it should drive out of the Stealership with a ZO6 ENGINE!

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Aside from the mixup, holy crap @ $12,000 for an engine rebuild. Even with the labor cost, that is steep! Especially for a stock rebuild. Isnt a NEW longblock like $6k? How did this come out to $12k?
I paid alot less for an brand new LS3 installed with H/C by a reputable tuner shop
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Dang this is a nightmare thread, for $12K I'd have a LS3 pushing 630+ hp. Of course I would do the install myself. BUT dayummmm, I'd be all over that dealership stirring up trouble for them. They'd regret EVER screwing me over.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 PM
z06nic
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mchicia1
DISTRIBUTOR SEALS!?!?!?!?

Wow you got taken. Someone on the GTO board took their car to the stealership too, and they told him his intake manifold was broken and leaking coolant!!!
I am so embarrassed, please forgive me. It is differential, not distributor. I have never done any major work to a car before, so this is all new to me. If anything, hopefully my mistake brought humor to your day.

Thank you for the helpful comments. I feel more confident dealing with this situation now.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z06nic
I am so embarrassed, please forgive me. It is differential, not distributor. I have never done any major work to a car before, so this is all new to me. If anything, hopefully my mistake brought humor to your day.

Thank you for the helpful comments. I feel more confident dealing with this situation now.
No worries, hope it all works out for you. Things can get off track quickly on these threads and well, guys like to bust ***** if given the opportunity.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Listen to Bill. Be calm, explicit and reasonable and you have a better chance of getting satisfaction. This problem is above the pay grade of the service manager, but I'd start there and set a reasonable expectation for a response, in writing. If you are dissatisfied with the response, contact an attorney.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Just a curious question not trying to crap in your easter basket but with all the great vendors here and great info why wouldn't you ask or inquire prior to getting it done? Surely you could build a kick *** motor for that price.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 AM
langsbr
Instructor

Did you see the motor come in personally from the rebuild company? If not, I'd bet you it's not the dealership itself that's trying to pull one over, but a tech that tried to pull a fast one.

Im sure they figured that someone that payed 12K for a stock rebuild wouldn't look close enough at the engine to know squat, so they probably yanked the motor from their camaro and tried to give it to you, so they could keep the new Z06.

I'm not saying all mechanics are corrupt, but I believe its more likely a corrupt single tech than a conspiracy from the dealer.

I know many techs that, back in the gravy Ford days, would have a car come in for warranty work. A new mustang would need something simple - they would warranty out a transmission, but not really replace it - Ford would never come get the old parts - bam - now tech has a brand new transmission. SVT was a bit picky about the Cobras, so it didn't work on them, but the regular cars - man, Ford was a gold mine for a tech that could game the system. He even got paid labor hours for the transmission he kept and didn't replace!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
OH BOY!! That service manager and the General Manager are SWEATING BULLETS hoping this will go away QUIELY!

You can bet a PAY CHECK on that! There going to try to convince you that EVERYTHING IS JUST FINE!

Start with GM Customer Service Assistance and file a complaint. Talk to the service manager and tell him you want the ZO6 LS6 engine that is standard to the ZO6 installed in the car. Be nice , to the point, factual and don’t be an ***. Take names, dates, problems discussed answers given and all the stuff to build your case. KEEP ALL PAPERWORK!
BUILD A CASE like it a murder trial!

If you paid with a credit card, file a complaint with the credit card company and use that as a last resort to deny payment due to the dealership inability to complete the repair correctly.

I would NOT sleep until this is FIXED correctly and to your favor!! They would NOT want me in that corner. I would be a wolverine ready to attack if they tried to bamboozle me!! :-o

Your car was BUILT with a ZO6 engine,, went in for service with a ZO6 engine and it should drive out of the Stealership with a ZO6 ENGINE!

YES,, a ZO6 engine is different enough that I would raise a royal SH!& Fit if they denied service to fix the issue!!

Bill
Also, Im willing to bet that when its time to trade/sell that Z, the next guy will want a 100% ZO6. I would. Would you buy a ZO6 that didnt have that LS6 engine,but instead had an LS1? I DOUBT IT. And that trade in ....inspecting that engine block will reveal that LS1, which will mean a much,much lower trade in, not to mention,salespeople looking at you like youre trying to con them.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Vetterthanyou2
Racer

Originally Posted by craig04c5
Distributor seals, $12K for a rebuild and a total of 3 posts??????
Ditto. Not a thing about this story adds up...
Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

12K? Did you at least get a reach-around?

Get notified of new replies

To LS6 vs. LS1 Mixup

Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM
msp1055
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it to another GM certified mechanic and inspect all of the work they said they did to see if in fact they did. If they did pay for what they said they did minus the motor work. Tell them you want your old LS6 block back and they can have their alleged rebuilt ls1 back. Of course they will not be able to provide you with your old LS6 block back, so deny that portion of the payment and either be happy with what you got, or take the money you saved and get an actual LS6 block built up by a reputable forum vendor. Based on the differences with the blocks, they do not have a leg to stand on in court and would spend several thousand dollars defending a suit so most likely they will just write off that portion.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6
Also, Im willing to bet that when its time to trade/sell that Z, the next guy will want a 100% ZO6. I would. Would you buy a ZO6 that didnt have that LS6 engine,but instead had an LS1? I DOUBT IT. And that trade in ....inspecting that engine block will reveal that LS1, which will mean a much,much lower trade in, not to mention,salespeople looking at you like youre trying to con them.
95% of the people purchasing will see the red FRC and not know the difference.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 PM
steveovette
Instructor

As a retired "stealership" Service Manager several things in this story do not add up. From the prices quoted just for an engine, to the incorrect part installed, to the lack of accountability of the dealer doing the work. Jobs would be lost and franchise agreements would be reviewed very seriously. GM doesn't screw around, especially these days.
As for techs stealing parts, as someone else has posted, I can tell you that's BS.
All the managers, dealer principle, parts staff, techs, car wash dudes, porters, shuttle bus drivers would have to be in on it.
Risk your 6 figure job and a multi million dollar franchis for stealing parts, come on.

Quick Reply: LS6 vs. LS1 Mixup