C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 z06 hesitating

Old 04-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Z0Sick_30
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 z06 hesitating

Hello i have a 2004 z06 corvette and yesterday i was driving it and it started chuging or hesitating. on normal driving conditions. if i'm driving the speed limit in any gear the car will just out of nowhere chug or hesitate the rpms dont drop and its very sudden. it happens probably every 1/8 mile or so. No dic codes have went off and it doesnt happen during hard accerleration..Just during normal cruising speeds. any help thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was having drivability issues a few days before my ignition was carboned up to the point of not allowing enough current to keep the fuel pump relay closed.

Could be worth the 2 hours to remove and clean after measuring voltage at the pump fuse.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 PM
bearcatt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps a loose or bad spark plug wire, bad spark plug ?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,,,, The VERY FIRST thing that you need to do is read the DTCs. It will give us a lot better chance to get the diagnosis correct.

Read the DTC now and write them down.. CLEAR ALL OF THEM and then take the car for a drive and when the issue happens read the DTCs without turning off the ignition.

BILL

READING YOUR Engine Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

This procedure should be carried out any time you experience a problem with your C5. Most inexpensive store bought aftermarket code readers will ONLY read power train DTC’s. Reading the DTC’s with the C5 built in code reader will allow you to read ALL the modules in the vehicle.

The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:
1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open ect)
3) Press and hold the OPTIONS button
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL button four times within a 10 -second period.

Initially, the on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which will cycle through each module and shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each module. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes) If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.

There are two types of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, “C” or “H”. A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes. More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.

Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.

Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except E/M. Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press RESET To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.
NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles. There are a few body module DTC’s that if set will prevent the module from operating properly. Once the DTC is cleared, the module will return to full function. This is not true for power train DTCs.

If you have never read and cleared your codes, there will probably be a lot of old history DTCs. It is recommended that you clear your codes and see if any come back during a driving cycle. Those are the ones that you need to concentrate on diagnosing.

Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5.

NOTE and a WARNING. You can read the DTCs while the engine is running. I pull mine up all the time while driving.
WARNING. Don’t become distracted while reading DTCs while your driving and cause an accident!!!!! Use common sense and drive safe.

These are some very good C5 Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) explanation web sites!!! They also explain how to read the DTCs

Here are some very good sites that explain what DTC mean:

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic11755.php

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix when you post your DTCs!!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Z0Sick_30
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found the culprit. i have a varam cold air intake and whoever serviced it last didnot latch the clips to hold the air filter in so i have been driving around with no air filter. the chug was from incoming/ unmetered air i'm assuming.....thanks guys
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The filter is forward of the MAF and would not have any effect on changing metered air. Anything after the MAF is metered air.

If anything,, I would say that the MAF and throttle blade is dirty.
Clean the MAF and the TB and see what happens.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 04-15-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 z06 hesitating

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c5 z06 hesitating