C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Four Main Brake Lights inop

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
RearDriveV8
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Four Main Brake Lights inop

I have a 99 coupe and the four main brake lights do not work but the Center Brake light does work. The running lights work and the turn signals work thus it is not the bulbs/lamps.

Temporarily I was able to partially depress the hazard/flasher switch and get the brake lights working. (I had a piece of paper wedged in the Hazard switch for about a day but then the turn signals stopped working so I removed the paper. Once again the turn signals work but the 4 main brake lights do not work). The hazard lights do work.

I ordered a flasher-switch bypass but it did not restore the brake lights.

Another person had the exact same condition and fixed it with an OEM flasher-switch.

Should I just get the OEM flasher switch?
Since I have the flasher bypass can I do any splicing to it and thus route (brake light) power around the flasher-switch? I assume this would cause the flashers to no longer work.

On the electrical schematic, where is connector C215 located in the actual car (I am talking about the junction connector on the wiring diagram)? What is the identifier for the wiring harness that the flasher switch is inserted between? Is this the same place?

Does Chevy route power from the wiring harness connector then to the flasher switch and back to the same wiring connector or does it continue to the brake lights via some other route (and thus another connector that I cannot get to easily)? The wire harness I am talking about is the one where I put the flasher-bypass switch.

I get the impression that (brake-light) power is getting from the brake-light switch and through the connector under the dash where the flasher bypass is and goes to the (malfunctioning) flasher-switch where it ends and never goes any further. I assume if the malfunction were not present it would go back through the same connector and then go to the brake lights.

Any insight or thoughts are appreciated.

Tom
Old 04-17-2012, 03:48 PM
cliff_ford
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

C215 is the connector the Hazard Switch is plugged into
Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 PM
thepitstop2010
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 02 in my shop doing the same thing. The turn signal/multifunction switch was bad. The brake lamp circuit is completed through this switch. I would start there. Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 AM
RearDriveV8
Heel & Toe

Thank you both for your input. I do appreciated it.

Tom
Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM
cliff_ford
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't fancy changing the flasher you could use your flasher bypass and fit euro turn lights.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM
RearDriveV8
Heel & Toe

OK I did it. I fixed the problem of no main brake lights and only a center brake light. The solution was a new OEM hazard/flasher switch.

I installed the new switch by removing the radio and using the opening there to gain access to the switch.

This thread really helped so I must give credit.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...l-problem.html

Removing the bezel around the radio was less difficult than I anticipated. The advise and suggestion from the forum were extremely useful.

Tom
The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (12-08-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Four Main Brake Lights inop

Quick Reply: Four Main Brake Lights inop