C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 01:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Intake Manifold removal question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Intake Manifold removal question?

Hello,

I need to replace the oil pressure sender unit and think I'm gonna go the intake manifold removal route. My question is this.... I have noticed on the "tutorials" i've seen on removing the intake manifold that the manifold gets unbolted and slid forward then returned and rebolted once new sender is in place. No mention as to a gasket replacement under the manifold. Is it ok to just replace the manifold without a new gasket following recommended torque specs??? Or is there a new gasket that I need to purchase to replace?

Here is a link to the "tutorial" I was using: Found through the tech DIY sticky on here.

http://www.vette747.com/index.php/en...intake-removal

Thanks!!

Tyler
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Gasket replacement is normally not needed.
Name:  375-MS92438.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  6.8 KB
Old 04-20-2012, 09:54 AM
MStrahan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would certainly replace the gaskets if your car has some age on it. They are only $20 or so. Seems like good maintenance to me. When I pulled the intake off my engine I got the gaskets at O'Reilys.
Make sure when you replace them that you run your fingers over them several times to seat them quite well. I didn't do it right the first time.

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I took mine off to put a dam of gasket maker around the plugs for the knock sensors while I was in there, keeps the water out of the knock sensors if the engine ever gets wet-there was a TSB for it. I used new gaskets out of habit.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I would replace any gasket if the part is removed. Its cheap insurance I think.

I have a tutorial on intake removal on my web site under the section at the bottom (Fast 92 Intake install).

www.ToqueZ06.com

Toque
Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I would add that you will probably need to clean the oil out of the intake while you got it off. You can pull the MAP sensor off the back along with the TB and wash it out with soap and water.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
I would add that you will probably need to clean the oil out of the intake while you got it off. You can pull the MAP sensor off the back along with the TB and wash it out with soap and water.

It makes a great opportunity to clean out the intake when it's removed.

If soap and water doesn't remove all the oil, use some engine degreaser and rinse with water.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

It's always a good idea to replace gaskets when re-assembling.

That said, I haven't replaced the gaskets on any of my intake manifold pulls lately and everything has been fine.

I never take my own advice or any other good advice.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

my car had 60k miles on it and the gaskets needed to be replaced. as noted, do the TSB for the knock sensors since your already there. take the sensor off the manifold, take it to a car wash and pressure wash the **** out of it. in my opinion, a little soapy water wont do anything. i used simple green and about $4 at the car wash to get my manifold acceptably clean.
there is also a write up on LS1 tech that shows R&R without disconnecting the fuel lines. I did it this way and didnt spill any gas. I actually followed a couple of write ups and picked the parts I like best on each. I think the ls1 write up has the torque and order to install the manifold.
its pretty straight forward, good luck
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to be putting my 02 z06 intake on the wife's 99 coupe. Any advice other than what has already been given here? Also putting Kooks lt and catted X pipe on.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:42 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan M.
Going to be putting my 02 z06 intake on the wife's 99 coupe. Any advice other than what has already been given here? Also putting Kooks lt and catted X pipe on.
Get the throttle body ported. Shaner at s2performance.net does a great job. Good for better response.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

You will likely find sand all over the place when you remove the intake. Try to get in there with a vacuum to get anything that is loose so it doesn't inadvertently fall into the head intake port.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about cleaning up the intake a bit with a dremmel tool? what should I look for? Do I just try to smooth around the inner edges of the openings? Thanks for the tips too.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 979 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan M.
How about cleaning up the intake a bit with a dremmel tool? what should I look for? Do I just try to smooth around the inner edges of the openings? Thanks for the tips too.
google search porting ls6 manifold, you will find a bunch of diy pics and tips
Old 06-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Secret237
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I found removing the Intake to be a little harder than I thought it would be. Maybe because I have the LS6 intake rather than the LS1. After about 7 hours I have most of it back together, I'll finish it up tomorrow.

I did this because of the oil pressure sending unit going out at 65,000 miles on a 1999 C5.
I sent to NAPA and got the brass replacement unit as instructed and it was even the less expensive one !! I also got the intake gasket set.
The old gaskets looked ok, but I replaced them anyways and the new Fel Pro gaskets did look like they were a little more "Proud" than the old ones ... also the old foam rubber was badly in need of replacement.

I installed the new Oil Pressure sending unit, no problem, it's 27mm BTW, but a 1 and 1/16 socket will work too, deep socket of course.

Installing the manifold was the hardest part as I found it IMPOSSIBLE (let me repeat, Not possible) to attach the small hose and the big hose and the electrical connector at the back of the manifold .... I couldn't do it. So I attached the big hose before I installed the manifold, then snaked the hose around behind everything and towards the brake booster. Then I could just barley attach the small hose and lastly the electrical connector. Very hard, just no room.

I'll finish up tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:19 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Secret237
I found removing the Intake to be a little harder than I thought it would be. Maybe because I have the LS6 intake rather than the LS1. After about 7 hours I have most of it back together, I'll finish it up tomorrow.

I did this because of the oil pressure sending unit going out at 65,000 miles on a 1999 C5.
I sent to NAPA and got the brass replacement unit as instructed and it was even the less expensive one !! I also got the intake gasket set.
The old gaskets looked ok, but I replaced them anyways and the new Fel Pro gaskets did look like they were a little more "Proud" than the old ones ... also the old foam rubber was badly in need of replacement.

I installed the new Oil Pressure sending unit, no problem, it's 27mm BTW, but a 1 and 1/16 socket will work too, deep socket of course.

Installing the manifold was the hardest part as I found it IMPOSSIBLE (let me repeat, Not possible) to attach the small hose and the big hose and the electrical connector at the back of the manifold .... I couldn't do it. So I attached the big hose before I installed the manifold, then snaked the hose around behind everything and towards the brake booster. Then I could just barley attach the small hose and lastly the electrical connector. Very hard, just no room.

I'll finish up tomorrow.
I added more hose on the small line and made a loop as I put the intake back on !!!! (I remote mounted the sending unit when I had the the intake off )
Old 06-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Secret237
Pro

Originally Posted by akapounder
I added more hose on the small line and made a loop as I put the intake back on !!!! (I remote mounted the sending unit when I had the the intake off )
Very good idea !! Why didn't I think of that !!?? I wanted to remote mount my oil pressure sending unit, but I didn't have anything to do that with, so I just left it where it was .... off I go to finish up.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake Manifold removal question?

Old 06-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Secret237
Pro

Done, all tools put away, test drive complete, everything looks good. Oil pressure normal

Took me about 8 hours total between 2 days. I may be slow but I am careful and I did do a couple other things, so that's ok. Now I just need to turn that "Check Engine" light off !!

I search for that now .... car is outside waiting to be washed now.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Old 06-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Secret237
Pro

Cleared the codes and now the "Check Engine" light is off and there are no codes.

Everything looks good .... I'm washing the car now !!

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold removal question?