Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
jlbsam
CF Senior Member

Default "service column lock"

Ok, i've done the "search" and am even more confused than before. I've had my 99 6sp for about one year. i just got the "column lock" message a day ago. i've checked out the bypass kit,but not sure if i need it.

now here's where i'm confused. if i turn off the car, and take out the key, shouldn't the steering wheel lock up? mine doesn't, which leads me to believe that some kind of bypass was installed prior to my getting the car. Can someone please shed some light on this subject for me?
jlbsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
absolutscharf
CF Senior Member

You can have the problem even though the recall was already done and the column doesn't lock anymore, yet the BCM still believes there's a problem. Happened to me 3 times post-recall, the last time last week. Installed an LMC5 (http://complianceparts.com/lmc5description.html), problem solved.
absolutscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
FKING1
CF Senior Member

If the column does not lock with the key removed there is a bypass kit of somekind installed.
FKING1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
jlbsam
CF Senior Member

if that's the case, then why the message and how do i get rid of it? i just looked at the codes and deleted them, and am still getting the "column lick" message
Old 04-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
jlbsam
CF Senior Member

got rid of the message. un-hooked the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes, and that did it!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
absolutscharf
CF Senior Member

It will come back, and when you need it the least. Put a bypass or LMC5 on it and take care of the problem once and for all.
absolutscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutscharf View Post
It will come back, and when you need it the least. Put a bypass or LMC5 on it and take care of the problem once and for all.
GOING TO COME BACK!!!! No doubt about it.

Did you try to drive the car when the message was displayed? Did the 2mph fuel shutoff occur???

The 04006C variation of the GM Column Lock service for manual trans C5's replaces the full diameter lock ring with a smaller diameter lock ring that prevents the column from physically locking. Your car may have that version of recall service done to it. Or you could have a CLB installed which would prevent the column from physically locking. Or the lock motor may be failed in the unlocked position. Any would give you the column unlocked with no key in the ignition symptoms.

HOWEVER, the column lock electronics still goes about the logical locking and unlocking of the column even if it cannot physically lock. The BCM expects a "completed" signal back from a lock or unlock command. If that fails to happen then the "Pull Key.... or Service Column lock..." messages can still occur. Additionally, unless the fuel shutoff speed has been reprogrammed to a high number you will encounter the 2mph fuel shutoff when the error messages occurs and you try to drive the car.

Since your car is an early car (1997 - 2000), you may want to consider an LMC5 rather than a CLB. Early cars anre more prone to the Pull Key... message than the later cars.

Last piece of info. The battery being low or bad or loose or corroded battery cable is the MOST COMMON cause of column lock symptoms.
You need to check the "no load" battery voltage (Neg battery cable disconnected). It needs to be greater than 12.5 for the column lock electronics to function properly. if the battery is not measuring greater than 12.5 volts with the neg battery cable disconnected, try charging it fully. A good battery at full charge will measure between 12.7 and 12.7 volts or greater. If you cannot charge the battery to at least 12.7 volts, it's on its way out and will need to be replaced. The car will start with as little as 12.2 volts but the cars electronics, specifically the column lock system which runs before the car starts, will not function correctly.
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
jlbsam
CF Senior Member

I drove the car for two days with the message showing. no problems.....I never got the 2 mph shutoff. i also never got the "pull key" message. lastly, my battery is a delco from a dealer that's less than one year old and the terminals are clean.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
spdislife
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbsam View Post
Ok, i've done the "search" and am even more confused than before. I've had my 99 6sp for about one year. i just got the "column lock" message a day ago. i've checked out the bypass kit,but not sure if i need it.

now here's where i'm confused. if i turn off the car, and take out the key, shouldn't the steering wheel lock up? mine doesn't, which leads me to believe that some kind of bypass was installed prior to my getting the car. Can someone please shed some light on this subject for me?
I had the exact same issue last fall. The column would not lock and an error message appeared on the DIC. No fuel shutoff and I would just hit the reset button to clear the DIC. Parked the car for the winter and my Deka lightweight battery died. Stone cold dead. Bought a new Deka this spring and the service column lock issue is resolved. No message on the DIC and the column now locks with the key out.
spdislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbsam View Post
I drove the car for two days with the message showing. no problems.....I never got the 2 mph shutoff. i also never got the "pull key" message. lastly, my battery is a delco from a dealer that's less than one year old and the terminals are clean.
Did you measure the NO LOAD voltage???

Just because a battery is only a year old doesn't mean that it is at proper charge level.
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #11
cousin vinny

"corvettes of houston" claims to have the column lock problem for C6 vettes solved. They sell the "column lock eliminator" for $89.95 plus shipping. U-tube shows a simple installation a 12 year old can do. I ordered it and hope I won't have to hire a 12 year old to install it. Let's see what happens.
cousin vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
gunga68
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

We (the wife and I) have a '99 vert with the MN6 and have only seen the "remove key and wait 10 second" message once. Based on your experience and recommendation, I just ordered the LMC5.
gunga68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
Dr. Mordo

I had the column lock problem last week in my 99. It'd had both recalls performed, so the 2 mph shut off was the problem. I put in a new, fully charged, oversized battery. Still not working. I disconnected the K harness as they apparently fail. No luck.

I suspect the problem is the column lock actuator itself.

Anyway, the LMC5 came yesterday. Installed in 25 mins using the very thorough illustrated instructions. Completely fixed.

So, allow me to pile on and say the LMC5 is a fantastic product. I've read where people say just keep a strong battery in there and you'll be fine with the recalls and no bypass, but after my experience, I don't believe it.

Last edited by Dr. Mordo; 08-19-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Dr. Mordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Dr. Mordo

Update: about a month after I posted the above post, the 'pull key and wait' msg came back.

It happens the first time I put the key in the ignition for the day. I pull the key, wait 2-3 seconds, and then fire it up. If I don't wait long enough, it throws the 'service column lock' msg when I put the key in. I can't just ignore the msgs because the 2 mph cutoff is still a problem.

It's driveable, and I've had another problem vehicle, so I've let it go for now. I figure my next step is to check the electrical system to see how much the draw is when the car's sitting. It's a new battery, but figure maybe something is dragging the battery down which is creating gremlins. Then if that's a dead end, I may bypass the resistor in the key. Finally as a last ditch effort I guess I could go ahead and replace the column lock. Any advice is welcome.

But it turns out the LMC5 isn't a magical cure after all.
Dr. Mordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page "service column lock"

Tags
1999, 97, 99, c5, c6, collume, column, corvette, generalca, lock, message, powered, service, solution, vbulletin