C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about raising car back to stock height.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 PM
TheReaper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about raising car back to stock height.

The '01 Z I recently bought has been lowered in the rear only (no idea why) and I want to bring it back to stock height. I'm going to be DD'ing for the next few months so it being lowered isn't really a good thing where I live. I've got a set of stock bolts ordered as I doubt it's lowered on stock bolts. So my questions:

1-If it does have different bolts, will I need to do anything special to remove them?
2-How do I know how much to tighten the bolts to get it to stock height?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Why don't you simply try increasing the tension on your current bolts, before going through the hassle of changing them?

To raise the car, you "tighten" (turn clockwise, as viewed from below) the bolts, effectively making them shorter, creating more tension on the spring. Try 1 full turn at a time....
Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM
ex9850
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that reply Leadfoot - I too want to raise my car back to stock and now I know what is required for the rear now to find what the front requires.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ex9850
Thanks for that reply Leadfoot - I too want to raise my car back to stock and now I know what is required for the rear now to find what the front requires.
Front requires jacking car up so weight is off front spring. Towards each end of the spring there will be a bolt with a rubber end that rides on the spring. You will want to turn that bolt clockwise to run it down towards the spring. They are usually very hard to turn, so put some sort of lubricant on them and let set for a while. The heads are very small and easily rounded off so be careful.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Front adjusters

Originally Posted by tiojames
Front requires jacking car up so weight is off front spring. Towards each end of the spring there will be a bolt with a rubber end that rides on the spring. You will want to turn that bolt clockwise to run it down towards the spring. They are usually very hard to turn, so put some sort of lubricant on them and let set for a while. The heads are very small and easily rounded off so be careful.
You need to unload the front springs, thereby taking all load off the adjuster bolts. You can do this by by jacking on the end of the spring using a block of wood or purchase the special tool that GM sells
Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to this post, we raised my '04 z, a bit after doing a brake job this morning. My car being lowered drove me insane!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 AM
vettefool
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased my 98 conv. in Nov. 1998 with 600 miles showing. now has about 60k. the previous owner had lowered the rear quite a bit. looked good but rode like a log wagon. I raised it a little bit a few years ago but not near stock height. last week I had to have the bushings on the rear spring replaced, probably due to car being lowered. I can't believe how much better the ride is. it's almost like a new car. it doesn't look as cool but I can live with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about raising car back to stock height.

Quick Reply: Questions about raising car back to stock height.