C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C5 dash has gone nuts and I have every message there is!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:58 PM
NorthEnco
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Napa = Morons

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Most dealership parts counters carry a repair assortment of pins. There are NOT GM/AC Delco pins. Its usually obtained through an aftermarket electronic connector supplier and come in a variety kit. They must me made of platinum cause they are always EXPENSIVE at the Stealership!

Ive had some luck with NAPA.

Our local Advance Auto have some pins.

You can always call Gene Culley and see if he has pins and pigtails..

Bill
I tried going to a local NAPA, I might as well have gone to a McDonalds
and asked if they had the parts.
All I got from NAPA was " what year and model of car ?...
Then after ten minutes typing on the computer, I really think he was just checking his e-mail

The final result was " those are dealer parts and you have to buy the whole harness.

I know those pins are available but I just don't know the proper nomenclature for the plug, if I could find the proper name and size of the plug the pins should be easy to track down.

Thanks for the effort,
Will let everybody know if I come up with anything.

Bob
Old 07-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Bob

Call Gene or Patrick and se what they have or if they have any recommendations/ I know its a SIX WAY connector.

Patrick Trageser
CULTRAG Performance
Your one stop source featuring the true experts for all GM Parts and Accessories, Lloyd mats, SLP Performance and Hawk Brake pads!
www.cultragfactoryparts.com
patrick@cultragperformance.com
1-484-334-8833
Old 07-14-2015, 03:10 PM
NorthEnco
Instructor

Default just thought of something

Bob

Call Gene or Patrick and se what they have or if they have any recommendations/ I know its a SIX WAY connector.

Patrick Trageser
CULTRAG Performance
Your one stop source featuring the true experts for all GM Parts and Accessories, Lloyd mats, SLP Performance and Hawk Brake pads!
www.cultragfactoryparts.com
patrick@cultragperformance.com
1-484-334-8833
While searching around on the Interweb These came to mind.
Amazon.com: Quick Splice Wire Tap Connector 16-14 Gauge (Blue) - 100 Pack: Automotive Amazon.com: Quick Splice Wire Tap Connector 16-14 Gauge (Blue) - 100 Pack: Automotive

Has anyone tried to " jumper " around that black door connector that seems to give a lot of people trouble. ?

I've removed the "boot" so I have plenty of room to work in there.

Bob
Old 08-07-2015, 12:47 PM
3on8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello everyone.
I have an issue with backlighting staying on for HUD and IPC gauge buttons which are draining the battery.
No codes or corrosion on BCM board.
Any leads?
Thank you in advance.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

C5s have something called the Retained Accessory Power (RAP )Circuit. It a time delay relay that powers stuff like interior lighting, under hood light, radio, etc..

It is designed to turn OFF around 10-12 min after the ignition is switched OFF. Open your Hood and allow the under hood light to come on. Shut up the car and see if the hood light turns OFF by its self with the hood raised with in the 12 min period. That will prove that the RAP circuit is functioning.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:12 PM
3on8
Advanced

Thank you, Bill!
The underhood (and all other interior lights) are shutting off; only IPC switch and HUD backlights stay on.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The BCM can turn these light ON and OFF. If the BCM isn't turning them off,, either its being told to keep them on OR it has an issue.

Has your BCM ever bin WET or DAMP??? If it has, the circuit board can have white crusty deposits on the circuit board. This crud can cause some VERY STRANGE ISSUES.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:53 PM
3on8
Advanced

Thank you again, Bill.
BCM has not been wet or damp as far as I know. The board did not have the corrosion/deposits you showed in link below when I came across your advice to open and inspect.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589766454

I did not time underhood lamp shutoff; if it exceeds 12 minutes (but under 30), could the circuit have a problem?
Old 08-07-2015, 07:19 PM
3on8
Advanced

Underhood lamp shuts off automatically after 16 minutes.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:19 PM
NorthEnco
Instructor

Default found these

Most dealership parts counters carry a repair assortment of pins. There are NOT GM/AC Delco pins. Its usually obtained through an aftermarket electronic connector supplier and come in a variety kit. They must me made of platinum cause they are always EXPENSIVE at the Stealership!

Ive had some luck with NAPA.

Our local Advance Auto have some pins.

You can always call Gene Culley and see if he has pins and pigtails..

Bill
Found these while searching around,, if you want to spend the time to replace that door connection..
https://www.waytekwire.com/products/26/MLX-Connectors/
Old 02-14-2016, 08:27 PM
sdrapeau
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bill for the info, I pulled the codes and the RDCM said no comm. So it must be something there. What do you think? Thanks SDrapeau
Old 02-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The very first thing that I would do is make sure that the fmale pins in the 6 pin connector are 100% in good shape and not spread apart.

You also need to make sure that you have power and ground to the module. Then you have to have a functioning SEIAL DATA WIRE from the module to the BCM.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-16-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:21 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure if this may be right place to post.. But i told my coworker i ask as he has a 2002 .that he doesn't drive but only his wife.
His issue started out last summer of A.B.S. ON , Traction Control on and message of engine low power.
He was told to fix or replace abs module which he finally put rebuilt ? in two day's ago...
And problem still wasn't fixed
He is a good tech where we work (chrysler) but he isn't up on the vette much.. But he did a little digging and found loose ground wire down below battery area and fixed it... But that still didnt fix..
Now veh has all tho's problems lit up, and now the rest of dash act's up . Like no temp gauge... ect.... seem's to be getting deeper and deeper worse..
So i told him i would ask on here for some input... Thanks..
He also said the power seat didnt work.. but he said that may have been there before any issue but wasnt sure..
Old 06-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

It sounds EXACTLY like You / He has a SERIAL DATA BUSS issue.

Either the BCM is or has been wetted OR somewhere in the serial data circuit a module/s is/are corrupting the data.

Use the post above to dig into the repair.

If the BCM and the carpet is DRY,,,,,, You either have a seat connector female pin issue, LDCM or RDCM power issue because of a damaged female pin.

ALL the troubleshooting and theory is in this post!

REMEMBER,, If a MODULE turns ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,
due to a bad power or ground pin,,,, the SERIAL DATA BUSS gets corrupted and WALAH,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you see the results!!

BC

Well, what do you think??

BC
Old 06-14-2017, 01:41 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

It sounds EXACTLY like You / He has a SERIAL DATA BUSS issue.

Either the BCM is or has been wetted OR somewhere in the serial data circuit a module/s is/are corrupting the data.

Use the post above to dig into the repair.

If the BCM and the carpet is DRY,,,,,, You either have a seat connector female pin issue, LDCM or RDCM power issue because of a damaged female pin.

ALL the troubleshooting and theory is in this post!

REMEMBER,, If a MODULE turns ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,ON & OFF, ON & OFF,
due to a bad power or ground pin,,,, the SERIAL DATA BUSS gets corrupted and WALAH,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you see the results!!

BC

Well, what do you think??

BC
Thanks im heading back down to work now and ill show him the post.. And possible if he has any code #'s if that helps...
Also i dont think he took apart the ground conn on frame rails to look for corrosion..
Old 06-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

As much as I STRESS proper ground connections and good ground cleaning, it most likely is NOT going to be the cause of this issue.

The serial data buss is a very sensitive very low voltage SIGNAL CIRCUIT. It is critical for the car to function properly and very easily screwed up.

Bill
Old 06-14-2017, 02:12 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

As much as I STRESS proper ground connections and good ground cleaning, it most likely is NOT going to be the cause of this issue.

The serial data buss is a very sensitive very low voltage SIGNAL CIRCUIT. It is critical for the car to function properly and very easily screwed up.

Bill
Thanks, and he says thanks. at work now but he cant go off the job he is on to ask anything..
But he did say U1255

Get notified of new replies

To My C5 dash has gone nuts and I have every message there is!!!

Old 06-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LAUGH MY *** OFF!

U-1255 = SERILA DATA LINE MALFUNCTION!
The following users liked this post:
carls2004 (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 02:52 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

LAUGH MY *** OFF!

U-1255 = SERILA DATA LINE MALFUNCTION!
Thanks Bill...
Im not gonna ask questions for coworker anymore as i said he should look for possibly BCM or got wet as issue and his responce was no way the BCM did get wet...
Then as i leave work he go's on break and pulls up in wife's vette and say's all dash lights are out...He will figure it out tho as him and other tech are top notch on electrical...
He is in position i was in about 2005 ..All burned out from working on car's for chrysler since we were 20..
And after working 7-6 everyday,, last thing you wanna do is go home and work on more... I got out of the repair area in 2005, but work for sale's and serv...Again thanks, will keep a ear out if he checks BCM and if any issue with that... BUT HE IS going to dive into the connectors in the door area..

Last edited by carls2004; 06-14-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:53 AM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carls2004
Not sure if this may be right place to post.. But i told my coworker i ask as he has a 2002 .that he doesn't drive but only his wife.
His issue started out last summer of A.B.S. ON , Traction Control on and message of engine low power.
He was told to fix or replace abs module which he finally put rebuilt ? in two day's ago...
And problem still wasn't fixed
He is a good tech where we work (chrysler) but he isn't up on the vette much.. But he did a little digging and found loose ground wire down below battery area and fixed it... But that still didnt fix..
Now veh has all tho's problems lit up, and now the rest of dash act's up . Like no temp gauge... ect.... seem's to be getting deeper and deeper worse..
So i told him i would ask on here for some input... Thanks..
He also said the power seat didnt work.. but he said that may have been there before any issue but wasnt sure..
I had basically the same issues in 2013 and replaced the ignition module that the key fits into. I chased this mess for 2 yrs and was at my wits end before finding this solution. My C5 has run perfectly ever since. I'm sure this fix will be necessary on all C5's eventually as they get older with alot of engine starts wearing out the contacts in this part. It's an easy 2 hr r/r while seating in the drivers seat. Part was just under $100.

Although I've posted this here on the CF long ago, here's my solution writeup about it that was made into a "Sticky Note" on another site:
http://www.thecorvettemechanic.com/f...finally-gone!!

Quick Reply: My C5 dash has gone nuts and I have every message there is!!!