C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leaking from surge tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:08 AM
Swaie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leaking from surge tank

Okay, I just got my vette back from the tranny shop, and drove to town tranny did awesome! But now I pull up to the gas station and see steam coming from the coolant surge tank. It's leaking from the cap. Does this mean that have a bad head gasket? I'm going to change the cap first and go from there, but what else could it be. I noticed that it bubbles after I turn the car off and it heat soaks...any ideas?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Swaie
Okay, I just got my vette back from the tranny shop, and drove to town tranny did awesome! But now I pull up to the gas station and see steam coming from the coolant surge tank. It's leaking from the cap. Does this mean that have a bad head gasket? I'm going to change the cap first and go from there, but what else could it be. I noticed that it bubbles after I turn the car off and it heat soaks...any ideas?
What is the water temp reading?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:37 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Coolant tanks often fail, but it's a leak near the aft hose attachment, the plastic cracks or the hose will get soft/punky

what else was done to the car?

Fans turn on at correct temp?
Fan turn on changed in tune?
Tstat is opening correctly?
correct Dexcool mixture?

OEM cap PSI is 15......changed to 16 in 2003/4?? if your coolant is 'bubbling' kinda sounds like a straight water mix??

Another note: the radiators in C5's sometimes clog up near the 'steam vents', small lines on RHS of rad.

lot's of variables, make a list, go after the easy kills
Old 06-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Swaie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the cap, but the temps get as high as 235!!! I'm going to clean the radiator today, but I changed the cap with a cheap one from Oreilly Autoparts. It seemed to stop the leaking. Ihave the Dex 50/50 mix. I will check the steam ports today also.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you didn't over fill the over flow tank, it could as simple as that.. Use a flashlight and shine it on the front corner of the OVER FLOW tank, it will be molded in the white plastic where your coolent level should be... If you over flow and it gets hot, you make have no room in the over flow for it to expand, thus leaking from the cap. This happened to me when I replaced my water pump, I over filled it waiting for the air burp that never came... Also purchase a ANTI-FREEZE TESTER, they are a few bucks, it can test the coolents ability for protection level... Good Luck.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 PM
jlbsam
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

also, check the nipple that extends out from the front of the tank, a rubber hose comes of that. the nipple could be cracked. that was my problem, a new expansion tank solved the coolant leak. Zip Corvette had the best price on the tank
Old 06-16-2012, 03:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbsam
also, check the nipple that extends out from the front of the tank, a rubber hose comes of that. the nipple could be cracked. that was my problem, a new expansion tank solved the coolant leak. Zip Corvette had the best price on the tank
Last I looked, there was a hose at the back top and 2 underneath the tank hooked to a T coming out of the bottom. You are correct though, the one at the top back in the black is prone to develop cracks and leak.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Yes true, the top inlet is easy to bend and break the plastic nipple. Inside is a copper rod that extends into the over flow tank. Mine started leaking from that and the whole tank has to be repalced, can't fix.. Try not to put any pressure on it after installing the new tank for it cracks there most of the time.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:36 PM
cache1
Advanced

So was the new cap the permanent fix Swaie? I'm having the same symptom on my 1990 c4. I have a post over on the C4 side of the forum and would be very interested to hear if you are done done. I replaced the cap on my car but still have leaking.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant leaking from surge tank

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking from surge tank