C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Not as Cold While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Not as Cold While Driving

Hi,
I did a lot of searching and my exact case seems to be different than what I've found on other threads. I have a 2001 Coupe with the Dual Zone Climate Control. I just had my compressor, drier, and orifice tube replaced. I could hear the actuator move when I re-indexed the actuator which I've done with the fuse and the DIC (by clearing HVAC codes of which there are none). My driver's side A/C is warmer than my passenger's side and the problem (as stated in the title) is exacerbated when I am moving. Can anyone shed some light?

-Adam
Old 07-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Check the vacuum line that runs beneath the battery tray for possible acid damage.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

I can, but I thought that vacuum line was for the top vs. bottom vents? This functionality appears fine.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The vacuum lines are fine if you can select the different vent locations (dash, windshield or floor).

Poor cooling on the drivers side is often caused by low refrigerant.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You might check with who did your AC and make sure they flushed your system. I had my orifice tube plug up after a guy did my AC work. Took is someplace else, they flushed it , replaced the tube, and is working fine. It could also be a broked gear in the actuator.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Thanks! We have discussed doing an evacuation and recovery of Freon. It appears the high pressure is too high and the low pressure is too low which could indicate a clogged orifice tube. He said if my system was really dirty, then it will clog a brand new tube. Does this make it less likely that's an actuator issue? He also thought there could be debris on my condenser.

It sounds like if we go through the filter changing procedure and recharge the system properly, it could fix it.

Sound good to everyone?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:29 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Young owner; 99% of the people posting here are not charging A/C on a daily/weekly basis

Myself included, I consult a 10 year GM service tech that has the proper guages and experience to help me the C5/6's requiring cooler cabins

Fighter jets magically expand hot air to make cool cabin air, I call my GM tech buddy

the vacuum lines under battery posted above is VERY valid info and always good to inspect, any HVAC codes for the actuators?

And of course, as your A/C tech has discovered, having the correct pressure is a good starting point
Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The vacuum lines are fine if you can select the different vent locations (dash, windshield or floor).

Poor cooling on the drivers side is often caused by low refrigerant.
Good point Lionel.
Originally Posted by Young69Owner
Thanks! We have discussed doing an evacuation and recovery of Freon. It appears the high pressure is too high and the low pressure is too low which could indicate a clogged orifice tube.
Yes, a clogged or partially restricted orifice tube will result in high discharge pressure, and low suction pressure.

Air in the system will also cause high discharge pressure, since air is a noncondensible contaminant in the system. A total evacuation of the system will eliminate this possibility as well.

It sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Wow, guys, thanks for getting back to me so fast.

Steve, I can relate to the fighter jet comment as I studied Aeronautical Engineering at USAFA. I would say it's very easy for a fighter jet to pressurize the air because air is compressible at 300 ft/sec.

Quicksilver, I will visit my tech in the next few days.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Young69Owner
Quicksilver, I will visit my tech in the next few days.
Make sure that your tech makes up for any PAG refrigeration oil that may be lost during the reclamation/evacuation process.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Not as Cold While Driving

Quick Reply: A/C Not as Cold While Driving