C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need good recommendations on daily driver heads and cam combos (Tx Spd PRC, AI, ect)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Cody Strife
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Need good recommendations on daily driver heads and cam combos (Tx Spd PRC, AI, ect)

I have finally got my Corvette LS7 clutch installed into my 2002 corvette and with a retune scheduled, I will be looking to replace the heads and cam very soon.

My 2002 Corvette is equipped with the following modifications.

American Racing Long Tube Headers with X-Pipe and High Flow Cats.
Corsa Tigershark Touring Exhaust.
SLP Black wing intake and Vararam intake bellow. (the oem bellow split on me)

Basically I expect with the dynotune it will put down power in the range of 350 RWHP. Giving my full intake and exhaust mods. Now when it comes to heads and cams, this car is a weekend driver, but I do not want to compromise its drivability and fuel economy, which means no heavy loping (some loping is good for character)or substantial drops in low and midrange torque. I just basically want a combo that will improve the powerband where it needs it without making the car a slouch off of idle.

Now onto heads and camshaft packages. I have looked at Advanced Inductions 241 CNC Ported Heads and camshaft packages and there seems to be alot of people that swear to the fact that they are as good as PRC heads, but the cost of having to ship my heads and all that seems like it would add up.

I was also impressed with the Texas Speed offering of PRC stage 1 and stage 2.5 heads as well, but do they require you send in your 243 factory cores, which means I would have to buy a set of 243 heads... For the price they have listed it definitely seems so.

Somebody help me out here, i'll be calling both vendors tomorrow to discuss their options. To be honest, if the Texas Speed PRC head and combo kit comes shipped for 1600, I don't see how you could be that...

If I go with Texas speed, would the 228R camshaft be a good choice for gains without sacrificing idle and drivability?

Lastly, I am shooting for 420-450 rwhp.
If I go with AI, which camshaft should I combo with?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Cody Strife
Instructor

The price of 2000 dollars shipped seems too good to be true. New CNC ported heads, no core charge, everything appears basically bolt on...

Precision Race Components LS6 64cc Stage 2.5 Cylinder Heads Fully CNC Ported & Assembled With Stainless Steel 2.02" Intake Valves, 1.57" Exhaust Valves, & PRC Dual Valve Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers, Rated to .650" Lift. Kit Also Includes TSP Hardened Pushrods & Your Choice Of Camshaft!!

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1161-pr...m-package.aspx

And also the stage 1 package does not sound bad at all either. Put the
remaining money into some nice roller rocker arms.

Precision Race Components LS6 64cc Stage 1.0 Cylinder Heads Fully CNC Ported & Assembled With GM Factory 2.00" Intake Valves, 1.55" Exhaust Valves, & LS6 Factory Valvetrain. Kit Also Includes TSP Hardened Pushrods & Your Choice Of Camshaft!!

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1160-pr...m-package.aspx

So, Advanced Induction's prices seem much higher in comparison, it kinda makes me wonder if maybe Advance Induction is either premium priced, or they go the extra mile to make a much better flowing 241 head that out flows these PRCS. Either way I go, I want reliability, though I won't be bagging the rev limiter like I did when I had my Mazdaspeed Miata or my S2000.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Cody Strife
Instructor

My last question is this, these vendors advertise milling for higher compression ratios. Can our cars run reliability well with 11:1 compression ratio? Cause if they can be tuned to run it without predetonation on 93 octane fuel, then it sounds like a no brainer to raise compression ratio as high as I can go... (even 12:1)
Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 coupe - I got the Patriot Z06 "243" heads w/ double gold springs, etc - they flow 300 cfm - I have a 218/224 lsa 14 comp cam...
with headers and blackwing through 3.42 gears I go 11.83 in the 1/4 mile - car is literally daily driver - have 105,000 miles on it ...
I'd talk to the folks at Patriot - they are in your neighborhood - oh yes, chambers are 62cc...
Old 07-05-2012, 01:59 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody Strife
My last question is this, these vendors advertise milling for higher compression ratios. Can our cars run reliability well with 11:1 compression ratio? Cause if they can be tuned to run it without predetonation on 93 octane fuel, then it sounds like a no brainer to raise compression ratio as high as I can go... (even 12:1)
By all means, raise the compression. If you have a steady supply of 93 and a good tuner, then try for around 11.5:1. However, on many OEM based heads, there would be a limit on the milling, to save valve clearence.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:19 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the AI 243 226cc heads and shipping was not that much at all. I would say call or email AI and have them work your heads and spec you a custom cam. They will match the cam to the heads and what you want.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Joevette99
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default My 1999 6 Speed

I am running cam : 224/228 595/601 LSA 115 through same intake as you and American Racing headers w/cat and Z06 mufflers. PNC'd 343's (Vette MD's specs) and it is very streetable.

With 3:73's the car is a perfect combination of speed, reliablility and power. 22/28 MPH as well.

The extra power really made the catbacks loud, had Bassani's. Switched to titanium for a no resonance ride.

Good Luck!!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Cody Strife
Instructor

Originally Posted by zeevette
By all means, raise the compression. If you have a steady supply of 93 and a good tuner, then try for around 11.5:1. However, on many OEM based heads, there would be a limit on the milling, to save valve clearence.

11:5-1 it is. And I have my conclusion. I'm going with PRC stage 2.5 heads, 228r camshaft with 114lsa.

My questions is this though, by plaining the heads to increase compression, how is this going to effect my valvetrain geometry. Surely I will need shorter pushrods, and what about rocker arm pivot points, I guess what I'm asking is will it put anything in a bind?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Cody Strife
Instructor

11:5-1 it is. And I have my conclusion. I'm going with PRC stage 2.5 heads, 228r camshaft with 114lsa.

My questions is this though, by plaining the heads to increase compression, how is this going to effect my valvetrain geometry. Surely I will need shorter pushrods, and what about rocker arm pivot points, I guess what I'm asking is will it put anything in a bind?
Everybody is always concerned with peak power gains as if that is all that counts, but I wonder what juicy improvements are to be expected by running 11:5-1.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Everybody is always concerned with peak power gains as if that is all that counts, but I wonder what juicy improvements are to be expected by running 11:5-1.
If you're going from 10:1 to 11.5:1, you'll notice a difference. Really helps TQ., and that cam won't hurt it, either. I prefer a split duration cam myself, but there's nothing wrong with the 228. I'd definately check PTV clearence, and to get your valve geometry right, there's been several discussions here that address that issue.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Cody Strife
Instructor

Well I just got my corvette dyno tuned by Hinson Motorsports in Lacey Springs Alabama.

My final numbers where nice. 370 rear wheel horsepower and 375 ft-lbs of torque! Not bad!

I am really happy with the numbers. I have just about sealed the deal for the texas speed heads, but if those heads are sourced from China, then its simply a no go...
Old 07-07-2012, 06:43 PM
STLSPARKY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very happy with my new combo, I was looking for the same results as you are. Lots of smooth power and torque starting around 2500rpm and not dropping off till past my rev limiter while maintaining street manners. I did a lot of searching and decided to call Geoff at EPS. he took the time to answer all my questions and even explained the methods he is using on his smaller duration "mild" lobes are making daily Drivable 400-600 hp with just a cam and heads. The profile he recommended is .224/.230 .598/.608 113 LSA .
I bought all of my parts through him and Advanced Induction I picked up a set of 243 heads for $400, $250 for PSI springs and had a local guy port them to 308cfm@.600 lift for $550. The flow bench data looks almost identical to AI stage 2
The forum member that I bought the heads from has the same cam and other boltons but trickflow heads instead. Geoff tuned it and it made 474rwhp!! Just remember too that u get what u pay for with cylinder heads, buy the best flowing set u can. Also $ starts to add up when u factor in all the other parts that should be replaced when u have it apart. Good luck to u!!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Cody Strife
Instructor

I have had the day to enjoy the new tune and I can definitely say this, WOW. So much better, not only did he fix the CAGS and rear O2 CEL's, but the timing retard on top end has been fix, the throttle response is now smooth, and the dips and spikes the car felt like it had before have been flattened out.

In other words, it runs much more linear, quicker, and smoother to redline.

I think 370 rwhp isn't a bad number considering that is all bolt ons.

Get notified of new replies

To Need good recommendations on daily driver heads and cam combos (Tx Spd PRC, AI, ect)

Quick Reply: Need good recommendations on daily driver heads and cam combos (Tx Spd PRC, AI, ect)