C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engineered Cooling Products Aluminum Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:37 PM
slant
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read it all .
Well done
I wish you had cut open the ECP just to see how it is made.

Thanks !
Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by slant
I wish you had cut open the ECP just to see how it is made. Thanks !
If I can't anyone to pay $150 for it I might.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 PM
slant
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
If I can't (get ? ) anyone to pay $150 for it I might.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 PM
slant
Drifting

Des anyone have a template for cutting the shroud with a Dewitts ?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:47 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I scanned it in but can't upload to photobucket fro some reason. The instructions I have are for the driver's side EOC but the upper right corner is shown.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:37 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 08-11-2012 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SGMP (08-30-2018)
Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 AM
slant
Drifting

Thanks for the pics !
Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 PM
93civEJ1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is old thread but do you still have the ECP? id probably take you up on that radiator. I am broke and needing one...and dont really wanna go back to plastic end tanks.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:33 PM
CA99FRC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I want to provide my hands on experience with an engineered cooling products radiator (aka speedcooling.com or engineered-products on ebay) or actually two of them that both leaked. Whatever you do please do not buy from them unless you want to waste your money for a leaking radiator.

I bought one last year to replace my stock radiator that started leaking. It started leaking in about two months. Since it has a warranty I called them and they told me that I had to pay for shipping back to them and wait for them to process it before sending a replacement. This was a big problem because my Corvette was my daily driver at the time. They gave me the only other option of paying for another and hope to get a refund when I send the original back. I decided to deal with the leak until it got too bad and had to bite the bullet. The replacement sent has such bad welds that there are pinholes in the welds that leak. So I have a brand new leaking radiator again. What a joke.

So here's the sum of all the money I wasted and will still have to by a replacement AC Delco which is actually cheaper. $275.31 for the radiator with shipping + $64 for 4 gallons of dex-cool throughout + $40 for shipping back to them = $379.31 and I still don't have a functioning radiator.

These are sub par welds especially comparing them to the one DeWitt posted

Last edited by CA99FRC; 02-27-2015 at 01:16 PM. Reason: add photo
SGMP (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM
SGMP
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
I bought one and you can have it for $150 plus shipping. I purchased it to see what you could get for $219. I was going to do a full comparison and post a write up but I realized that nobody would believe the comments from a vendor. It looks real nice (which means nothing) and the fan shroud mounts without any problem. It is clearly made in China (based on the price and packaging) as I can't purchase the materials for this price. Corvette Tax?, no. It's just the cost of doing business in the USA, with USA materials, and local labor. If you compare our pricing with the major US brand names, we come out looking pretty competitive.
I would believe your comparison write-up! Did you do a comparison installed in a vehicle?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:03 AM
SGMP
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CA99FRC
I know this is an old thread but I want to provide my hands on experience with an engineered cooling products radiator (aka speedcooling.com or engineered-products on ebay) or actually two of them that both leaked. Whatever you do please do not buy from them unless you want to waste your money for a leaking radiator.

I bought one last year to replace my stock radiator that started leaking. It started leaking in about two months. Since it has a warranty I called them and they told me that I had to pay for shipping back to them and wait for them to process it before sending a replacement. This was a big problem because my Corvette was my daily driver at the time. They gave me the only other option of paying for another and hope to get a refund when I send the original back. I decided to deal with the leak until it got too bad and had to bite the bullet. The replacement sent has such bad welds that there are pinholes in the welds that leak. So I have a brand new leaking radiator again. What a joke.

So here's the sum of all the money I wasted and will still have to by a replacement AC Delco which is actually cheaper. $275.31 for the radiator with shipping + $64 for 4 gallons of dex-cool throughout + $40 for shipping back to them = $379.31 and I still don't have a functioning radiator.

These are sub par welds especially comparing them to the one DeWitt posted
Wow, I see what you mean! Sorry to hear you could have saved time, money, and labor if Dewitts had been your first choice. But you have saved me, and others, a lot of aggravation. I have an original GM radiator all brass/copper that has started to leak (1979 L48 w/94,000 miles.). I will get the DeWitts, with new rubber mounts, and cash-in the old one at the local recycler.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 PM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I purchased an ECP radiator (RAD-1052-MT) and installed it in my 91 C4. Took quite a lot of modification to the shrouds and the rubber isolators to get it to fit properly. Well to make a short story shorter I have finished the work I was doing to the car went to fill the cooling system with coolant today and the radiator was leaking. After a bit of investigating it turned out to be the fitting welded to the right side tank that the petcock screws into,that fitting was cracked. I have contacted them and it appears they are going to replace it for me. I'll post to let Y'all know how that goes. One thing for sure not going to put the new one in the car if I actually get it without filling it and putting some pressure on it.

Last edited by wsherrard; 02-15-2019 at 09:56 PM.
foggy (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:29 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks for the info on this thread.. I too have looked at this radiator and wondered about its quality...
I will wait til I have more $$ to buy a quality product like the DeWitts. It's too much work/frustration to have to do
a job twice.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:46 AM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I sent the radiator with the leaky petcock bung back to ECP for warranty replacement. They did replace it for me but I had to pay for the return shipping which means I now have $325 dollars invested in the $219 radiator. The extra cost comes from the shipping charges on the original purchase and the warranty return. The new one arrived, I filled it with water and put pressure on it before installation, it did not leak this time. I guess the real test will be how it holds up to sustained cooling system pressure and repeated cycles of heating, cooling and pressurization, that is where the real quality of the radiator will be revealed. I'll post again after I have driven the car some.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:53 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

I would personally avoid buying from any vendor whose return policy for an _integral_ car part is "send it back so we can send you a new one, and pay shipping." That means that you aren't driving your car for like three weeks, and you're putting fifty bucks of shipping charge into a $200 part.

If you bought a part from GM / a dealer, you'd have a new one lickety-split to swap out and replace your failed part.

If you bought a part from any reputable vendor that doesn't build them to order, but has them in stock, you'd also have the new part on your doorstep rather quickly and an apology, instead of an extra fee.

I looked at the various cheaper options, and decided the gamble was not worth it. Got a DeWitts rad, standard - manual, no extra anything - plus their SPAL fans. Excellent thus far. Pricey, sure, but with the extra heat added by the supercharger, the hot weather, and track days -- well, it was either that or pray.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Well, I guess I should have done some homework before I bought mine. I installed it a couple Saturdays ago and so far it's been performing great. No issues with anything yet. If it does go bad before it's time I'll be looking for a different brand. If anything happens I'll try to remember to post back up in this thread.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:54 PM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well my last post in this chain was in March and I said I'd check back after running the car a bit. I've been through many heat and cool cycles with my "ECP" radiator and so far no issues.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:47 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I also have one of your radiators, my comments are the materials used and the furnace brazing quality can't be be equivalent. I'm in the aerospace industry and feel the american made products have superior materials and overall build quality, but only the test of time will prove us out.

Quick Reply: Engineered Cooling Products Aluminum Radiator