C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 243 Head install on c5

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 PM
01VetteVert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 243 Head install on c5

Hello Everyone,

My name is Wes. I am new to LS1's I have a 500whp turbo Stang. But I have been very lucky to have been given a 2001 corvette by my boss as a bonus. Its only has 21k on it.

I love this car and I love the low end snappiness of the LS1. So I recently received a nice set of 243 heads with dual PRC valve springs for some computer and website work I did. I read a lot on here and ready your Sticky’s. So my question is to you. What do I need to install these heads? I know head gaskets is a given. I don’t know if I need rockers and push rods, if I should do normal head bolts or ARP head studs? I also was wondering what Cam I should buy? I have an auto and I don’t want to change out the convertor. This is 98% street car but I would love to make some more power. I love the snappy low end torque it has now so I don’t want to lose that while making as much top end as possible, if I could even gain more low end that would be cool if that makes sense? I have great tuners by me, I will get it tuned afterwards. I wanted your advice on what else I need to do the install, and what Cam to buy. If you sell any of these items, let me know I would buy from you. Just quote me on a whole package with Cam.

Thanks in advance on any help or in-sight.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 PM
igtabg1
Racer

Default welcome

Google ls1howto there’s a pretty good step by step. I would invest in the service manuals. As far as changing the cam, there’s not a lot of choice endless you upgrade the converter, but it’s worth it imho. There are a lot of great sponsors on this website and if you search there are a lot of great write up's. Welcome to the site btw.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:43 PM
01VetteVert
Instructor

I know I am driving everyone nuts, but I just want to make the right choices. My buddy might have a deal for me that I feel I should just do but wanted to ask your professional option. He offered me a Fuddle 3400 stall, and a Z06 3.42 rear for $800. My current rear is a 3.15. You feel it would be enough of a difference for a street car to do this? He said it’s a tight convertor and stalls to about 3k.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:15 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Yeah the gears and TC are a fair deal, will work well, the heads work nice when ported, stock rockers are ok, but get the Comp up grade, get new push rods to suit the cam, ....stock head bolts are also fine as long as they're new, ARPs are better but you don't need studs......pretty hard to tune a decent mid size cam to sit at a stoplight with a stock converter......224/228 ish high 580 lift will be nice and make you happy.rock:

Last edited by dankhts; 08-24-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

That's one hell of a price for a converter and differential, assuming they are in good working order and low mileage.

Some people will shudder, you could easily do 400 rwhp with a small cam like an LS1 Hotcam or 02+ LS6 cam. You'll have virtually no driveability or maintenance concerns. You won't even need a converter or rear end.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd definitely go with hardened pushrods since you have the stiffer springs. You're stock rockers should be fine. Also, Thunder Racing has some really great midrange & lower end cams for an LS1.

P.S. You're boss is freaking awesome... I am in total envy of whatever your job is lol.

Last edited by Vicarious.; 08-24-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:25 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 01VetteVert
Hello Everyone,

My name is Wes. I am new to LS1's I have a 500whp turbo Stang. But I have been very lucky to have been given a 2001 corvette by my boss as a bonus. Its only has 21k on it.
I do IT work for a living as well. Your website work must be making the boss some serious $$ for him to give you a 01 with only 21K on it. That's almost unbelievable. Where do I give my resume?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 AM
01VetteVert
Instructor

Originally Posted by CactusCat
I do IT work for a living as well. Your website work must be making the boss some serious $$ for him to give you a 01 with only 21K on it. That's almost unbelievable. Where do I give my resume?
I am hiring, I am in PA though We do alot more than websites. But yes. When I started we were 4 guys. I have brought this company up to 56 employees in 6 years. Thats why he likes me I do have a great team of guys now to that goes a long way!

Well got my Cam card from Pat G today, and teh heads should be at TSP any day. I just need headers, and this thing is going to be rocking.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 243 Head install on c5

Quick Reply: Help with 243 Head install on c5