C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hud Harness and Connector Question

Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default Hud Harness and Connector Question

This week, I picked up a cluster for my 98 C5 so I can install a hud. Everywhere I read, people say the harness is an 11 pin cable. Yet, everywhere I look at pics, the connector for the projector is 10 pins. The one on my cluster I just bought is 10 pins. (bit difficult to put an 11 pin idc connector in there).

Am I missing something? (Yea I know, besides a pin?)

Also, does anyone know where I can get the new cluster reprogrammed for the odometer and ECM, inexpensively?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
This week, I picked up a cluster for my 98 C5 so I can install a hud. Everywhere I read, people say the harness is an 11 pin cable. Yet, everywhere I look at pics, the connector for the projector is 10 pins. The one on my cluster I just bought is 10 pins. (bit difficult to put an 11 pin idc connector in there).

Am I missing something? (Yea I know, besides a pin?)

Also, does anyone know where I can get the new cluster reprogrammed for the odometer and ECM, inexpensively?
Been a while since I look at this, but I thought the 11 pin harness was only required, for a HUD enabled IPC, without HUD installed. Does your new cluster already have the HUD dimmer/page switch on the left?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

No it doesn't. It just has the basic cluster with two open wiring harnesses sticking out each side.

Ah, now that I look closer, that harness on the left you are talking about comes out as just a 6 pin IDC connector. But, at the other end, there's an 11 pin header on which to plug it in. So, I need to add 5 more pins to that end? Then the top header connector which actually goes to the projector, that's 10 pins. I think I get it now.

So, projector is 10 pins, control connector is 11. Need harnesses for both, or for one and retrofit the other?

Just didn't want to spend the next $500 without a good idea what I'm going to end up with. Thanks.

H&R Radio Svc in Warminster PA will do the reprogramming job for $125+shipping. Anyone know of a less expensive place to do that?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

No it doesn't. It just has the basic cluster with two open wiring harnesses sticking out each side.

Ah, now that I look closer, that harness on the left you are talking about comes out as just a 6 pin IDC connector. But, at the other end, there's an 11 pin header on which to plug it in. So, I need to add 5 more pins to that end? Then the top header connector which actually goes to the projector, that's 10 pins. I think I get it now.

So, projector is 10 pins, control connector is 11. Need harnesses for both, or for one and retrofit the other?

Just didn't want to spend the next $500 without a good idea what I'm going to end up with. Thanks.

H&R Radio Svc in Warminster PA will do the reprogramming job for $125+shipping. Anyone know of a less expensive place to do that?
I don't know what you mean by "retrofit". If you do not have the HUD dimmer/page control, then you need to install one, in place of the dimmer that is installed in the IPC now. So you'll still need one harness for the projector, and one for the dimmer/page control.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:53 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

What I mean by retrofit the harness is, add the extra wires it needs. Right now, it has an 11 pin idc connector with just 6 used holes. I have the pins for that type of connector (do rather a lot of electronics work). I can just add the other 5 wires. Then at the other end, it has just the 6 pin connector, I'd just cut that off and replace with an 11 pin so it would fit that HUD/Dimmer control that you are correct, I do not have yet. That comes with the projector kit from GMPartsHouse. I also am trying to buy a more complete cluster from the for sale section, so if that goes through, I'll save even a little more work.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

What I mean by retrofit the harness is, add the extra wires it needs. Right now, it has an 11 pin idc connector with just 6 used holes. I have the pins for that type of connector (do rather a lot of electronics work). I can just add the other 5 wires. Then at the other end, it has just the 6 pin connector, I'd just cut that off and replace with an 11 pin so it would fit that HUD/Dimmer control that you are correct, I do not have yet. That comes with the projector kit from GMPartsHouse. I also am trying to buy a more complete cluster from the for sale section, so if that goes through, I'll save even a little more work.
..and that's find, provided GM just added five pins....if not...who knows what will happen. You would be better off buying a harness, or getting a pinout from someone who has that cable. IMO.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Hud Harness and Connector Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hud Harness and Connector Question