C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sams battery lasted 5 1/2 years PRO-RATE is a JOKE

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 AM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Sams battery lasted 5 1/2 years PRO-RATE is a JOKE

My C5 refused to turn over even though the lights, radio, etc. worked OK.
Thought I had real ignition problems. Checked the Energizer battery with a hygrometer and found about 3/4 charge in 4 cells and 1/4 charge in other 2. Removed battery and went to Sams Club for a replacement.
Supposedly warranted for 8 years first 3 free replacement.
Although I have my receipts from 20 years ago couldn't find the one for this battery. It does have a month/year date code sticker so I felt that was enough. It USED TO BE.
They refused to pro rate the battery without the sales slip. They can look up purchases using your membership number but can only go back 2 years. Asst Mgr (General Mgr was not there) even implied that I bought the battery somewhere else. I've been a member for over 20 years and have returned things with and without a sales slip several times.
He said to call Corporate to get them to print out a sales slip.
Did that and the person at Corp HQ said I needed a COURT ORDER to print a sales slip over 2 years old
I expected about $15 pro rate having used the battery for 68 out of 84 months.
IT Gets WORSE
He got the pro rate sheet for the current Duracell batteries.
The adjustment for a 5 year old battery is 39 CENTS.
Instead of taking the price of the battery, dividing by the total months guaranteed, in this case 84 months, and subtracting the per month amount for each month used they have a ridiculous chart that after 3 years give you almost NOTHING toward a replacement battery.
After shopping around, Sears, Advance, AutoZone, PepBoys and Walmart (Walmart has higher cost lower capacity batteries not the ones they sell at Sams) the cheapest highest capacity battery is still at Sams. The specs on a 78 series Duracell battery are 1020 CA and 850 CCA with a reserve capacity of 115.
Have used Sams batteries in several cars and have had a couple go bad but never had an experience like this.

Last edited by bighank; 08-20-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM
mikes1000rr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sams is Walmart Switch to Costco Man.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bighank
My C5 refused to turn over even though the lights, radio, etc. worked OK.
Thought I had real ignition problems. Checked the Energizer battery with a hygrometer and found about 3/4 charge in 4 cells and 1/4 charge in other 2. Removed battery and went to Sams Club for a replacement.
Supposedly warranted for 8 years first 3 free replacement.
Although I have my receipts from 20 years ago couldn't find the one for this battery. It does have a month/year date code sticker so I felt that was enough. It USED TO BE.
They refused to pro rate the battery without the sales slip. They can look up purchases using your membership number but can only go back 2 years. Asst Mgr (General Mgr was not there) even implied that I bought the battery somewhere else. I've been a member for over 20 years and have returned things with and without a sales slip several times.
He said to call Corporate to get then to print out a sales slip.
Did that and the person at Corp HQ said I needed a COURT ORDER to print a sales slip over 2 years old
I expected about $15 pro rate having used the battery for 68 out of 84 months.
IT Gets WORSE
He got the pro rate sheet for the current Duracell batteries.
The adjustment for a 5 year old battery is 39 CENTS.
Instead of taking the price of the battery, dividing by the total months guaranteed, in this case 84 months, and subtracting the per month amount for each month used they have a ridiculous chart that after 3 years give you almost NOTHING toward a replacement battery.
After shopping around, Sears, Advance, AutoZone, PepBoys and Walmart (Walmart has higher cost lower capacity batteries not the ones they sell at Sams) the cheapest highest capacity battery is still at Sams. The specs on a 78 series Duracell battery are 1020 CA and 850 CCA with a reserve capacity of 115.
Have used Sams batteries in several cars and have had a couple go bad but never had an experience like this.
So, now that you have got that out of your system......would you still have purchased the battery, had you known the pro-rate policy up front?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:01 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default If you go to Advance and pay $115 for an $82 battery you are prorating $33

Originally Posted by lucky131969
So, now that you have got that out of your system......would you still have purchased the battery, had you known the pro-rate policy up front?
If I could but a battery with similar characteristics for the same or less I would. Corvettes are known to be really hard on batteries. Bigger in this case is better. Why pay MORE for less capacity and then wind up in a similar boat a few years down the road.
Don't see paying substantially more for less.

Last edited by bighank; 08-20-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bighank
If I could but a battery with similar characteristics for the same or less I would. Corvettes are known to be really hard on batteries. Bigger in this case is better. Why pay MORE for less capacity and then wind up in a similar boat a few years down the road.
Batteries seem to be a crapshoot, but I've been fortunate enough, to have every factory battery I've purchased, go the distance or more. I guess you have two lessons learned here:

1) Keep your receipt
2) Be aware of the pro-rate policy before you buy

Get notified of new replies

To Sams battery lasted 5 1/2 years PRO-RATE is a JOKE

Quick Reply: Sams battery lasted 5 1/2 years PRO-RATE is a JOKE