C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flushed and replaced Dexcool but only took 10 quarts of coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Flushed and replaced Dexcool but only took 10 quarts of coolant

Drained, flushed and refilled today. Opened petcock at bottom of radiator and waited till it stopped running. Had cap off of coolant reservoir and made sure it drained. Removed 3 nuts on reservoir, unplugged sensor and removed 3 hoses going to reservoir. Used a garden hose and ran water into both of the large hoses (one at a time) and ran until water coming out of unplugged hose and radiator ran completely clear.
Started car and continued flushing thru coolant hoses with engine running.
Still some coolant in engine but did this till all water ran clear.
Shut off engine and allowed it to drain from hoses and radiator.
Blew into the hoses from the coolant tank and had another quart or so of water come out other hose.
Closed radiator petcock and reconnected hoses to coolant tank. Slowly added 2 gallons of Dexcool to coolant tank then added more water (about 2 or 3 quarts) till reservoir was almost full. Started engine and let it come up to operating temperature. Thermostat started opening around 180 and hoses seemed hot at 190 or 195.
Accelerated engine to see if it would clear any air in the system.
Took a small amount of water.
Installed pressure cap and took it for a test drive. Initially temp was 225 but dropped to 195 after about 1/2 mile of driving. Temp went up to 210 while waiting at a light but quickly dropped when driving at about 70 MPH to about 185. Came back home and let the car sit to make sure that there was no leakage at the petcock, or where I disconnected the hoses at the coolant tank.
I believe a completely dry system calls for 15 quarts. Using the Dexcool and water I added only about 10 or 11 quarts of fluid.
Unless there is trapped air in the system i suspect the other 4 quarts of water remained in the system after flushing with clear water.
Will check system tomorrow and for the next few days to see if I need to add more water.BIGHANK
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Sounds typical. I let mine drain for a couple hours and fluid was still draining. Some low pressure air at the resevoir and squeezing the hoses got more out. I put the Dexcool in first and distilled water second. Only got to 10.5-11 total qts. Added about a half pint of water each time I ran it the next 2-3 times. Works like a champ.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure there is no air in the system?

Get notified of new replies

To Flushed and replaced Dexcool but only took 10 quarts of coolant

Quick Reply: Flushed and replaced Dexcool but only took 10 quarts of coolant