C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF! AC Compressor? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF! AC Compressor? HELP!

Smoke is coming from starter area when I turn the AC on. There is no smoke coming from the compressor, but the AC light blinks and there was a grinding/clicking noise coming from the compressor. I wonder if there is compressor oil leaking onto the headers. The starter and wiring was coated with a shiny substance, which was not coolant. I'm not having any cooling issues and the coolant level remains the same. The smoke did not smell like coolant or engine oil.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:53 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Sounds like you're on the right track.
I drove my car 50 miles home with the A/C off. Now when I turn my AC on, you can hear the compressor clutch kick on and a brief stint of cold air comes through the vent, but then the compressor disengages and it doesn't smoke anymore. The A/C light just blinks, then shuts off, then comes on for 5 seconds (and thats 5 seconds of cool air), then shuts off, then comes back on for 5 second, then shuts off, etc.

I spoke with a buddy of mine whom is an AC tech and he mentioned that there is too much oil in the system. Makes sense because I added a can of freon/oil this morning to it and stopped when it hit 45psi, it drove fine on the way in too work, nice cool A/C, but during my luch hour after it sat for 4 hours is when it happened. He said the compressor cant compress oil and that I blew my o ring seals in the rear of the compressor. He said that when you hear the compressor click on and off, it means it's low on freon.

He said when he gets a free wkend, he is going to change my Orings out on the rear of the compressor. He said my A/C compressor should be fine and that I just need to change the Orings, evac and refill the system.

Last edited by All_Motor_C5LS6; 09-22-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Are there any write ups on how to replace the rear washer seals on the compressor?

Get notified of new replies

To WTF! AC Compressor? HELP!

Quick Reply: WTF! AC Compressor? HELP!