C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd->4th gear "click" when hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 3rd->4th gear "click" when hot

I am getting a 3rd->4th gear "click" shifting at high rpms but only when the fluid is very hot i.e during drag racing.

It is not your typical gear grind, like when a synchro is going (i.e doing it all the time). The tranny shifts smooth otherwise.

Could it be the clutch not fully disengaging? Shifter alignment? Time to pull out the tranny?

Last edited by mchicia1; 09-26-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:49 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a single click? Really loud or subtle? Could be something in the trans like a fork going but start with the easy stuff.

Realigning the shifter is free and very easy so try that first.

How old is the trans fluid (and how often do you track your vette)?

What does your clutch fluid look like? Do you ever bleed it (via ranger method or otherwise)?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM
mchicia1
Drifting

Good questions.

It is a single click and it is loud. You can feel the click as well as hear it. Other than that, the shifter always goes into gear with no issues.

I have made about 15 total passes in the car since I got it early '11.

My clutch fluid still looks great, I use super blue ATE.
I completely swap the fluid every 6 months as I have a remote bleeder. I suck the fluid out, add new fluid, then I bleed it by cracking open the line and putting it into the reservoir and pumping the pedal over and over. Maybe I should do this and finish off with a traditional bleed....hmmm. I will try that tonight.

I use amsoil torque drive for the trans fluid and I just changed it prior to the track. It looked brand new coming out, still bright red, as it was only a year old.

I will realign the shifter and bleed my clutch some more and will update the thread. Just not sure how I am going to test this on the street.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 PM
mchicia1
Drifting

-Realigned the shifter, which didn't do anything as it was already aligned.
-Bled the clutch with a mityvac and to my surprise there were tons of air bubbles. I bled it so there was just fluid in the clear tubing coming out. The clutch feels much better...not nearly as stiff.

I thought I fixed it because I went wot and shifted at 5500 rpms with no issues. Did a second pull all the way to 6500 and it is still doing the "click" going into 4th.

The clutch bleeding drastically improved casual shifting though...it is very smooth now at low to mid rpms. I am not going to worry about it...not spending 2 grand right now.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:48 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate so say it but it sounds to me like that click is probably an internal transmission component. If you want a true expert opinion along with probably the most competitive quote to fix it you're going to get contact Rick Kim at RKT56. http://rktperformance.com/contact/

Rick has probably forgotten more about these T56's than most of us will ever know. I've worked with him before and will do so again. He has an impeccable reputation on this forum.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:52 AM
mchicia1
Drifting

You're probably right. Yeah I was going to have Rick build my rear with 3.90s over the winter. But $1700 to rebuild the trans =( maybe he has packaged deals lol.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
I hate so say it but it sounds to me like that click is probably an internal transmission component. If you want a true expert opinion along with probably the most competitive quote to fix it you're going to get contact Rick Kim at RKT56. http://rktperformance.com/contact/

Rick has probably forgotten more about these T56's than most of us will ever know. I've worked with him before and will do so again. He has an impeccable reputation on this forum.
Thanks Chris!

Originally Posted by mchicia1
You're probably right. Yeah I was going to have Rick build my rear with 3.90s over the winter. But $1700 to rebuild the trans =( maybe he has packaged deals lol.
Sounds like a broken synchronizer key. Give us a call and I'll see what I can do. I do give package deals when you have the trans/diff done at the same time.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 PM
mchicia1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT56
Thanks Chris!

Sounds like a broken synchronizer key. Give us a call and I'll see what I can do. I do give package deals when you have the trans/diff done at the same time.
Will give you a call over winter once my wedding is over and my debt is cleared from it =).
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Will give you a call over winter once my wedding is over and my debt is cleared from it =).

Get notified of new replies

To 3rd->4th gear "click" when hot

Quick Reply: 3rd->4th gear "click" when hot