C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use Rick Kim - RKT Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Anybody use Rick Kim - RKT Performance?

If you haven't and need any drivetrain work you really need to call Rick.

I've known Rick for a couple of years now and we've become car, golf and cigar friends. Last year he built up my tranny and diff to Level 4 specs. He used some C6Z06 guts in the 3 rib case for extra strength and reliability. He also went through the prop shaft and added Drive Shaft Shop bushings so I don't have to worry about those any more. While he was in there I asked him to pulled the super grabby Spec 3+ clutch and install an RPS Carbon Carbon Street Light Twin. Great clutch. Everything was perfect!

I've been laid up for the last few weeks recuperating from a knee replacement and got to thinking - also dangerous. I ran 3.90's in my 403 build and really liked them. They gave me a better gear for some places and made 6th more usable. I lost those when I upgraded to a Z06 TT, tranny and diff so.....I mentioned to Rick a couple weeks ago that I was thinking of swapping the 3.42's in the rear and going back to 3.90's.

Knowing I was still laid up, Rick said "No Problem"! He drove the 60 miles from his shop last night and picked up my car. He dropped it off tonight with the new gears. I also had him install the insulator for the 3/8" tunnel plate to keep things a little cooler.

I don't think you will find anyone more passionate about his work and his dedication to his customers.

Now I face the difficult task of keeping it under 50MPH for another 450 miles to heat cycle the new gears. Should make it a little quicker also.

http://rktperformance.com/

As would have it, my bud/tuner Ed Hutchings was at Rick's all week.

Last edited by WKMCD; 10-04-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 PM
CuZ06
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am working with him right now on 3.90s for my 2002 z06....he's given me great advice and is clearly an expert at both rebuilding drivelines and in treating customers right.......

Rick Kim rocks......
Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Rick is AWESOME to work with and really knows his way around these transmissions. I took my busted T56 up to his garage and in the space of about fifteen minutes he had completely disassembled it in front of me and explained exactly what had gone wrong and given me a quote to fix it.

He's also an incredibly chill person to talk to.

If you ever need any drivetrain work done and have the option of using RKT56 don't hesitate for a second... You won't find anyone better.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD

Now I face the difficult task of keeping it under 50MPH for another 450 miles to heat cycle the new gears.
Nah... just put it up on jack stands and set cruise control.

.... Kidding please don't do that to your beautiful car.

How much power/torque are you up to now? Are you concerned at all about having to "row" your car around with 3.90's and such a high power level? You probably won't be using first gear very often...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:54 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
Nah... just put it up on jack stands and set cruise control.

.... Kidding please don't do that to your beautiful car.

How much power/torque are you up to now? Are you concerned at all about having to "row" your car around with 3.90's and such a high power level? You probably won't be using first gear very often...
LOL - I do start in second when I get lazy. I'm at 577/530 with an table top flat torque curve. It make over 400ft/lbs of torque at 2kRPM. The tip in is just nuts.

I can "row" the car when I'm in a hurry or just start in second and skip gears. Either way, I still think these cars should have come with 3.90's.

BTW: To keep it under 50MPH this morning I took Lee Highway all the way in from Haymarket and Braddock Rd to my office in Alexandria. Took me twice as long but I need to get these 500 miles on quickly.

The lower line is the previous 403 build with Stage 2 L92 heads. The top line is the 427 with WCCH Stage 3 heads.

Both builds were/are extremely mild.

Last edited by WKMCD; 10-05-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I agree. RK is indeed a good man.

Btw, hope your feeling better Kevin. That stuff just takes time.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 AM
DBOTHEBOSS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IT only took one small job to realize I was in good hands. All work will be going through Rick from here on out. I highly suggest him to anyone having work done on their C5.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM
jsbzoh6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He went out of his way to help me out when he did the work for me. I met him at his house and he finished a transmission rebuild and diff inspection over a weekend to make sure I had it ready on Monday. Without a doubt the best.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Wow, thanks guys for kind words. Did I mention Kevin's car scared me when he told me to do a 3rd gear pull? That car is getting better all the time with well thought out upgrades. Kevin, you got me thinking on the coilovers after the drive to and back from the shop. LOL.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM
McLeod
Pro

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT56
Wow, thanks guys for kind words. Did I mention Kevin's car scared me when he told me to do a 3rd gear pull? That car is getting better all the time with well thought out upgrades. Kevin, you got me thinking on the coilovers after the drive to and back from the shop. LOL.
Rick the more time you spend around Kevin and his "cruiser" the lighter your wallet will become. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I agree. RK is indeed a good man.

Btw, hope your feeling better Kevin. That stuff just takes time.
Thanks! Actually, I'm way ahead of the curve on rehab. I walked into the hospital on crutches and out of the hospital with only a cane and haven't used that since 3 days after surgery. No massive bone pain like before the surgery. I had full range of motion (140 degrees) 15 days after surgery and now I'm working on strength and balance. Still doing PT 3 x's a week and hope to play 18 6 weeks after surgery if the doc says it's OK. I'm just taking this one carefully since it's the third time it's been replaced in the last 5 years. Number one = infection..number 2= came loose. Fingers crossed 3rd times a charm.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by McLeod
Rick the more time you spend around Kevin and his "cruiser" the lighter your wallet will become. Ask me how I know.
You don't have to tell me. Why do you think I'm doing the 440 CID NA build?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:01 PM
MStrahan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too was extremely impressed by Rick. I had him do a diff for me with 3.90 gears and I have absolutely zero to complain about. The diff broke in just fine and has zero whine.
Very few folks take care of their customers like Rick does.

Keep up the good work Rick!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Thanks! Actually, I'm way ahead of the curve on rehab. I walked into the hospital on crutches and out of the hospital with only a cane and haven't used that since 3 days after surgery. No massive bone pain like before the surgery. I had full range of motion (140 degrees) 15 days after surgery and now I'm working on strength and balance. Still doing PT 3 x's a week and hope to play 18 6 weeks after surgery if the doc says it's OK. I'm just taking this one carefully since it's the third time it's been replaced in the last 5 years. Number one = infection..number 2= came loose. Fingers crossed 3rd times a charm.
Super!

Now don't be Jonesing Rick for any walking-wounded discounts.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MStrahan
I too was extremely impressed by Rick. I had him do a diff for me with 3.90 gears and I have absolutely zero to complain about. The diff broke in just fine and has zero whine.
Very few folks take care of their customers like Rick does.

Keep up the good work Rick!!!
Thanks Matt!!!

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Super!

Now don't be Jonesing Rick for any walking-wounded discounts.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:47 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Rick just did an upgraded diff for me, and after the break in (before, too) there's no noise, and with both braces installed, should be fine for my power level. Speaking of which; The power numbers are just slightly more than Kevin's, and I don't have any traction with 325's on the rear. I know the gears feel good, but I like the tall 6th gear I have now with the standard 3:42s. Modulating the throttle is easy to preach, but in tight spots, a little too much right foot, my car is suddenly a drift car. The difference with having the two braces installed means the car no longer has a tendency to fishtail; it just slowly drifts the assend to the right, and is very controllable.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:00 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Originally Posted by McLeod
You don't have to tell me. Why do you think I'm doing the 440 CID NA build?

DAMN!!! Everybody blames me for everything when in fact I'm only responsible for most of it.

Last edited by WKMCD; 10-05-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody use Rick Kim - RKT Performance?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by zeevette
Rick just did an upgraded diff for me, and after the break in (before, too) there's no noise, and with both braces installed, should be fine for my power level. Speaking of which; The power numbers are just slightly more than Kevin's, and I don't have any traction with 325's on the rear. I know the gears feel good, but I like the tall 6th gear I have now with the standard 3:42s. Modulating the throttle is easy to preach, but in tight spots, a little too much right foot, my car is suddenly a drift car. The difference with having the two braces installed means the car no longer has a tendency to fishtail; it just slowly drifts the assend to the right, and is very controllable.

DAMN!!! Everybody blames me for everything when in fact I'm only responsible for some of it.
Come on Kevin, take it like a man! Hahahahaha.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Come on Kevin, take it like a man! Hahahahaha.
Hey Rick,

Took the back roads all of the 37 miles to work today. Even got the car inspected since the sticker's been dead since 9/30.

I kept the speed below 50MPH the whole time. I'm not used to people passing me...I don't know how you guys do it.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
McLeod
Pro

DAMN!!! Everybody blames me for everything when in fact I'm only responsible for most of it.
When I grow up I want to be just like you.

Quick Reply: Anybody use Rick Kim - RKT Performance?