C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1242 H C and possible related codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 03:33 PM
GOT_LS1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1242 H C and possible related codes

I've scoured the forums and found some good tips to get rid of my typically permanent C1242 code, including cleaning the ground to the BPMV motor (G101 I believe?) but the code is still there. The code was consistant for several months but the past few months it would clear on occasion and sure enough everything worked like it should. The first time it cleared while it was wet out, the other after sitting overnight in the garage. I know the pump works as I got it to engage the ABS for the brief time it worked.

I've read putting 12V to the two prong connector leading to the motor will exersice it and maybe clear it? Haven't tried that yet, wanted to ask and make sure I won't short something.

Should I trace the ground wire all the way back to the motor and check for any damage? Recently i'm also getting a very intermittent SERVICE VEHICLE SOON which comes up with C1287H (Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction) and C1288H (Steering Sensor Circuit Malfunction). Could these all be related somehow? Also U1160H popped, but can't find what it specifically says it lost communication with.

Appreciate any help!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your 04 has a connector under the EBTCM that the motor BPMV connects to. Is it properly connected and are the FEMALE pins in the connector making proper connection with the male pins. Go to NAPA and find soem spare male pins to test with. Insert the spare male pin into the female pins and make sure that the connection/grip is nice and firm/tight.. Make sure that the wires to the connector are in good shape.

I use an old male pin from an old electrical component:

Bill
Old 10-11-2012, 04:14 PM
GOT_LS1
Advanced

Thanks for the suggested test Bill. I'll run out and check the connector/wires. I disconnected and reconnected that pump connector and main EBCM connector not too long ago to see if that worked and no such luck. But then again, it didn't start intermittently working until after I did that so it could be the culprit!

Any suggestion on the steering sensor codes?

Last edited by GOT_LS1; 10-11-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add question
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 AM
GOT_LS1
Advanced

Unfortunately my 1242 code is still there. Resistance check on the motor ground wire shows a near perfect ground from G101 to the EBCM connector. One of the very few threads related to this code suggested measuring between the two pins in the pigtail going to the motor. Well, I think I need to double check that because my multimeter said about 1 ohm and i belive that is way too low.

Any gurus want to chime in and agree I may need a new BPMV?

Also, does any one the Hampton Roads area of Virginia have a Tech II or similar scanner to command that solenoid on and off so I can test if my EBCM is still good?

Get notified of new replies

To C1242 H C and possible related codes

Quick Reply: C1242 H C and possible related codes