C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 06:17 PM
ziggy77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer.

If anyone has heard of a way or knows how to unlock a power proggrammer could they drop me a way to do it. i see someone on ebay is selling the instructions on how to do so for 20.00 but i don't want to gamble on paying his 20 fee and it now work. i have a 99 camaro/firebird ls1 ppIII and i own a 97 c5 so this would be bennificial to me. any help would be great. thanks

chris :cheers:
Old 06-05-2002, 01:13 PM
lostsoulny
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (ziggy77)

yeah return the first vehicle back to stock :D :jester
Old 06-05-2002, 01:15 PM
ronnie948
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (ziggy77)

Hey Ziggy, If you find out. Let us Know. I really don't think it can be done. It is set up to only be used one one vehical at A time. I think they thought it out pretty good when they first started making them. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :cheers:
Old 06-05-2002, 10:23 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (ronnie948)

It's not thought out too good if I have TWO cars and only one Power programmer.

Why should I have to purchase two programmers?
Good for business? I don't know. Doesn't sound very conducive to building a loyal customer base.

What if I want to sell my Power Programmer to you?
I have to "deprogram" my car?
Nah, I'l pass on the Power Programmer.

Old 06-05-2002, 10:34 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (VetNutJim)

I believe they are basically selling you the program, the programmer is just the "tool" used to install it.
or you could give it to all of your friends, or charge others a small fee to program their cars.

either way, it's still too expensive for the limited tuining it does give you. :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for the funds to buy LS1 edit! :cool:
Old 06-06-2002, 09:58 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (RPOZ4Z)

My car seems to run great on the HPP III program, so we downloaded it with LS1 Edit, reprogrammed the car to stock, I then sold the HPP III, and reloaded with LS1 Edit. :D Four people can buy a multiple liscense LS1 Edit and spread the cost, works great. :yesnod:
Old 06-06-2002, 10:12 AM
THRAP 42
Pro

To the best of my knowledge it can't be done. It's a copyright thing that HyperTech uses to make sure it's only on one car at a time. If the original user did not download the program and return to factory defaults the programmer is useless to the next user.
I like mine, it and a blackwing got me 10rwhp on the dyno, plus the firming up the shift points is a good thing for the A4.

later,
Old 06-06-2002, 12:26 PM
ronnie948
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (THRAP 42)

Hey Thrap! What do you have your Hypertech Programmed at? I have mine at 1st to 2nd +2
2nd to 3rd +5
3rd to 4th -0-
Rev limiter to 6,300 RPM
I still use the 195% thermastat
and I use normal gasoline
I also used 75% shift firmness
It sure made A big diffrence in my 98 Coupe's all around performance. It's hard to believe it is the same car. I have A Blackwing, Magnaflow with X-Pipe and An Automatic transmission with A 273 axle ratio.
In your opinion is my setting's OK? I just get on it now and then on the street, not the strip.

:confused: :cheers: :confused: :D :chevy
Old 06-06-2002, 02:00 PM
THRAP 42
Pro

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (ronnie948)

Ronnie,
Still playing with the transmission shift points. Mine are at 2,4, 6mph for 1, 2, 3rd respectively. Rev limiter at 6400 and 75% for firmness. Agree on the difference of before and after. Especially the firmness. My wifes head jerks back on each shift because she does not know when the shift is coming. If I go WOT then I have to tell her to put her head on the seat. Mine is just a street machine too. With my limited knowledge of the shift points I would say your in the ball park. The finer points of the adjustments would have to be done on a track with all the timing sheets to see how each change affected the performance of the car.

later,
Old 06-07-2002, 10:13 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Thrap! What do you have your Hypertech Programmed at? I have mine at 1st to 2nd +2
2nd to 3rd +5
3rd to 4th -0-
Rev limiter to 6,300 RPM
I still use the 195% thermastat
and I use normal gasoline
I also used 75% shift firmness
It sure made A big diffrence in my 98 Coupe's all around performance. It's hard to believe it is the same car. I have A Blackwing, Magnaflow with X-Pipe and An Automatic transmission with A 273 axle ratio.
In your opinion is my setting's OK? I just get on it now and then on the street, not the strip.
My settings are identical to yours. I assume you also optimized the fan-on points for your 195' thermostat which the HPPIII allows. The only difference in our cars is I'm running the A&A mod with an X-pipe instead of the Magnaflow and I have 3.15 gears. I also downloaded the power program and it's fine with the 93 octane I've been running. Absolutely no pinging. I'm very pleased with the unit. :yesnod:
Ed
Old 06-07-2002, 11:47 AM
6spdNavy99
Burning Brakes

I believe Hypertech will do it if you send it in (for a fee). When I tried to do it, I believe they wanted proof that I had sold the other car... :rolleyes:
Old 06-07-2002, 09:58 PM
AP
Team Owner

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (lostsoulny)

I dont think its possible ..? :confused:
Old 06-07-2002, 11:50 PM
ziggy77
Instructor

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (NewVetteLover)

everyone take a look at this auction and you decide. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...648091&r=0&t=0
Old 06-08-2002, 09:51 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

he says that he's never tried it on any OBD II cars, and he "thinks" it should work.
'97 and newer corvettes are OBD II.

but this line scares me

"this is a great price. Since I am selling knowledge, this is non-refundable, but it is cheap."

how can he sell knowledge of something that he hasn't tried? and therefore has no knowledge of (in the case of the OBD II cars)? :eek:

why not e-mail the buyer and ask him if it worked!

other than that I would save your $20.00 for something else.

[Modified by RPOZ4Z, 8:54 AM 6/8/2002]
Old 06-08-2002, 09:58 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (RPOZ4Z)

sounds like :bs to me, pass on the 20$
Old 06-08-2002, 01:12 PM
ziggy77
Instructor

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (Timz06)

those are all good points you guys are making. i was hoping someone new what he was doing and could give out the info for free. can't hurt to try it if it's free. :cheers:
Old 06-10-2002, 01:46 PM
lostsoulny
Le Mans Master

I have a method but of course I dont knwo for sure if it will work on your car but if you will send me $10 I will galdy fwd you the info only tool required is a hammer :D

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer.

Old 06-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (lostsoulny)

Sure its got to be possible. But why waste your time with the Hypertech? For the money, get LS1 Edit and go to town. Everyone has files, so you can usually find something with the same mods that you have that has been pretty well matched to the car. You can do a lot more with the LS1 Edit than the Hypertech's non-adjustable static settings. And if you plan to keep adding mods and/or do a head/cam or blower..... the LS1 Edit is the only way to go.

Even the editors can be cracked. I don't know about the LS1 version, but the LT1 version had a lot of problems with the early editions.

I've read where the guys that came up with LT1 Edit and LS1 Edit have been having a lot of problems because there is such a black market for their programs. A lot of people are pirating them off to friends who only have to reprogram their PCM with a different VIN to get it to work. Myself, I like Tunercat. Roughly the same as LT1 Edit for all intents and purposes - they do the same job, just on a different format.

I guess Hypertech is ok if you haven't touched your car. It seems to be the ticket for drivers. I am more of the technofile when it comes to my cars and I prefer to know exactly what is what on my machines. Besides, it makes sense. Hypertech costs what? $300? You can BUY the software for LS1 Edit for about $150 and make your own cord for $10 or buy the version they offer for $60. Everything else required is shareware. Not only is it cheaper, but it lets you grow and adjust beyond your car's current setup. And we all know that no two C5s run the same.... so why plug in a static spark/fuel map?
Old 06-10-2002, 08:02 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (Brett C5 SCCA)

(snip)
Hypertech costs what? $300? You can BUY the software for LS1 Edit for about $150 and make your own cord for $10 or buy the version they offer for $60.
(snip)
$210 would be a great price, BUT -- I went up to the LS1_Edit webpage, and I think they are quoting the cost of the LIMITED package at $550. That's a big jump over $210.

What am I missing??? :confused: :confused:

[Modified by Kent1999, 5:03 PM 6/10/2002]
Old 06-10-2002, 10:54 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer. (Kent1999)

yea, where can you buy the software for $150.00?

please e-mail me if you don't want to tell on an open forum. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to UNLOCK a Hypertech power proggrammer.