C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying: Intel on F45 Suspension and Mag Wheels

Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 PM
FlyUSAF2002
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying: Intel on F45 Suspension and Mag Wheels

Hi everyone -

Andy here - a transplant from the C4 forum. In short: a military guy who was transferred from Philly to San Fran. I had to sell my beloved C4 for emissions issues - and have been in the market for a C5 now for about 6 months.

I think I've got the car:
2000 Coupe - under 30,000 miles - a price I can work with.

It has two options that concern me: The F45 Selectable Suspension and the factory magnesium wheels.

First - the F45: I have driven lots of C5's over the past few months, but never with F45. How can I ops-check the system to make sure it's 100% in order? If something's not working, will the car inform me on the display or with a warning light, or is there some other way to check out the F45 system? In your opinion, is this a reliable system, or is it prone to breaks and malfunctions?

Second - From searches, I understand that some C5's had wheel problems - even cracks. Is there anything in particular to look at on these Magnesium wheels?

I appreciate replies,
Andy
Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 PM
egrand333
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't be suprised if you can't tell the difference between the f45 settings. Under certain conditions you might notice something but not much. If no codes just make sure they don't leak. The magnesium wheels were a $2000 option in 2000.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems like the magnesium wheels chip a bit more easily than others. Something else to consider is that it can be a pain to have the wheel weights placed correctly on the front wheels because there isn't enough clearance between the caliper and wheel. One way around it is to go with 18" magnesium wheels all around. I did and I love the look!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 PM
FlyUSAF2002
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a standard OBD II code reader - can I just plug into the port to check for codes, or do I need to follow the diagnostic procedure listed in the first reply?

In other words - is there any reason a F45 code would show up on the "diagnostic mode" but not in my code-scanner?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 10-26-2012, 01:55 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If your scanner has the module that is specific to the C5 specific codes, then you can use your scanner. I personally doubt your scanner will see anything other than the emissions codes. That's par for the course for most inexpensive scanners. The car specific modules are a bit more than inexpensive.

The procedure above is actually pretty simple to learn even without the car if you watch the video a few times. Spend a few minutes watching the video and skip your scanner.

Learn to use the integrated Diagnostics!! They are a LOT more inclusive and will show you ALL the DTCs..

IF,,, you purchase the car,, you will very soon lose interest and get tires of the lack luster performance of the F45 FE1 Base Suspension and when you up grade to the Z51 or the ZO6 suspension, you will be MUCH HAPPIER!

The F45 shocks are very expensive and IMHO,, a total waste of money!

C6 ZO6 shocks are a direct bolt in replacement and a very affordable and impressive upgrade.

You will have to have the F45 option removed from the BCM using the GM TECH2 Anyone who has a TECH2 can easily do it.

BC
Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

I've had the F45 suspension in my 98 for 118K miles and it's still going strong. When or if it quits I'll miss it but I will replace it with normal shocks and either 'fool' it with resistors or tune it out. It's not a make or break reason in a car purchase.

Those mag wheels are something else. Very bad. You need to take them off and send them to me. I'll replace them with some nice Wagon Wheels. :^)
Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
I've had the F45 suspension in my 98 for 118K miles and it's still going strong. When or if it quits I'll miss it but I will replace it with normal shocks and either 'fool' it with resistors or tune it out. It's not a make or break reason in a car purchase.

Those mag wheels are something else. Very bad. You need to take them off and send them to me. I'll replace them with some nice Wagon Wheels. :^)

You had the same idea that I had.. Yeah,, if you dont like them I too have wagon wheels that you can replace them with! I will take the Mags in for SCRAP VALUE!

Good luck on your purchase and if you live close to South East CT,, I will program the F-45 out for you as a WELCOME TO THE CORVETTE WORLD gift!

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Buying: Intel on F45 Suspension and Mag Wheels

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying: Intel on F45 Suspension and Mag Wheels