C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Manifold Studs/Bolts

Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 AM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Manifold Studs/Bolts

I have a 99 C5 and am going to install LG Street Headers sometime over the next week or so. I looked at the bolts on the stock exhaust manifold and they are rusted but don't look too bad. Any suggestions about removing them to make sure they don't break? I assume lots of PB blaster and some heat?

Also are they bolts or studs and does anyone know what size? As long as I have them off I would like to replace them with new bolts/studs.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
rnelson11
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

My Kooks headers came with new bolts. It says on the bag 'M8X25 Flange Bolts'. They are for a 2004 LS1 but sould be the same.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 AM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rnelson11
My Kooks headers came with new bolts. It says on the bag 'M8X25 Flange Bolts'. They are for a 2004 LS1 but sould be the same.
Thanks. I'll wait to see if the LG headers come with bolts. Did you have any diffuculty removing the stock manifold?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ive reused mine dozens of times and never once had a problem removing them or reinstalling them. Just buff them up with a wire brush and they will clean right up. Just make sure that the engine is cold before you remove any dissimular metal threaded fastener.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Ive reused mine dozens of times and never once had a problem removing them or reinstalling them. Just buff them up with a wire brush and they will clean right up. Just make sure that the engine is cold before you remove any dissimular metal threaded fastener.
Thanks. Did you have to use any heat? I've heard horror stories of having studs break and then trying to get them out. Was a little worried abou the bolts.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are you located? Bolts are horrors to deal with in cold wet climates as they are prone to rusting and can become brittle from constant hot and cold fluctuation. Down here in southern cali and dryer warm climates, people find bolts to be a piece of cake. Not the case for me growing up in Oregon. You knew, any bolts coming off the exhaust where going to be toast. (At least on older cars).
Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NukeC5
Where are you located? Bolts are horrors to deal with in cold wet climates as they are prone to rusting and can become brittle from constant hot and cold fluctuation. Down here in southern cali and dryer warm climates, people find bolts to be a piece of cake. Not the case for me growing up in Oregon. You knew, any bolts coming off the exhaust where going to be toast. (At least on older cars).
Central Illinois. I just bought the car this summer, but it has been in Illinois virtully its entire life. Bolts don't look too bad but don't want to break them and end up with a project I can't complete.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Replaced mine with Allen key more clearance around the headers than socket heads and it looks cleaner.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have never had any issues at all. They just came out with out any problems. No heat, No corrosion, no issues and I live on the coast in southeast CT and drive my car in the winter (when the streets are clear)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 AM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

I have never had any issues at all. They just came out with out any problems. No heat, No corrosion, no issues and I live on the coast in southeast CT and drive my car in the winter (when the streets are clear)
Thanks Bill! I guess I was a little leary after disconnecting the h pipe at the manifold flange and the very first stud snapped at the flange. But I understand those are much softer bolts. Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:08 PM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Bolts came out without a problem. I thought about replacing them with new bolts until I called the dealership and they wanted $2.50 a bolt. Old ones are fine.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 PM
mighty mousd
Instructor

Originally Posted by tentuna
Replaced mine with Allen key more clearance around the headers than socket heads and it looks cleaner.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Manifold Studs/Bolts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold Studs/Bolts