C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal Randomly not coming up as far but still working...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Cross
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Randomly not coming up as far but still working...?

I cannot think of a better way to describe this other than the clutch is still engaging and disengaging but sometimes its doing it where it normally does right near the top and every so often it does it just barely off the floor.
I have noticed I can pull the pedal back up at times before the incident happens sometimes.

Again this is not really often with a lot of stop and go driving to work it will happen a few times randomly then go right back to normal.

Modifications in the last 3-5k:
Spec Stage 3
Light Weight Flywheel
New Slave
Tick Master
Speed Bleeder

I flushed the fluid last night I do it every month as it always seems to be dirty.

The issue just started last night.

The only thing I can think of is before switching to the Tick I had removed the Return Spring but its been at least 3k miles since then with no issue...
Old 11-03-2012, 02:49 AM
bob22z06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's prob your tick ...
Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 PM
bodeane13
Heel & Toe

would love to know what you find out.. I have the same issue.. I have the spec 2+ clutch, I have replaced the master and slave too many times in the last 2 years as well as bleeding and using the OEM clutch fliud..also had a custom high pressure hose made..
Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 PM
cptinjak
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cross
I flushed the fluid last night I do it every month as it always seems to be dirty.

The issue just started last night.
How are you "flushing" the fluids? are you draining and re-filling the reservoir? Did you put a different fluid than normal in this time? I try not to believe in coincidence, and the fact that it started when you flushed the fluid is hard to look past.

Why not bleed it? You have a speed bleeder. Run a few reservoirs-worth of good fluid through to eliminate the possibility of water/dust/air in the fluid.

If that doesn't do it, then I'm sorry to say it sounds like a slave failing.

Jack
Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Cross
Pro

Flushing is done with the same fluid every time since installed Synth Dot 4 from Valvoline.

I do run through fluid after sucking the resovour almost dry then cleaning it with a cloth to get everything clean. I will do it again tonight as I replaced that clutch pedal return spring and it helps but still tries to disengage at the floor almost sometimes mainly when leaving from a stop in say first or when parking.

The method used has been the same since I started doing this too the car to be honest and i find myself wondering if the speed bleeder is the cause or if somehow the remote bleeder line is trapping air because of where I have it routed.

It feels fine when I get on it or shift hard its just really when parking or starting from a stop. I am not sure what else to make of it yet other than I think the Tick has an issue.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:51 PM
cptinjak
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flushing is done with the same fluid every time since installed Synth Dot 4 from Valvoline.

I do run through fluid after sucking the resovour almost dry then cleaning it with a cloth to get everything clean.

The method used has been the same since I started doing this too the car to be honest and i find myself wondering if the speed bleeder is the cause or if somehow the remote bleeder line is trapping air because of where I have it routed.
So you aren't bleeding it? I am confused by your post. You need to actually bleed the slave, not just do the ranger method on the reservoir.

I will do it again tonight as I replaced that clutch pedal return spring and it helps but still tries to disengage at the floor almost sometimes mainly when leaving from a stop in say first or when parking.
Leave the stupid spring off. It will only camouflage a pedal-return issue. If the pressure plate isn't enough force to return the pedal, then you have bigger problems.

It feels fine when I get on it or shift hard its just really when parking or starting from a stop. I am not sure what else to make of it yet other than I think the Tick has an issue.
Why do you feel the Tick has a problem? With the clutch in, 1st gear engaged, and the car on flat ground, hold the engine at 6k rpm for about 5 seconds. If the car rolls forward, it is not fully disengaging, and there is a hydraulic issue.

Jack

Last edited by cptinjak; 11-05-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Cross
Pro

Originally Posted by cptinjak
So you aren't bleeding it? I am confused by your post. You need to actually bleed the slave, not just do the ranger method on the reservoir.
Sorry I was not clear on this but to clear it up I am opening the speed bleeder and flushing all fluid then using that to bleed the system just as you would any other bleeding method. However the way the speed bleeder works I am not sure that it does not allow air back in the system while just flushing through while I am flushing it and because of its new location might not be coming out.
I also find myself wondering just how well they work compared to a normal bleeder fitting.

Leave the stupid spring off. It will only camouflage a pedal-return issue. If the pressure plate isn't enough force to return the pedal, then you have bigger problems.
I have been running without the spring since I did my second clutch master swap which was also after the first new clutch and pressure plate. After the 3rd I switched to the Tick and then after that did not solve the issue I removed the clutch and installed the Spec Stage +3.

Why do you feel the Tick has a problem? With the clutch in, 1st gear engaged, and the car on flat ground, hold the engine at 6k rpm for about 5 seconds. If the car rolls forward, it is not fully disengaging, and there is a hydraulic issue.

Jack
I am aware of this test and the car does fine with it. After the first batch of issues with replacing every part of the system and then moving to the Tick and it still not fixing this issue this is how I found out the new clutch was bad and why I switched to a Spec one.

The car is not pushing back and disengaging its engaging and disengaging just fine. The issue is its changing engagement locations mainly when parking or in stop and go still in first with stopping. The pedal suddenly reengages the clutch right at the floor almost and doesn't come up completely, then after pushing it in again it goes back to normal.

Pushing it I have no issues with the clutch not staying engaged either as I did before when we found the faulty pressure plate on my first new clutch. This clutch holds with no issues at all and the pedal pressure is nice and firm when in use. however the strange engagement issue is what i am troubleshooting and at this point it seems like a master issues as its obviously working but not as it normally would.
I have noticed an air sound when pushing in but that was last night and I am not sure if I was just hearing something because I am over thinking it or not so I am going to try again today and see.

Hopefully that makes it a little clearer.

Last edited by Cross; 11-05-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Pedal Randomly not coming up as far but still working...?

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Randomly not coming up as far but still working...?