C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Bent shift fork and 3rd syncro

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Possible Bent shift fork and 3rd syncro

Have a 2001 Z06 with 63k miles that is having a few issues.

Was out driving it the other day and did a 3-4 shift and the car got stuck in 4th gear after lots of effort it came out and eventually drove pretty good. I feel like the 3-4 fork bent a bit or something was out of alignment.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...+Stuck+in+Gear

I also on ocassion have a grind going into 3rd which I believe is a weak syncro. The slave is pretty new, clutch is pretty new (ls7), and it has a properly lined up new MGW shifter.

Its so hit or miss now with the 3rd gear and the car shifts fine everywhere else. It generally only grinds when you down shift into 3rd not when you are hard 2-3 for example which was kinda strange?

Likely going to wait till dead of winter and do a rebuild with Master overhaul kit for Corvette. This kit includes:

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th three piece carbon / kevlar synchronizer ring assemblies
brass reverse synchronizer ring
front seal & rear seals (inner & outer)
shift fork pads
synchronizer keys
retaining springs
shifter pivot bushing
all mainshaft gear bearings
all mainshaft & countershaft bearings & races - Koyo Hi-Cap
complete shim pack
snap ring kit
reverse wave washer

( I may just do 3rd gear syncro and supporting parts as all the other syncros etc feel great) Honestly after further thinking to myself my best bet may be to tear down trans and then order parts needed. It gets expensive quick. I did the master kit on my GTO but it had over 100k miles on it

Regardless I will still add steal 3-4 fork, Billet keys, and bronze pads.

Am I missing anything? Other shift forks ok?

Also friend has a shop with 4 post lift . Can it be done there or is 2 post reqired? Thanks!

Last edited by PEETYZ; 11-12-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Possible Bent shift fork and 3rd syncro