C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze smell, low coolant, smoke from rear engine, can't find the leak?

Old 11-24-2012, 03:28 PM
polo1134
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Antifreeze smell, low coolant, smoke from rear engine, can't find the leak?

I noticed today my antifreeze is low in the plastic tank, and have been smelling antifreeze coolant after long drives. I have smoke coming from the back side of the engine (passenger side mostly) when I turn the car off after a drive. I was assuming that the smoke might be the oil pressure sensor leaking oil but now I think it's coolant dripping onto the exhaust/manifolds. No puddles of coolant under car and I can't see any leaks in or around the plastic tank.

I did have the A/C compressor changed about 6 months ago, and had to go in for them to fix a leak behind the A/C compressor about a month ago. That is when I noticed the coolant smell. Could they have messed something up.... water pump gasket?

I'm taking the car back to the mechanic on Monday but I would like to try and trouble shoot the problem before I do. Has anyone had a similar problem... any ideas what it could be?

Car is a 2000 M6. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

A few things near the rear passenger side to check quickly with a mirror and flashlight. There is a plug between spark plug #6 and #8. Second, there is a freeze plug behind the head that might also be the source. Next, there is either a steam vent plug or a cross-over tube connection to the inside of each head (similar to the front except the front has a cross-over tube) that might be leaking as well. If it just started, the steam vent plug would be my first guess if the leak is truly isolated to the rear of the motor.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Determine whether what you see is smoke or steam. That is important.
My first thought was a loose/leaking heater hose.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You also might take a look at your coolant tank after its pressured up. Mine had a small pin hole leak that was shooting to the back engine. Thus, no puddles.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That being true. Actually, my leak was on the tank itself. Its in the corner area because of the way the tanks are made , the corners are the weak spots.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 PM
polo1134
Racer

I will check those areas closely this afternoon. I really don't think its the tank as I replaced it a year ago.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Definitely examine the hoses to the surge tank. Fairly common problem is having the plastic nipples on the surge tank crack due to age and heat and allowing coolant to slowly leak out or get pushed out under cooling system pressure..

do you smell coolant near the tank?
Old 12-15-2017, 05:54 PM
Evan Sanza
Intermediate

Originally Posted by polo1134
I noticed today my antifreeze is low in the plastic tank, and have been smelling antifreeze coolant after long drives. I have smoke coming from the back side of the engine (passenger side mostly) when I turn the car off after a drive. I was assuming that the smoke might be the oil pressure sensor leaking oil but now I think it's coolant dripping onto the exhaust/manifolds. No puddles of coolant under car and I can't see any leaks in or around the plastic tank.

I did have the A/C compressor changed about 6 months ago, and had to go in for them to fix a leak behind the A/C compressor about a month ago. That is when I noticed the coolant smell. Could they have messed something up.... water pump gasket?

I'm taking the car back to the mechanic on Monday but I would like to try and trouble shoot the problem before I do. Has anyone had a similar problem... any ideas what it could be?

Car is a 2000 M6. Thanks for your help.
I’m having near identical issue. Did you find a resolution to the problem?
Old 12-16-2017, 07:39 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

What year is your car? Have you checked the plastic tanks connections, etc.? How about the water pump? It will weep coolant when it starts to go. Any puddles?

Get notified of new replies

To Antifreeze smell, low coolant, smoke from rear engine, can't find the leak?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antifreeze smell, low coolant, smoke from rear engine, can't find the leak?