C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have an oil leak

Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Default I have an oil leak

And I am somewhat convinced it's the oil pressure switch/sending unit. I have oil running down the rear of the engine mainly on the drivers side but a little on the pass side as well. I discovered this leak yesterday when I was changing oil. But I actually knew it was leaking a couple days ago as I smelled oil on my exhaust.

My unit still reads properly but this is the only thing I think of that can explain the leak. Except maybe that other sensor that's in close proximity I've read about here. I have the sensor/switch tool and haven't decided which method I'm going to use but my main question is.

Is there any other thing this could possibly be? Oil is running down the rear of the engine and goes as far up as I can see with a flash light. I didn't notice it leaking at idle after I changed the oil but when I got back from a test drive and store run I crawled back under it and it was leaking, in my mind, pretty bad.

Also I wonder if a Northstar switch would work as I bought one for my STS but don't need it? (Thought I would throw that out there in case someone may know)

Thanks

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 11-26-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I just changed mine. I was worried about it being a rear main or oil pan gasket leak.
I had oil dripping all around the pan area. My oil pressure was reading fine but they leak up through the wires and down the back of the engine.

I don't think you can use the Northstar unit as the threads on the Vette one are M16x1.5. and the plug may be different.

You can do a search on replacing, there is the remove the intake manifold method or go through your wiper cowl (you will have to remove the wiper cover and cut a hole about 3" in diameter and this method takes less than an hour.

I replaced mine with a sensor from Advance Auto Parts (BWD brand ), it is a brass unit and seems to function properly.

Last edited by clegg; 11-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:59 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by clegg
I just changed mine. I was worried about it being a rear main or oil pan gasket leak.
I had oil dripping all around the pan area. My oil pressure was reading fine but they leak up through the wires and down the back of the engine.

I don't think you can use the Northstar unit as the threads on the Vette one are M16x1.5. and the plug may be different.

You can do a search on replacing, there is the remove the intake manifold method or go through your wiper cowl (you will have to remove the wiper cover and cut a hole about 3" in diameter and this method takes less than a hour.

I replaced mine with a sensor from Advance Auto Parts (BWD brand ), it is a brass unit and seems to function properly.
Yeah when I first saw mine I thought oh no, a rear main. But then I followed the trail of oil and figured it couldn't be that.

I first thought it looked like a bolt leaking but it seemed to go on up the engine. I wiped it all off before I went to the store and when I got back it was like a stream running down the back of the engine.

I didn't think I could use the Northstar unit but I have read that some have used a Buick unit and it worked so I thought I would ask.

I think I'm going to try the method described without taking off the intake, but not the cutout method, but if it's too much of a pain I will take the intake off. It doesn't seem like too big of a deal. Now I wish I had a new intake to put on. Oh well.

I have my FSM's if I get stumped. Just wanted to know if it could possibly be anything else.

Thank You!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The Buick sensor can be used but has to be adapted to the Vette threads. If I were to go the remote sensor route, the Buick unit would be the one to use. Easier to adapt as it has NPT threads.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Thanks that reminded me. I may move my sensor while I'm doing this. Depends on the cost for the kit.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clegg
The Buick sensor can be used but has to be adapted to the Vette threads. If I were to go the remote sensor route, the Buick unit would be the one to use. Easier to adapt as it has NPT threads.

I did this mod when I replaced my knock sensors. Hardest part of the whole thing was getting the small vacuum hose back on the rear of the intake. Ended up extending it and all was good.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:30 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
Thanks that reminded me. I may move my sensor while I'm doing this. Depends on the cost for the kit.
#1 thing on my list when the motor was built..relocate that damn sensor

and yes they leak just like you described but not around the threads as you would think..they leak up through the middle

Get notified of new replies

To I have an oil leak

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have an oil leak