C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Bell
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering Question

2002 Coupe. Today I adjusted the ride height (following several DIY threads on the forum). Question: Front adjusting bolt appears to be sitting on top of a rubber bushing (between the foot on the bottom of the adjusting bolt and the top of the lower A arm). Mine are in really bad shape. Is that rubber bushing part of the A arm or part of the adjusting bolt foot? Is it replacable? What's the proper name for it and where do I get one?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a rubber bushing that is part of the bolt. A lot of people cut them off with a hacksaw to they their cars another 1/2" lower.
You don't need to replace them, they're solid...trust me, I've hacked through a spare set before.

Last edited by dblerman; 11-29-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dblerman
It's a rubber bushing that is part of the bolt. A lot of people cut them off with a hacksaw to they their cars another 1/2" lower.
Dumb idea.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipuig
Dumb idea.

Although I think completely removing the bolts is even dumber.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Bell
Pro

Mine are not solid at all. Even though I jacked up the spring to get the tension off the bolts, the bushings turned with the bolts and are partially destroyed, sticking out much farther on one side so they are not centered anymore. The aftermarket front lowering bolts that I've seen advertised don't appear to have any kind of rubber bushing under the bottom of the foot pad. I don't know what the stock bolts look like. Is it even possible to flex the spring high enough to get the bolt completely out without damaging the spring?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bell
2002 Coupe. Today I adjusted the ride height (following several DIY threads on the forum). Question: Front adjusting bolt appears to be sitting on top of a rubber bushing (between the foot on the bottom of the adjusting bolt and the top of the lower A arm). Mine are in really bad shape. Is that rubber bushing part of the A arm or part of the adjusting bolt foot? Is it replacable? What's the proper name for it and where do I get one?
They are front adjuster bolts.

Original GM adjuster bolts have a thick rubber bushing on the bottom.
You cannot buy these GM adjusterbolts.

You would have to purchase an aftermarket adjuster.
www.Zip-products.com carries them.

Aftermarket adjuster on the left with thin rubber pad & GM adjustment bolt with bushing on the right.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bell
Mine are not solid at all. Even though I jacked up the spring to get the tension off the bolts, the bushings turned with the bolts and are partially destroyed, sticking out much farther on one side so they are not centered anymore.
Any chance you can post a pic?
After seeing how much effort it took to cut through the bushings with a hacksaw I'm curious to see how yours got destroyed.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

What happens is the bottom of the GM bushing ends up "bonded" to the arm.

So after awhile if left in that kind of condition the bushing dosen't slide on the arm any more & becomes distorted.

Bell, check your pm box.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Originally Posted by bumble-z
What happens is the bottom of the GM bushing ends up "bonded" to the arm.
So after awhile if left in that kind of condition the bushing dosen't slide on the arm any more & becomes distorted.
Okay, I gotta ask... Why would the bushing slide on the control arm? Hundreds of pounds of force are being applied between the control arm and the lowering bolt, it should not be sliding. If it did, the rubber would tear off on the first bumpy road you drove down.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

It slides. Take the lower arm off the car, and you will see the wear marks.
The A-arm travels in an arc, so it has to slide.
The material of the pad is rather like a hard plasticised rubber.

And Bumble is correct, they do end up stuck to the arm and the pad distorts. The bolt then ends up bending.

One of my bolts was bent....and stuck in the spring. When I bought Z06front spring, it had a bent bolt in it as well.

It is probably a good idea to apply some grease under the pad.

Ron
Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Well, whether it is slides or not,
When those GM stock bushings are subjected to forces front & backwards, after a while the bushings become distorted.
Instead of being straight they become angled.... looking like the Leaning Tower Of Pisa.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Damn, that's crazy. I didn't think it could damage a bolt that bad. When I lowered my car I couldn't turn the bolts, they were completely frozen in the threaded sleeves. PB blaster for 48 hours, torch, even tried using a pipe wrench on the bushing and didn't budge...Figured I would cut the bushings to get it lowered since I couldn't turn the bolt..Took about 30 minutes of sawing with a hack saw to get through the bushing. Car didn't get as low as I wanted. Ended up removing the spring from the car and clamping the bushing in a vise and used the spring as leverage. Broke the sleeve from inside the spring before the bolt would break loose. Decided to call it quits and picked up a used spring for $25.
After seeing how much beating the bushing could take I just assumed they were indestructable
Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Bell
Pro

I will likely be replacing them soon. I will post a pic to show just how bad they are.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Bell
Pro

Also, I've discovered that Mid America has a pdf Tech Instructions for the aftermarket replacements for these bolts and their recommendation is, "... be sure to apply a generous amount of Silicone Lube or Grease to the spring cushions".
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by bumble-z
Well, whether it is slides or not,
When those GM stock bushings are subjected to forces front & backwards, after a while the bushings become distorted.
Instead of being straight they become angled.... looking like the Leaning Tower Of Pisa.

Perfect analogy!

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering Question

Quick Reply: Lowering Question