C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Southern Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM
hornet7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Moving to Southern Maryland

Hi gang, I'm going to be moving to So. Maryland in late October and would like to get in contact with the local club and find advice on road conditions in the winter, what places to stay away from and club events to meet people.

Thanks
Steve
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Check out Corvette Club of America.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:46 PM
darkstar.c5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

md can get some significant snow.. but last year we had several days in dec and jan that were pretty nice... and i had already stored my car for the winter... sept-oct but by halloween, its pretty cold... i cant speak about any car clubs or where to go/avoid in that neck of the woods..
Old 09-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

there's some really good air in November / early December at Maryland International Raceway (MIR)
Old 09-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I moved to southern MD a little over a year ago and everyone I asked had differeing opinions on whether I should drive the Vette year round so I went ahead and bought a cheap Jeep for the winter. Ended up never needing it last year and decided to sell it. This year I'll just find a ride to work if we ever get weather I wouldn't want the Vette in.

I'm not part of a particular club but if you want to get together with some C5 guys I know a few in the area and might be able to put something together

What brings you to SoMD?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM
hornet7
Racer

Default So.Maryland

F-35 Flight Test. I'm PM you
Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been here for 20+ years. I drive my car all year long. When inclement weather is predicted, I drive the truck. If it snows it doens't stick around very long 3 maybe 4 days. Road salt is worse then snow. If they think it's gonna snow they close the schools. You'll be fine unless it's your only ride and it does snow.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM
hornet7
Racer

Default Corvette service

Hi, Jumper11 and thanks for the tip. I have a Lexus GX-470 SUV so it’s not a problem. Like Turbopower, I also tried contacting Maryland Speed for Code help, with no reply I guess that have plenty of money so I'll take all my Vette work and upgrades elsewhere.
I been trying figure out the Vehicle inspection and car registration requirements in this state. If I'm moving to St Mary's county, do I need to get the Vehicle Inspection and the Smog test?
I also like the idea of have a get together with other vettes in the area. Have you guys heard of a Mystery Lunch Run? We follow the leader to a hide restrurent of their liking to introduce everyone to the area. I've done this with Corvettes of Temecula Valley and at times we have has 20 to 30 Vettes on our caravan. Check out the web site.
http://www.corvettesoftv.com/#
Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the deal in St Mary's county. If you're going to be here longer than a year you need to register your car in MD. You can risk keeping your tag and if u get caught you'll have to get it done quick. As far as inspection, you only need to do it if you register your car in Md. St Marys county doesn't have an smog test. St Charles and Calvert do. Go figure. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to Southern Maryland

Quick Reply: Moving to Southern Maryland