C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A Heads and Cam installed (long)! Thanks Andy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 01:54 PM
benelliwang
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A&A Heads and Cam installed (long)! Thanks Andy!

Short Version:
1. Andy is the best forum vendor; he went out of his ways to help me out.
2. Stage1 Heads are awesome!
3. Andy’s car is a monster, way faster then the Viper I rode in.
4. Header installation is very pain in the ****.

Long Version:
Several months back, I bought a cam and springs from Andy, and I have being trying to find a vender near me ever since. One guy here in LV wants $1400 labor for just the cam install, yeh right. So I emailed Andy back about the situation and he said he would install the cam for a small fee. Somewhere in the exchange of emails, I ended up getting a different cam, stage 1 heads, and RK Sports long tube headers. How did that happened?

The drive from Vegas to LA averaged 27.8 MPG, which was worse then my last trip of 31 MPG. Must be the 100 degrees temp! On Saturday morning I drove for 2 more hours and arrived at Andy’s place at 9am. That trip was 31.2 MPG. We took a ride in his car first and holy shiiiiiieeeznit! It’s the fastest car I ever rode in! The previous record holder of my SOTP meter was a stock Viper and a Turbo Charged, 600HP, ford truck. It was a monster. Then we started the work.

We first installed dual springs and titanium retainers in the heads, and then we started to tear the car apart. There are so many bolts! I was hoping that I can learn the whole procedure and maybe I can do a cam swap myself in the future. No, it’s too complex and too many parts to take out; it would take me a week to do it. In my opinion, it’s better to pay someone to do the job. By end of the day, we had the cam in, heads installed and the headers sitting in the engine bay.

Then we watched the Lewis Vs. Tyson fight and he cooked me a great dinner. I felt like I was at a Bed & Breakfast! Heads/Cam and a movie dinner, you can’t beat it!

The next day, things weren’t as smooth. Andy got sick, very sick. I felt really bad having him working on the car. But he gritted his teeth and kept on going. We had to stop several times to rest and things are going slower. By 3pm the car is put back together and the only thing we need to do is the headers. The RK Sport headers are coated and it looks great! Very pretty, should be on a display instead of the engine bay. But I did notice some minor burrs in the tubes; they should have de-burred the inside of the tubes. But I am not gonna worry about it since it’s not that bad. The header install was a major pain, a lot of adjustments and cutting and welding. To make things harder for us, Mr. Murphy of the famed Murphy’s Law decided to visit us. The headers didn’t come with nuts and bolts, so we had to go buy them at 5:30 pm on a Sunday. And the welder ran out of gas. Keep in mind Andy is sick. We did the best we can on the exhaust with what’s left of our welding wires and the car was completed by 9pm.

When we turn on the car, it fired right up! Oh boy oh boy oh boy, it’s alive! The car idles fine and there are no codes. There is exhaust leak due to the fact that we ran out of gas to weld, but I will fix that at a muffler shop. We took it for a spin and this car is a beast! Not a monster like Andy’s but it is a beast! My SOTP meter tells me that it is just a hair faster then a Gen I Viper. Keep in mind that I have Stock air box and mufflers! But the time is running out, I quickly said goodbye to Andy and went back to pick my wife up back in Pomona. We left Pomona and got home at 2am. The car averaged 25.6 MPG; this is with all the exhaust parts in the back, going up hills and average 85 to 95 MPH! This car hauls butt! 2nd gear pull is amazing. I just left the car in 6th gear and the car just went up the steep mountains like it was flat. The exhaust leak is annoying and I will fix that soon. The drivability is amazing; I did not have to change my driving style at all. And in the 6-½ hours of driving since the install, the car did not throw a single code! Except for the Lope at the idle, this is a total sleeper. The best part, it’s much cheaper then all the other H/C installs! Thanks Andy!
Old 06-10-2002, 02:03 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 438 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: A&A Heads and Cam installed (long)! Thanks Andy! (benelliwang)

Yeah I think he cooked "Jose Quervo Tequilla" Jumbo Shrimp when I stayed the night at his house the first night. We needed some form of alcohol after being stranded at sea for 4 hours on jet ski's and his big boat (a very long story best told over a beer).

He is quick sometimes too quick! But does good work...I guess he's alright. :D
Old 06-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Phil97SVT
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What cam did you end up going with?
Phillip :cheers:
Old 06-10-2002, 04:25 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: A&A Heads and Cam installed (Phil97SVT)

We took the 224 MMS (114LSA) out of my car and put it in his.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:37 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

:cheers: Congrats on your re-born ride. Enjoy it!

On a side note, based on everything I've read here about Andy for the last few months, I now believe he is not human, that he's an alien from a much more advanced civilization. How else would you explain all these amazing feats? :jester :lol:
Old 06-10-2002, 06:11 PM
jeffh355
Burning Brakes

Great story! Thanx for sharing. Andy has a great reputation I've noticed and look forward to doing some business in the future with him. Hey Andy, you do Dyno Tuning yet???
Old 06-10-2002, 06:55 PM
benelliwang
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A&A Heads and Cam installed (Patches)

On a side note, based on everything I've read here about Andy for the last few months, I now believe he is not human, that he's an alien from a much more advanced civilization. How else would you explain all these amazing feats? :jester :lol:
I can confirm he is not human: He left thumb lights up like a flash light, his right index finger is a torque wrench, loktite comes out of his left snout, and all other tools are stored in his..... :jester
Old 06-10-2002, 07:05 PM
Stu in CA
Pro

Geez, I'm researching and wavering between the DIY ATI SC and the DIY A&A H&C, but now I have to consider the A&A B&B, too?

Seriously though, anyone have any advice re the mentioned Stage 1's and a cam for an A4? Is there that much more to be gained going to Stage II's?

I am shying away from the ATI SC, after hearing about the need for dyno tuning (because the included SuperChips programming isn't likely to be plug and play). I thought I'd go with ATI's 5#/490 crank output, but it isn't that much more than what I see H/C/Headers doing at the wheels.

I guess my question is H&C & headers only or ATI SC only, on an A4/3.42?
Old 06-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Wt99C5
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A&A Heads and Cam installed (Andy@AandACorvette)

Andy, have you ever considered creating an install document with pics? Many of us have the tools and ability to install new heads and cam, but lack the confidence to get the job done.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:30 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 438 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: A&A Heads and Cam installed (Stu in CA)

Hey Stu,
Stage II's on a 5.7L really don't make that much more power then the Stage 1's. Stage II's start to shine on a stoker or super stroker. Just call the tuners and ask them. I bought Stage II because most of the work is done when it comes time to go to a big bore..then they actually can become stage III's. Andy's heads (Stage I) are flowing at 290 or very close to 300. They are great looking heads. If I did not have my ARE's...I would have them. I think his Stage 1's made over 400 RWHP. That was without a big cam or crank pulley and 4:10 gears.

In fact if you buy some low compression heads, maybe we can make a deal and then I can run 9-12 lbs of boost. My ARE heads were just completely reworked for safety sake and are like new! But the hi compression will limit me to a 5 lb pulley.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:34 AM
benelliwang
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A&A Heads and Cam installed (Wt99C5)

Andy, have you ever considered creating an install document with pics? Many of us have the tools and ability to install new heads and cam, but lack the confidence to get the job done.
I am a beginner mechanic and have being doing all the mods myself, this includes bolt ons, suspension, brakes, and shifters. I also helped Andy with this H/C install a long the way. I will say this: If I have to install another set of heads and cam, I will ask/beg/pay Andy to do it again. There are just too much bolts and things to take off, put on, remember, change. Andy, did heads, cam, and headers in 2 day. It will likely take me 6 days to do it and I have learned all the steps with Andy. If I have another person to help me with, I may be able to get it done in 3 to 4 days. Too much work and I may just plug in a wrong wire or connect the coolant fluid to the oil line....

[Modified by benelliwang, 12:35 AM 6/11/2002]
Old 06-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Da Kind
Burning Brakes

I hear his work is good.

But maybe it's his cooking that got him sick :D

Good story.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:56 PM
benelliwang
Burning Brakes

Quick update on the car, I found out the AC was not working yesterday. Upon close inspection, the belt fell off. No AC in 100+ weather is not good. I put the belt back up and the AC is blow cold air now. :cheers:

The exhaust shop welded up the exhaust leaks today and the car is a TOTAL SLEEPER!!! You can only hear the lope if your are standing directly behind the car. You can't hear really the lope if you are in the car or next to it. It's a good and bad situation. It's bad because I love the lopey idle, it's good becuase only experienced people will know I have a cam. :D

Also, when the engine reach past 3000 rpm, it sounds like a Ferrari! Which is good!

And, still no error codes.

[Modified by benelliwang, 4:00 PM 6/11/2002]
Old 06-11-2002, 06:16 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Great story :cheers:
Old 06-11-2002, 06:34 PM
Phil97SVT
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: A&A Heads and Cam installed (benelliwang)

What was the difference in sound on the new heads and cam vs the stockers? Can you describe it?
Phillip :cheers:
Old 06-11-2002, 06:50 PM
benelliwang
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A&A Heads and Cam installed (Phil97SVT)

Shoot, forgot to describe the exhaust. Here it is:
RK Sports coated long tube headers
A&A X-Pipe
Removed H-Pipe
High Flow Cats
A&A Exhaust Mod already in the car

The car is quite loud at high rpm, but pretty quiet when cruising. When you just rev the engine, it sounds like an American V8. But when you are moving and floor it, it sounds awefully like a Ferrari above 3000 rpm.

Here is a funny story: When it was leaking exhaust, you can hear a hissing sound at 5k+ rpm. Sounds like I have a BOV :lol: Fake Turbo Baby!!! LOL :lol:
Old 06-11-2002, 09:12 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: A&A Heads and Cam installed (Da Kind)

HEY!! You can insult my work , but if you ate at my house you'd take back your words about my cooking!
When Kevin ( Shinobi's 97) was here I made Sauteed Prawns with Tequila sauce. It's made with large prawns sauteed in garlic and butter with a sauce made with Tequila , lime juice , cilantro and heavy whipping cream , served over rice.
When Will was here I made seared scallops with an orange cream sauce. I actually like to cook more than work on cars, if you can believe that.
How many Corvette shops treat their customers like that!! :D

Get notified of new replies

To A&A Heads and Cam installed (long)! Thanks Andy!

Old 06-12-2002, 03:33 AM
benelliwang
Burning Brakes

I recommend Andy open a Bed and Breakfast :lol: We drive to B&B, eat good food, play at the beach and return home with a 400HP car :D :cheers:
Old 06-12-2002, 10:40 AM
2000^C5
Race Director

Awesome!!
Old 06-12-2002, 11:18 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

:cool:

Quick Reply: A&A Heads and Cam installed (long)! Thanks Andy!