C5 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C5 products, services and promotions.

Check out our Big 3 kit!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
OK, I'd like to see that test with high fans, headlights and AC all running.

0.2V wasn't much of a change but I assume that car had the new grounds installed and the battery to under hood fuse box wire installed. In other words, you were only showing the effect of the charging wire, not all other wires?

I will say it looks like a very well put together kit.
We can't do any more test on our Vette at the moment because we have the engine out to add more HP.
Correct, we are showing whats getting to the battery.
But if the voltage jumped .2 it shows that all the voltage from the alt is not making it to the battery. To me, it also shows there is room for improvement.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Ordered ... tired of my headlights dimming in time with my turn signals

At first my frugality kicked in and said "$120 for freaking wires?!?! no way!"

Then I tried to assemble my own Big 3 this weekend, and I decided that between getting the wires, cutting them to the right lengths, crimping terminators on them, getting a fuse box and fuse, and trying to jury-rig something to those side posts (ooooh I see you have some magical, custom extended fasteners!) that I was going to cost myself way more than $120 worth of my time to save a few bucks on materials.

*bullet bitten*

Thank you wcsinx for your business, we really appreciate it.

When we start designing this kit we didn't think we would have to sell it at that price. But as we started adding up the cost of everything and the amount of labor to make it, it is what it is.
I know a lot of people look at it and say $120 for some wire, but when they start trying to find all the parts and spend all the time to make a high quality kit that fits right $120 is not so bad. As Choreo here on this post found out. I see he put a lot into his kit.
Good job Choreo!

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:39 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
We can't do any more test on our Vette at the moment because we have the engine out to add more HP.
Correct, we are showing whats getting to the battery.
But if the voltage jumped .2 it shows that all the voltage from the alt is not making it to the battery. To me, it also shows there is room for improvement.
I agree and that test wasn't showing the gains by installing the other wires since there were in place. Also, you didn't have as much load as you could have applied and that should show more voltage drop too.

Good luck in the HP quest.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

I agree and that test wasn't showing the gains by installing the other wires since there were in place. Also, you didn't have as much load as you could have applied and that should show more voltage drop too.

Good luck in the HP quest.
I must be miss understanding, not sure what other wires? All the factory wires were connected during the test. We were just connecting and disconnecting the Big3.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You were unhooking the new main feed from the alternator, right? Weren't the new ground wires still in place?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I know a lot of people look at it and say $120 for some wire, but when they start trying to find all the parts and spend all the time to make a high quality kit that fits right $120 is not so bad.
Yeah, it really isn't. I mean unless you're working for slave wages, you're going to end up spending a lot more than that in your time.

Funny thing is I scratched my head for awhile trying to figure out how to piggyback off the OEM sidepost connectors without 1. compromising their functionality and 2. looking "Bubba". Then I said to myself, "I wonder what those Sac guys did?" Then I saw your slick custom fasteners, muttered to myself a bit, and pulled out my credit card.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

You were unhooking the new main feed from the alternator, right? Weren't the new ground wires still in place?
Yes that's correct.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Yeah, it really isn't. I mean unless you're working for slave wages, you're going to end up spending a lot more than that in your time.

Funny thing is I scratched my head for awhile trying to figure out how to piggyback off the OEM sidepost connectors without 1. compromising their functionality and 2. looking "Bubba". Then I said to myself, "I wonder what those Sac guys did?" Then I saw your slick custom fasteners, muttered to myself a bit, and pulled out my credit card.

It took us a while to figure out a clean way to do the top post for C5 and C6 Vettes. No cutting of factory wires and a clean simple bolt on. This is what we came up with. Only issue is that it is a bit more expensive to do, but worth it for those that want the best!
Attached Images   

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 09-28-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Well ... crap

I installed my Big 3 kit on Friday. Didn't go anywhere yesterday. Went to start it up today, and I got "Charge System Fault" and "Low Voltage" messages on the DIC. But the messages would come and go. I'd start it once, and it'd be perfectly fine. 20 minutes later ... blah ... messages, dim display, ECM couldn't cycle up, etc.

So I pulled all 3 leads to the battery off ... same thing
Pulled the alternator lead off ... same thing

So at this point all I have left from SAC still attached is the head to frame ground, and the side post fasteners.

Couldn't see how the head to frame ground could cause that, so I swapped the side post fasteners back to the stockers, and just like that the problems disappeared. Upon closer inspection, the seating surface of the fasteners they're using is significantly smaller than stock. The difference is about 1/10" of an inch in diameter which doesn't sound like much until you see that 1/10" means the difference of applying pressure on the entire surface of the cable terminator fitting v/s just the inside lip. And that was enough to keep me from getting good system voltage even after torquing it down so hard I was worried about stripping out the battery threads.

Now please anyone reading this don't take this as me publicly slagging SAC. They have a good product at a fair price. It just needs a little debugging. I'm fairly confident that I can get this to work with a couple washers. I measured the diameter of the stock seating surface as ~18 mm. So I shall make a stop at Ace tomorrow and see what I can find.

[edit] nope ... nevermind, that wasn't the problem. It acted up after work today with everything back to stock. Pulled the ignition switch, and several of the contacts were burnt (one quite badly so), cleaned them off, and stuck it back in and all seems back to normal now. Third damn time I've done that, so I'm ordering a new one right now. I guess it was just coincidental timing. I'm still going to try to get some washers though to give the post fastener a larger clamping area.

Last edited by wcsinx; 02-18-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 AM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Hi wcsinx,
Thank you for your business, we apperciate it!
Glad you got it figured out and thanks for clearing up that it wasnt our Big 3.
We have several of our Big 3 kits installed with zero connection
issues. There is only a .060" difference between the stock terminal bolt and ours. Thats only .030" difference around the edge and shouldnt affect anything. I really dont think washers will make a difference.
Thanks agian!
Christian
Attached Images   
Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

There is only a .060" difference between the stock terminal bolt and ours. Thats only .030" difference around the edge and shouldnt affect anything. I really dont think washers will make a difference.
Thanks agian!
Christian
You're probably right. I want to get some washers anyway to get the bolt head to stand out slightly more though. As it is, it starts to bury itself under that silicone terminal cap.

Speaking of those caps, one thing I did differently from your install video was I actually pulled your alternator terminator through the same cap as the stocker. It's stretchy enough to accommodate both, and the install looks a little cleaner that way.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Thats cool that you able to slip the wire in the in the boot like
that.
Our boot was kind of stiff.

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 02-20-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

update: took some time this weekend and put in a new ignition switch, fixed my falling HUD, and hooked the Sac Big 3 back up.

There is a noticeable improvement in power delivery. I used to be able to hear my blower motor slow down while I raised/lowered the windows. That doesn't happen anymore. Nor do my headlights dim in time with the turn signals.

This is a worthwhile mod.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the update wcsinx! We appreciate it and your
business!
Sound like a real nice improvement.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 PM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guessing this will also help correct the headlights/interior lights dimming when the window motors are under load or using turn signals.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by AntonioZ06
I'm guessing this will also help correct the headlights/interior lights dimming when the window motors are under load or using turn signals.
Hi Antonio,
wcsinx says it fixed his.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

I wish you guys had this a year ago. I had to make my own from separate components.

Get notified of new replies

To Check out our Big 3 kit!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 AM
blackcrow64
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Just placed my order!! Almost time to get the Z06 out for the season!!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Thank you for your Business Brain, we really appreciate it!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:34 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I purchased your kit before I decided to relocate my battery to the rear of the car. My 2000 coupe is in for major engine, drive train, interior upgrades and I am adding a number of new gauges, and electrical components (switches, relays, etc.). I am also moving the battery to the rear to make room for either a centralized relay panel (11 new relays) or a self contained fuel cell for the nitrous system. I have the components for the relocation of the battery (cables (1ga), battery box) but with the battery in the rear, should I run an upgraded positive cable from the alternator to the rear mounted battery or to the positive post on the engine compartment fuse box , which will be fed from the rear mounted battery? Would doing so negate any benefit of the upgraded cable from the alternator?

I would be upgrading the ground cable from battery to frame in the rear, and would upgrade the frame to engine ground cable as well. Any information would be appreciated as I am admittedly no expert in this area. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Check out our Big 3 kit!