C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symptoms of Front and Rear Road Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Symptoms of Front and Rear Road Noise...

I've done a lot of work to the car recently which theoretically increases the transmission of NVH to the cabin, but I've picked up some noises which I think are signs of things Just Not Right.

(I've put in a rebuilt torque tube with poly couplers; I've installed Hinson motor mounts; and I've installed a Pfadt transmission mount)

What does a bad wheel bearing / bad hub sound like?

What does a bad output shaft / differential sound like?

Noise #1 is a periodic from the left front, which can be felt as a vibration in the steering wheel and pedals, and can be "almost-heard" (very high frequency) which can set your teeth on edge. Feels like something is rubbing. It has a "worst" condition, 4th gear and 50 mph.

The wheels and balancing are brand new and I don't appear to be missing any weights (inside sticky weights). The vibration feels like it's contact-induced.

Noise #2 is wheel-speed-related (not engine speed) - it's a low droning sound from the left rear, more than anything else like VERY obnoxious tire noise. It's constant with wheel speed - if I shift gears but don't accelerate or decelerate, it remains constant.

I have relatively new tires, Bridgestone RE760 in 18/295/35. I don't know if they're known for being droners.

This all seemed to start right after a 1200-mile road trip.

Car drives straight; doesn't pull right or left at constant highway speeds. Drifts right under gentle acceleration at highway speeds.

Car has 158,000 miles of smiles currently.

Quick Reply: Symptoms of Front and Rear Road Noise...